View Single Post
Old 28-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Hospital cover, who has it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
If you put the $3-4k a year in premiums into a bank term deposit, statistically you will be miles ahead.

It's a numbers game that the funds play, and they make huge profits...all from us suckers.

Let's not pretend that if you need urgent surgery for a broken something or another that the only way they will treat you is if you have health insurance.

I can walk into any medical facility in the world...slap the Visa card on the front desk and get attended to straight away.

Cash is the universal health insurance system....100% cover.
Absolutely without a doubt.

I wouldn't call anyone a sucker who has it though, I think it's jest being led into a false sense of security, as we're led to believe that our public system is crap.
Nothing could be further from the truth as we probably have the best public system in the world.

From my experience only a couple months ago with my father, the system worked exceptionally well, from the ambos, to the ICU, to the ward.
My father had a brain aneurysm, was in ICU for 2 weeks and a ward for a week, didn't cost them a penny. I talked them out of health insurance a few years back.

I also had a nose job many years ago, elective surgery, and I opened my wallet.
I had to wait the same time an insured person did, had the same care, choice of Dr, hospital, etc, and the majority of it was covered by Medicare. In fact I paid less than someone who would have been insured at the time, plus the insured person is paying ongoing.

There really is no need for health insurance in OZ, make no mistake, you will pay more with it.