View Single Post
Old 19-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #139
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
My issue is being bored. My mind is powerful enough in me that those thoughts do come to front and I need things to distract this, like Xbox, cooking, walking (I walk 6km a day at the moment), cleaning, washing, work, hell anything to keep me focused on a task.
Join a sporting club if you arent already, best thing i ever did.

I was never really a 'club sports' type of kid growing up, i ran and rode motor x bikes on my own.
I've always been a bit reserved, never mixed in large groups, kept a few staunch friends for ever but rarely let others close.
When things got bad i'd just bottle it up.
My Wife and i had been together for almost 20yrs, but there were still things she didnt understand about me, and a lot of that was my own fault.

One day a neighbour asked me down to the local lawn bowls club for a roll.
I knew nothing about bowls, but i didnt mind a couple of frothies and there arent too many safer and welcoming environments than a bowls club. Yeah its mainly a bunch of oldies but they are always up for a chat and the bull**** flows freely, so down i went.

Regardless of how my game of bowls is today, the network of genuine caring people that i have met through the game is priceless.

Im not working full time at the moment so to keep myself sane i've been down the club for the past 7 weeks completely redecorating the place inside and out, the first time its been touched in 23 years so you can imagine the work involved. It was going to cost them about $10k to have it all done, i made it my gift to them for the support and sense of belonging that they have provided me.
Thats the other good thing about clubs, never a shortage of jobs to do, never enough volunteers.

People dont give the sport of bowls enough credit, i mean, how many sports allow you to concentrate for a total of 60 seconds every 10 minutes and for that other 9 minutes you can stand on the bank with a coldie and sledge the crap out of your team mates.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: