View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 02:05 AM   #38
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Dent puller for au2 bonnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Perth used to have wreckers you could help yourself at, as mentioned pick-a-part in kenwick for all you could carry for $50 was great.
Lot's of good wreckers (like that one) closed 20+ years ago because the land got too valuable. Of the ones that didn't close -Yards got smaller, whole cars couldn't be stacked up en-masse, so instead parts are stripped and stored for counter sales - with the rest crushed. So no more cars to pick over self serve style.
But 25 years ago in Perth was wondering around tonys, wanneroo wreckers and the kenwick/maddington area wreckers just fine. These days they charge so much you only buy things you can't get from China or ebay. No point going to them for anything electrical or hardware. Panels only.
Makes you wish you had a garage/yard so you could buy rolling wrecks cheap yourself for what you need and part out the rest to make some money :(

E: Every time I needed to find a wrecking yard again all my old favs were gone or turned to crap. Prices were shocking for what I wanted - 70% new price.
Best one I found was searching on facebook and a well stocked falcon wrecker was nu-koop in rockingham. If I needed something from a wrecker I was going to make the long journey there as well stocked for falcons, nearly everyone else has given up on them. Too bad they closed now too :(
Never ever had any luck over the past 2 years from wreckers. Have to get most of my stuff ex east or join facebook groups
Its hard to find the good old fashioned wrecking yard, having owned a wrecking yard for 8 years back in the late 90's I can tell you that most people think we got the cars for free and we made huge profits from everything we sold.

In reality we had to compete with other yards and pay what the car was worth, store it for god knows how long before we sold stuff off it, then every night some thieving bastard would come knock off the good $$ stuff and do more damage to the fence car and workshop than the parts were worth and between the licences, insurance, wages, rent, council, neighbours then the licencing squad we had to compete with Joe Blogs buying the car and wrecking it from home with no overheads, it was and still is a hard industry to make money in and that's why most have closed down, just to have a dealers licence you have to jump through hoops and show that you have money to back yourself, for what? so the guy across the road can buy a wreck and wreck it on his front lawn with no consequences, no licence no oil disposal, letting the air con gas off etc.

I used to have several friends that had yards, and now I have 1 left, Steve from Freo wreckers or now known as Rockingham recyclers, and he is having a hard time making ends meet, then the Guy I sold my yard to closed it down a few months back and now works at the same place I do, from the outside it seems the dream business, but its far from it.

The amount of money it costs to have a yard and fill it with stock is more than most houses are worth and give less return then the rent of one some weeks.

I could go on with all the idiots from the bottom of the human race we had to deal with on a daily basis but this thread is about slowsnakes bonnet
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: