View Single Post
Old 11-05-2024, 07:20 PM   #3042
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Is polishing before coating normal, I have never asked my coating guy if he does that. I use to hand polish in the past but what I like about ceramic coating is everything gets coated. After each wash I use Bead Maker or something similar to give that smooth just polished feel.
Ideally, you should be polishing before the application of a ceramic coating. It's the polishing and prep work that explains why it can cost four figures to have a car ceramic coated by a professional. So, while the little bottle of ceramic costs about $100 - $130, the money goes into the polishing and prep work time and labor.

Now, I say "should" because you don't need to polish to have a ceramic coating bond to the paint. It's more so that a ceramic coating will last considerably longer than a wax, so you kind of want the paint looking at its best before locking it in for 2 - 5 years. And you will get a much better result in terms of gloss and clarity with polishing.

I have applied Gyeon Can Coat EVO without polishing, mainly because it was a brand new car with minimal to no marring, all I did was a heavy decon wash and IPA wipe down before application. The irony being that I had to polish the car a year later due to water spots, taking the coating with it.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: