View Single Post
Old 27-04-2024, 09:58 PM   #2285
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Old man can't drive at the moment, so commanding the shitbox i30N for him, I hate that thing, Hyundai can't make 'sports' cars for shit, can't believe Ford left the market to those clowns

Its just a combination of little things like this which make Hyundai's N vehicles a bit of a joke, 95% of the job has been done, the last 5% is the deal breaker.

I don't think its too hard to make the throttle response instant, it is in Ford's ST range, their cars respond instantly to the tiniest throttle inputs on the pedal.
I think that 5% theory applied to the Stinger as well. Sure, they created a fast RWD sedan with distinctive styling, but the finer details dragged it down. As in average chassis dynamics, not enough rear tyre, non-switchable stability control, an engine that had no character, a gearbox that would not hold gears in manual mode and would downshift or upshift on its own.

And the thing is, Kia (and Hyundai) crowed on and on about having an ex-BMW M-car chief engineer on the payroll, which was repeatedly mentioned in each and every review or news piece about the car. But the car they delivered was nobbled with overzealous electronic nannies and a lame exhaust note. As much as anything, the Stinger was a marketing exercise with no substance, designed to convince non-car people that Kia made desirable cars.

As for the i30N, one of my detailing peers has the sedan version (Elantra N in the USA). At one point, the car would go into limp mode every time he washed the car, which have it back to the dealership to have the code cleared. Months and months later, its apparently fixed (something to do with moisture egress), but he's wary of washing the thing.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote