View Single Post
Old 25-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #24
WagonWheel

Default Re: Mondeo LX 2.3 petrol - Mazda L3 motor - engine whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-T View Post
I tried to pay attention to my 2.3 today. It makes a noise that's pretty similar, sort of a whir/whine. In comparison to the Mazda video though, the noise in my Mondeo is a lot quieter, more consistent, lower pitched and "smoother" if that makes sense. To me that Mazda sounds unhealthy in a way my car doesn't. My car's been to the mechanic a couple of times and he's not mentioned anything and it hasn't worried me at all.

If it helps, in a quiet area with no traffic, the noise in my Mondeo is only really audible below 40 km/hr when the engine is cold, dropping to 20km/hr when it warms up. It's present at cold-startup and varies with engine speed.
That makes a lot of sense because the two I drove were very different in loudness. One was really noticeable and sounded sick. The other was quieter and more noticeable at lower speeds even though it was still there at higher speeds but less noticeable. The sound seemed to change to a higher revolution pitch but yes less noticeable. I'm hoping that if there is anything wrong with one I eventually buy, a RACQ inspection will pick it up. I mainly included the Mazda example as it was the closest to the sounds I heard. It may have been like a whir/whine as you said.
WagonWheel is offline   Reply With Quote