View Single Post
Old 25-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Re: Bearmans Engine Rebuild

Yesterday was a big day. We got the motor and gearbox out and separated them. The gearbox has a leak from the front seal so that will need to be seen to. Luckily it hasn't leaked onto the clutch and contaminated it. While in the car it looked like the rear extension housing seal was the culprit but we could see oil seeping out from between the gearbox and bell housing and running along the bottom of the gearbox and dripping from the back. Removal from the bell housing confirmed this.

The clutch looks spot on, heaps of meat on the clutch plate and the pressure plate surface is mint. I'll get the pressure plate tested and if that's up to scratch I'll re-use this clutch. It felt really good when the car was mobile.

All of my suspension and steering joints and bushes are nice and tight, nothing needs to be replaced but I will have the steering box given the once over regardless and put a new pitman arm on anyway.

The tailshaft has been dropped off for new unis and a balance.

Went shopping and came back with a dented bank balance. Got the carby, dizzy, rocker covers and several other bits n' bobs. Also ordered a new steel flywheel and new bolts.

Day off today, will be back to it next Saturday where we'll finish stripping out the engine bay and get the body ready for the panel shop. Will send the gearbox off to Vic Diffs and hopefully get the engine off to the engine builder during the week, if not on Saturday.

Now for some pics.

Engine bay before and after:

Motor out and on the floor:

Hurst shifter. Much nicer than the standard top loader shifter:

Another look at the home made steering box heat shield:

Retail therapy for blokes!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote