Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2024, 08:24 AM   #31
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: When do you service your vehicle - by distance or by time?

2016 Ranger, every 10,000
2015 Mazda 3, every 10,000
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia (club reg) every 12 months
1987 XF Fairmont (club reg) every 12 months
1966 XP Falcon Hardtop (club reg) every 12 months
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2024, 11:52 AM   #32
prydey
Rob

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Ford say 12months or 15000km whichever comes first. So it's not like you have to commit to time or distance.

Ford also say that less than 7500km/yr qualifies as 'extreme conditions' and recommended 6 monthly service intervals.

I've always tried to service my cars as per ford recommendations but I must admit I have often forgotten when I last did the service due to only writing it in the book and not making a note on a calendar anywhere. I never went much beyond 12 months but a couple of times, by the time I checked the book to see when I last did the oil, I noticed I'd done closer to 20k instead of 15k. This was only in the territory.

I also believe in using good oil and sticking with the same oil. I've used shell helix ultra professional for close to 30yrs.

I don't subscribe to over servicing. My experience has taught me there is no 'risk' with the factory intervals. I've done over 100k km in every car I've owned and using fuel economy as a guide to engine health it has always improved from when I bought it and stayed consistent until sold. Proof is in the pudding for me.
Old 13-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

I don't subscribe to over servicing. My experience has taught me there is no 'risk' with the factory intervals. I've done over 100k km in every car I've owned and using fuel economy as a guide to engine health it has always improved from when I bought it and stayed consistent until sold. Proof is in the pudding for me.
Knock knock,

Who's there?

HF V6/Alloytec/LFX Commodore timing chains

It was an issue with the factory spec oil, the crank case ventilation design and their specified service intervals.

But if you've had no issues, good but I wouldn't apply your experience across the entire industry, likewise me and my opinions on how shit I think Thailand Specials are, they obviously fit the needs of their customers.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2024, 12:30 PM   #34
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why does it have to be one or the other?

Ford say 12months or 15000km whichever comes first. So it's not like you have to commit to time or distance.

Ford also say that less than 7500km/yr qualifies as 'extreme conditions' and recommended 6 monthly service intervals.

I've always tried to service my cars as per ford recommendations but I must admit I have often forgotten when I last did the service due to only writing it in the book and not making a note on a calendar anywhere. I never went much beyond 12 months but a couple of times, by the time I checked the book to see when I last did the oil, I noticed I'd done closer to 20k instead of 15k. This was only in the territory.

I also believe in using good oil and sticking with the same oil. I've used shell helix ultra professional for close to 30yrs.

agreed that some are OTT preydey.
I keep an eye on the klm's far more that the time spam depending the k's done.
The FGX Sprint since new serviced by the recommended Ford intervals - garage queen no more than 30thou k's seriously whats going to happen.
The T3 same, hardly does any k's last 4 odd years, in fact its last drive was for a service and been parked since.
I got to get it out for a run but won't bother changing its oil etc.....

Only known issues as Franco explains granted you react.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2024, 12:34 PM   #35
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Knock knock,

Who's there?

HF V6/Alloytec/LFX Commodore timing chains

It was an issue with the factory spec oil, the crank case ventilation design and their specified service intervals.

But if you've had no issues, good but I wouldn't apply your experience across the entire industry, likewise me and my opinions on how shit I think Thailand Specials are, they obviously fit the needs of their customers.
I remember reading the same applies with BMW diesel timing chains from around 2008 onwards.
They had a 30k service interval. Dropping that down to 10,000km makes them last longer, apparently.
Of course, a stretched out service interval appeals to first time buyers who flick the car at the end of the warranty period as there is less cost and inconvenience over the duration of ownership.
It also gives that make/model an edge over the alternatives when it comes time to buy as initial operating costs appear lower despite it being false economy in the long run.

My old diesel LC100 had 500k on it when I sold last year, the engine oil was still gold.
Previous owner changed it every 5k. I continued to do so because I got oil free.
That be an overkill but it was quite satisfying seeing oil in a diesel at that mileage is cleaner than most petrol engines.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2024, 01:05 PM   #36
prydey
Rob

Using oil colour as some kind of guage is not very accurate. Oils are designed to lift and trap carbon deposits etc to keep the internals clean.

A clean oil doesn't necessarily mean a clean engine. All engines produce carbon build up.

Not saying the above story isn't true but I've yet to see a diesel engine that doesn't discolour the oil pretty quick, even when new.
Old 13-05-2024, 01:14 PM   #37
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Using oil colour as some kind of guage is not very accurate. Oils are designed to lift and trap carbon deposits etc to keep the internals clean.

A clean oil doesn't necessarily mean a clean engine. All engines produce carbon build up.

Not saying the above story isn't true but I've yet to see a diesel engine that doesn't discolour the oil pretty quick, even when new.
Well I never got a pic of the dipstick for proof.

I haven’t had too much to do with petrol engines, but have pulled apart a handful that have had oil changes skipped throughout their lives. The carbon and wax like build up in the head and crankcase etc versus a clean engine is very noticeable.
I’m guessing this wouldn’t have been the case inside my old Land Cruisers engine due to frequent oil changes.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2024, 02:34 PM   #38
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Distance comes up first the car is serviced otherwise I wait for the 12 Months.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: