Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tow car/ute opinions

Hi everyone

In the new year i'm going to be needing a ute that can tow a car trailer carrying a 1.4ton car. I'd like to get peoples opinions on what would suit my needs best. I currently have a XhII xr6 manual which is rated to tow 1.2tons. I was nearly sold on a P250 ute a earlier on in the year but was turned off by the fact your not really ment to tow with it.

I'd like to stick with a falcon ute been looking at a few options i'd like to get everyones opinion on what they think is best ??
My options are
Bf Xr8
Bf tornado
Bf or Fg NA Xr6
OR
Maybe and Au 2 or 3 xr8 but i'm a little turned off by a 4spd Auto.
I'm open to suggestions. The car will also be my daily (I do about 400k's a week)
My other question is some sites say the BF 6 speed manuals are good to tow up to 2.3ton others say they are only good for 1.6ton which is true ??
Thanks for all the advice
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Tow car/ute opinions

Most manuals are rated to 1.2/1200Kg's ton because of the clutch where Autos with Heavy duty tow bar will be 2.3 ton/2300Kg's.
Most people will argue that the manual will do great pulling extra weight, I won't argue that but look out the legality side of the law & do your home work carefully.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I use a FG2 EcoLPi to tow my XR8 and trailer (2300kg all up). Pretty much every 6 cylinder will tow 2300kg. Just get a trans cooler and a Hayman Reece tow bar will give you the 2300 kgs for a good price (From Ford, they are very expensive as they have load levelling as part of the kit).

Not sure on the BF XR8 though. Should be the same. Its only the FPV's that had reduced towing rating to 1600 for their Auto.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
ingles
Starter Motor

AU wagoon on gas,big trans cooler,H-R towbar.Its like a ute, but with a lockable canopy!
ingles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd consider a good condition BF Fairmont Ghia or Fairlane with the 5.4 3v. Will pull better than any of the above options and most likely use less gas doing so. Under rated engines that come into their own with some weight behind them.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a BF II RTV auto on dedicated gas that comfortably pulls 2300KG, very stable although possibly a little underpowered if you a in a hurry. The petrol one would do better with a few extra KW.

Regards,
Tote
Old 31-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Ranger diesel would be far more suitable than Falcon ute. Mate was towing his very light race car with bf ute and said it was scary tail happy compared to his cruiser wagon. Wouldn't use it again.

I suggest a Ranger style vehicle after a mate went from F250s to a Ranger to tow his Mustang in an enclosed trailer. Gets 10.3 litres per hundred towing.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
A Ranger diesel would be far more suitable than Falcon ute. Mate was towing his very light race car with bf ute and said it was scary tail happy compared to his cruiser wagon. Wouldn't use it again.

I suggest a Ranger style vehicle after a mate went from F250s to a Ranger to tow his Mustang in an enclosed trailer. Gets 10.3 litres per hundred towing.
yeah but that can also be attributed to lots of things , including how the its loaded.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
yeah but that can also be attributed to lots of things , including how the its loaded.
Exactly. I can sit at 100 kms/hr comfortably towing 2300 kg in the falcon. Sounds to me that the guy didn't have enough weight towards the front of the trailer.
Old 31-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Exactly. I can sit at 100 kms/hr comfortably towing 2300 kg in the falcon. Sounds to me that the guy didn't have enough weight towards the front of the trailer.
Depends on how much weight is in the *** end of the ute when towing a heavy trailer, can be dangerous if tub is empty even if your trailer weight is correct, this happened to me once when towing a caravan.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #11
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Depends on how much weight is in the *** end of the ute when towing a heavy trailer, can be dangerous if tub is empty even if your trailer weight is correct, this happened to me once when towing a caravan.
Not to sure about this in any ba bf fg ute?
It comes down to correct weight on the tow ball and trailer loading.
If the ute is overall slightly heavier than the sedan equivalent, and the front, engine bay, and drivers row of seats are identical... tell me how the back can be lighter than a sedan?
I know they are sightly longer wheel base, but I think you find the F/R weight distribution will be very similar.
That whole light in the back thing was perhaps more true in the xy days..

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
OLDBLOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIONIC MAN View Post
Not to sure about this in any ba bf fg ute?
It comes down to correct weight on the tow ball and trailer loading.
If the ute is overall slightly heavier than the sedan equivalent, and the front, engine bay, and drivers row of seats are identical... tell me how the back can be lighter than a sedan?
I know they are sightly longer wheel base, but I think you find the F/R weight distribution will be very similar.
That whole light in the back thing was perhaps more true in the xy days..
The thing is the car towing the load must be heavier than the load it's pulling, if you look at truck weights the prime mover must have more weight on it than the trailer other wise the trailer will steer the truck
OLDBLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #13
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how often will you be towing ??? if its only now and again,,just hire a toe car when needed
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave View Post
how often will you be towing ??? if its only now and again,,just hire a toe car when needed
Next year I will only need to tow the car maybe 3 or 4 times. The following year it will be a more like 6-10 times.

I wouldn't really consider a ranger or any other ute other than maybe a commodore. I work for mazda and drive new and old BT-50s (pretty much an ugly ranger) every day while they have loads of torque and I think they'd make a great tow car I still want a car that's fun to drive when unloaded and handles well. I'm not taking anything away from the ranger I think they're great ute just not really my thing.

It seems like a lot of people are having good results towing with and egas falcon this might seem like a more economical as it will also be my daily. I would miss out on v8 fun but
Old 31-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Ah right. Guess it might be a little different with a Ute vs Falcon sedan.
Old 31-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Prezident
Starter Motor

A quick question, not sure if this is in the right place to ask. But how do you know if your car was fitted with the heavy duty towing pack? Is there a placard of some sort? Something to look out for? Cheers sorry not trying to hijack.
Prezident is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezident View Post
A quick question, not sure if this is in the right place to ask. But how do you know if your car was fitted with the heavy duty towing pack? Is there a placard of some sort? Something to look out for? Cheers sorry not trying to hijack.
As mention it will be stamped somewhere on the tow bar or you can tell by the different goose neck used on tow bars, bolt on type usually are 1200kgs or 1600Kgs & the box tube type is held in by pin 23000Kg's

Last edited by Itsme; 04-03-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 31-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Prezident
Starter Motor

Well you have answered that! It definitely isn't shs piece! Bummer! Thanks for that tho
Old 31-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way that I tell is usually look at the compliance plate on the towbar. It will have a weight rating stamped on it. My Xh xr6 has the heavy duty tow bar but is limited by the manual transmission.
Old 31-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Prezident
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
The way that I tell is usually look at the compliance plate on the towbar. It will have a weight rating stamped on it. My Xh xr6 has the heavy duty tow bar but is limited by the manual transmission.
I will have to have a good look then, from memory mine ran through the rear bumper, thanks!!
Old 31-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezident View Post
You will also need to have a compliance sticker usually on the drivers side door jam area (b pillar).
Old 31-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use an XG Manual once in a while to tow a Falcon. XG is technically not rated to 2300 like the later ones but does it fine.

Your XH will do it all day long easily, they are ideal for it. Just load it correctly and you are laughing.

If you can go to a larger commercial type vehicle like a ranger or 4wd wagon that would be better but the XH will do it fine.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
Prezident
Starter Motor

Yeah found my sticker, its blue and does state the rated tow capacity of 1600kg. Thanks for the input and again sorry for asking if its the wrong place!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO247 View Post
I use an XG Manual once in a while to tow a Falcon. XG is technically not rated to 2300 like the later ones but does it fine.
Your XH will do it all day long easily, they are ideal for it. Just load it correctly and you are laughing.
Yep, what he said

Old 31-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
max_torq
From the Futura

Would a territory do a better job, that's getting heavy for a falcon?
Old 31-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a turbo territory, I know you want a ute but theses do an excellent job, I have a ba xr8 witch tows ok, with a 67 xr on trailer but my wife's territory does it much better, just need a lil more power which I why I suggest a turbo, yes it may be a lil thirsty but they are the in my option the greatest all round car,

And a TT ghia are quite cheap now a days for an 06,07 model can be had quite cheap with reasonable Klms too

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

I use to tow my jayco 18' caravan 1.8 ton quite well with FG XR6 Auto ute N/A with no problems, the I6 engine is a strong donk & did the job quite well with reasonable economy & I usually sat on the posted road speeds.
For towing give me an auto any day as manuals are PIA.
Only reason I got rid of the ute it was useless for my off road purposes otherwise I would still have it.
Old 31-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #28
JustBlown

Quote:
I use to tow my jayco 18' caravan 1.8 ton quite well with FG XR6 Auto ute N/A with no problems, the I6 engine is a strong donk & did the job quite well with reasonable economy & I usually sat on the posted road speeds.
For towing give me an auto any day as manuals are PIA.
Only reason I got rid of the ute it was useless for my off road purposes otherwise I would still have it.
Heh trublu, would you be kind enough to comment on my thread -Air bags in the rear- FG XR6 Ute under Fg to FGX Falcon sub forum as you have towed with an XR6 Ute-would be appreciated !
JustBlown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #29
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

Well that's a good point, and I think it use to be the case, but now, it always concerns me when we have all these "plastic" utes, all trying to out do each other, all rated to tow maximum 3.5 ton towing capacity... Yeh that's all well and good in a straight line.. But try and avoid an object on the road, or an accident.. And the weight of the trailer will just take over and flip the tow car, run it off the road etc.
Not to mention that at that kind of maximum weight, the trailer would have to be very carefully loaded and properly secured... Which often they are not.

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #30
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

The way a car will tow a load is VERY dependant on how the load is loaded. It is also dependant on what the tow car is, alot to do with the weight of the tow car. My BA Xr8 ute has towed loaded car trailers many of times and i'm just about to load it up again with a mates V8 wb holden to bring it up from gippsland. Taking the extra time to ensure that the ute is sitting at the perfect point on the trailer to load the tow bar with the ideal weight and having the car straight on the trailer will make a big difference to how straight it will sit on the highway. making sure it's sitting right on the trailer will make the difference from it pushing you around to towing well.
Whatever car you decide with on your list will be good. If you want a fun car to drive and occasionally tow a load, you couldn't go far wrong with what you mentioned. The only thing I was thinking was that I was under the impression the turbo's are not rated to tow well as the extra CONSTANT load on the turbo and engine might run things too hot, as in producing hight boost for too long, Someone who knows alot about the turbo motors might want to clear that up.
Cheers

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: