Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Total number of klm's before a demo vehicle is considered used ?.

What is the total number of klm's on a vehicle being sold by a dealer as new/demo allowed to be before it is considered a used vehicle ?

The reason I ask is I have been following a certain vehicle at a dealer and when I 1'st approached them about it it had 6,000klm's on it and was used as a demo, then I was told by a salesman at a future date that it had been sold, fair enough, but then today I was at the dealer again and seen the same vehicle was on the lot being sold as a demo vehicle but now with 15,000klm's on it.

The wife of the dealer principle had been using it as a daily, but then switched to a new GT, so now they are onselling it again as a near new/demo but with 15,000klm's on it.

I told the salesman that I believe with that many klm's on it now that I regard it as a "used" vehicle now and not a demo, he then proceded to tell me that a vehicle can have up to 22,000klm's on it before it is considered a "used" vehicle ?.

I was a little bemused at this and unsure as he was the same salesman that told me it was sold the previous time around, and when I spoke to the dealer princible today and told him that he was not happy as it was never sold, it was just used by his wife.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Total number of klm's before a demo vehicle is considered used ?.

A vehicle is "demo" if it is registered for use as a demonstration vehicle and remains so until it is sold outside the dealership.

New is never registered or sold outside the dealership so a "new"car can have several hundred possibly a thousand km on it if it has been moved between yards a lot. (For the city people, often dealerships in the country have yards in different town sometimes 100++ km apart)

Warranty starts at first rego or sale outside the dealership.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
JoshXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Warranty starts at first rego or sale outside the dealership.
Is this normal ?

I brought my 09 FG with 10k on the clock as a demo so does this mean my warranty runs out @ 110k / 3 years and 6 months ?
JoshXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshXR
Is this normal ?

I brought my 09 FG with 10k on the clock as a demo so does this mean my warranty runs out @ 110k / 3 years and 6 months ?
I thought the warranty starts the day it is registered.
Old 15-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshXR
Is this normal ?

If you car was registered as a demo on 01/05/09 and you bought it on 12/1/10 with 10,000km your warranty will run out at midnight on 30/4/12 or when the odometer reads 100,000km, whichever is sooner.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the Ford dealer in Rocky before buying the G6E we test drove a blue XR6 which I rather liked, until I noticed it had over 3000km on the clock.
The kilometers weren't really what worried me...it was how it had been treated for those 3000km by various drivers. Technically itmight be "new" but morally it's pretty well "used"...

Our G6E was straight off the lot with 10km on it...that's more like it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
RAPID_BA
Banned

Regardless of the rules. If the car has more than 5000km id not consider it new/demo. Id give it no more value than a used car. The consumer makes his own rules about what he considers new/used/demo
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

What flappy said.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
nstg8a

regardless of whether the 'definition' of a demo is in the dealers favour or not, i would certainly consider something with 15'km on it, and has been used as a daily as second hand.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
What is the total number of klm's on a vehicle being sold by a dealer as new/demo allowed to be before it is considered a used vehicle ?

The reason I ask is I have been following a certain vehicle at a dealer and when I 1'st approached them about it it had 6,000klm's on it and was used as a demo, then I was told by a salesman at a future date that it had been sold, fair enough, but then today I was at the dealer again and seen the same vehicle was on the lot being sold as a demo vehicle but now with 15,000klm's on it.

The wife of the dealer principle had been using it as a daily, but then switched to a new GT, so now they are onselling it again as a near new/demo but with 15,000klm's on it.

I told the salesman that I believe with that many klm's on it now that I regard it as a "used" vehicle now and not a demo, he then proceded to tell me that a vehicle can have up to 22,000klm's on it before it is considered a "used" vehicle ?.

I was a little bemused at this and unsure as he was the same salesman that told me it was sold the previous time around, and when I spoke to the dealer princible today and told him that he was not happy as it was never sold, it was just used by his wife.

I'm with you on this galaxy xr8. My sister is the wife of a dealer pricipal at a major dealership. She has a car to drive but its gone within 3 months or 5000km. Every time I see her she has a brand new car.

If we took back a car to a dealer with 20000km they would call it used.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I'm with you on this galaxy xr8. My sister is the wife of a dealer pricipal at a major dealership. She has a car to drive but its gone within 3 months or 5000km. Every time I see her she has a brand new car.

If we took back a car to a dealer with 20000km they would call it used.
Sorry, but according to the rules, what flappist has said are the rules, so until if the car is registered at the dealership and not sold, it is considered a demo, regardless of kms. Once sold, and then returned to the dealers as a trade, it is then used.

What's with the "We" - you only see your sister every 3 months.......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
05_ENFORCER

If the vehicle has been on the lot for that long (15000ks) you could argue that it is secondhand.

Me personally, I would expect no more that 2000-3000 ks as a demo but with that many ks on it you could negotiate a good deal.

Old 14-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

To me whether its deemed a demo or second hand doesnt really matter, you can see how far its travelled when you buy it, whether its 50km or 15,000km.

Not knowing how the car is treated as a demo, I wouldnt be all that interested in purchasing one, unless its done say less than 100km which is virtually just registered.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the only rule exists if a car is over 150k's that it must be sold as a demo not brand new.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The vehicle is registred, I am unsure if it is registred as a Demo or not though by the dealer.
Old 14-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Once it's registered to the dealership, that's it, the vehicle becomes a used vehicle.

A new vehicle is one that has not been registered by anyone prior to the intended buyer.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
The vehicle is registred, I am unsure if it is registred as a Demo or not though by the dealer.
I can check Monday, I was told something along these lines... in Victoria if the dealer registered demo goes past 6000 klm's they will then have to re-pay any stamp duties, can be slugged twice..

Dealers also register cars at times to meet Ford HQ incentives, these are demo's with very little or almost no mileage on the clock.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Here is the vehicle in question, it is registred and has plates, this is the rego sticker.

http://www.carsales.com.au/Gallery.a...5&TabId=304736
Old 15-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Here is the vehicle in question, it is registred and has plates, this is the rego sticker.

http://www.carsales.com.au/Gallery.a...5&TabId=304736

Is this the one with 15000Ks on the clock?????

Old 15-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
Is this the one with 15000Ks on the clock?????

Yes that is the one, those pic's were taken mid last yr just after the release of the Terri, with 6,000 odd klm's on it, actually when it was advertised back then with 6,000klm's I went to check it out and it actually had 8,500klm's on it, then the following week I was told it was sold.

Only to see it still advertised on carsales, to which I never thought anything of it, I jjust thought it was a way of drumming up bussiness for them, then I went out there today to see it still there with 15,000klm's on it as my op.
Old 15-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It also has a very big deep cut in the drivers seat of the leather, and a few big stone chip's in the front bumber , to which I pointed out to the salesman and he said it will be fixed, but they have tried to touch up the big stone chip in the front but not very well, he even said to me that he knew nothing of it, (the dealer princible) as his wife had been driving it to clock up the 15thou klm's, but someone had touched it up, lol.
Old 15-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #22
05_ENFORCER

Well, ditch the dealer and shop around.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...Price&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 4294966463 4294966190 4294699152&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1|Mileag e:Min,Max|Year:Min,Max|Seats:Min,Max|EngineSize:Mi n,Max

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...api=2&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 4294966463 4294966190 4294699152 903&distance=25&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1|M ileage:Min,Max|Year:Min,Max|Seats:Min,Max|EngineSi ze:Min,Max&sort=~Price

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...api=2&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 4294966463 4294966190 4294699152 903&distance=25&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1|M ileage:Min,Max|Year:Min,Max|Seats:Min,Max|EngineSi ze:Min,Max&sort=~Price

And thats just in Vic

Dealers are not stupid, I have been "negotiating" with the W.A Ford dealers over the last 2 months.

There are bargains to be had if you do the ground work, and it's not pretty some times.

Old 15-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah I know I am doing my homework I have been doing it for the last 9 odd months....
I know there are a few Territory Titanuim's AWD with drive away prices lower then the one I have been looking at, and I mentioned this to the dealer princible today, he wouldn't believe that they would be new vehicles with dealer klm's only so I said to him yes they are, there is quite a few on carsales in Vic alone, with a drive away price of around 57k-58k, and then there are a few with 2,000-5,000klm's with a drive away price of roughly 55-56k.

He then proceded to tell me that they are more then likely hail damaged vehicles from the storm the other week, and they probably got insurance claim's and got them cleaned up and are now selling them of cheaper ??.

I am very unsure of this as I am not sure if they are legally susposed to anounce the hail damage, anyway he was just trying to excuse the lower prices I had found and the fact that his has 15,000klm's and a few little issues at a price similar to a new or very low klm demo.
Old 15-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #24
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Yeah I know I am doing my homework I have been doing it for the last 9 odd months....
I know there are a few Territory Titanuim's AWD with drive away prices lower then the one I have been looking at, and I mentioned this to the dealer princible today, he wouldn't believe that they would be new vehicles with dealer klm's only so I said to him yes they are, there is quite a few on carsales in Vic alone, with a drive away price of around 57k-58k, and then there are a few with 2,000-5,000klm's with a drive away price of roughly 55-56k.

He then proceded to tell me that they are more then likely hail damaged vehicles from the storm the other week, and they probably got insurance claim's and got them cleaned up and are now selling them of cheaper ??.

I am very unsure of this as I am not sure if they are legally susposed to anounce the hail damage, anyway he was just trying to excuse the lower prices I had found and the fact that his has 15,000klm's and a few little issues at a price similar to a new or very low klm demo.

I am going to say this one more time.

Extinguish the dealer you are negotiating with, they are obviously behind the times.

Find another "dealer" that will negotiate to your needs.

With a little hard work you will succeeed negotiating the deal you are after

I negotiated a great deal on a brand new 2012 vehicle cheaper than a run out or demo in my state, and I am just a normal bumhead tradey

Old 15-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #25
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

That dealer has fallen away horribly since it changed hands,one description I got recently was : "it looks like one of those places that's a few weeks away from closing it's doors".

If you must buy a car in bendigo,take in proof of what you can get.When I brought my d40 the local dealer wouldn't even drop 1k off retail,I priced it up at a few other dealers and still got it locally for 5k below retail.

Not a chance in hell I'd buy a car out there though,dodgiest dealer out.
Old 15-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the old saying............ if in doubt.......don`t.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #27
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The high klm's and being sold as a demo have me shaking my head, they might be well within their right's to do so by law but I don't consider a vehicle with 15,000klm's on it and being used as the wife/family of the dealer princible for the last 6-9 month's as personal use and now selling on the lot as a Demo as the right practise, to me that vehicle is now "used" and should be sold and priced accordingly.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The high klm's and being sold as a demo have me shaking my head, they might be well within their right's to do so by law but I don't consider a vehicle with 15,000klm's on it and being used as the wife/family of the dealer princible for the last 6-9 month's as personal use and now selling on the lot as a Demo as the right practise, to me that vehicle is now "used" and should be sold and priced accordingly.
Absolutely. Stick to that, because there's no way I'd buy a "demo" car with 15,000kms on it either. Unless the price reflected a used car with similar KMs on it, then some extra discount for you being stuffed around, I wouldn't even entertain going back there.

I bought a 2011 Mitsubishi ASX Aspire diesel for my missus at the end of last year. The local dealer wanted $42k on road for a new one and wouldn't budge. Then I asked about the demo we had test driven. It had 2,900KMs on it. We ended up getting it drive away for $35k. I considered 3,000KMs acceptable for a demo car, but I wouldn't have considered it if it had more than that. Even now when I look on carsales, Aspire diesel ASX's with 10,000KMs on them (which is what ours has now) are still going for $35k, so we've won in that department.

IMO, if you're buying a demo, it should have about 3,000KMs on it at most. That's usually enough time for any problems to stick their head out if they're going to, and a small amount of time for engine run in time etc. Only problems we've had with ours in the 10,000kms have been a loose bolt on the drivers seat and a noisy control arm bush on the front drivers side. Both sorted out at first service.

Shop around some more mate. That dealer sounds dodgy as hell.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think many would consider it to still be a demo.

It's a used car end of story.

It ceased being a demonstrator when it started to be used as the family wagon.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #30
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

simple......tell him he's an idiot and the vehicle is "used" then go buy somewhere else!

demo does not include his wife as a "daily drive"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post