Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Default Gen 3 piston slap

Not entirely sure it belongs here, but I figure someone will know. Plus I can't join LS1.com with hotmail (yeah I know...).

Anyway, don't turn this into a slag fest please, that's not the point.

My mum is looking at getting rid of her VT Calais (series 1 V6, stock as). She's found a VT2 Clubbie she's keen on. : 6 speed, all that stuff. I'm want to get her into an EL2 XR8 or an AU 2/3 XR8, that's another story though. I'm trying to steer her away from the Commodore as a whole, but in the end it's her choice I spose. I just don't want her to land someone else's dud engine and have problem after problem.

What are the facts on the Gen 3 issues? Obviously it's an early engine, that's why I'm worried. It's only done 93,000, so who knows what's in store. I know what piston slap sounds like and I'll be driving it tomorrow, is there anything else to look for? Would oil consumption tests be listed in the owners manual? It's meant to have a full service history at the dealer who's selling it, can I get them to drag out old ROs or is there some legality on that?

Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
EL_futuraistic

All GEN3 vehicles that had engine problems had to undergo oil consumption tests. If it has had any oil consumption tests it will be on register with the dealer. Most dealers have big log books of faulty vehicles.

I dont think oil consumption tests were kept in the owners manual, however as i said would be logged with GMH or the dealer.

Most of the problems with the Gen3 were VT2, VX and a selected few VY. Im not sure if there was a "all out" recall for piston ring replacement just affected vehicles.

Im not sure how to check, but it would be worth seeing if the motor has been replaced or anything else for that matter such as the diff or gearbox.

OIL LEAKS
Rear Main Seal (standard for Falcons and Commo's)
Power Steering Pump (very common)
Water Pump (worth a look)

Other than that just general things like LSD operation, Diff Knock, Creakey Doors, Power windows working correctly, Bumpers not aligned correctly (possibly been in accident), Ensure Badges are in the correct place (possibly been in accident)

As long as it hasnt been thrashed, and has been serviced regularly Gen3's can be a very quick, reliable vehicle.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
All GEN3 vehicles that had engine problems had to undergo oil consumption tests.

Bzzzz....Wrong.

Some did and some didnt, if it did have a problem most likely it would of been fixed.
Get someone that knows about Gen 3's to check it out for you, if it needs to be done and if you get the car for the right price, it may be worth getting it fixed.

They are an awesome motor, their times speak for themselves and the LS2 is better again.

Who said push rod technology was out of date ?

Just putting my flame suit on now. lol
Old 22-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
EL_futuraistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Bzzzz....Wrong.

Some did and some didnt, if it did have a problem most likely it would of been fixed.
Get someone that knows about Gen 3's to check it out for you, if it needs to be done and if you get the car for the right price, it may be worth getting it fixed.

They are an awesome motor, their times speak for themselves and the LS2 is better again.

Who said push rod technology was out of date ?

Just putting my flame suit on now. lol

actually I said "all gen3 vehicles THAT had problems i did not say all of them had problems, and they did not just get fixed automatically.... they had to undergo a series of oil consumption tests.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

The earliest engines were crated here, and offered little to no dramas. Holden wanted more power, around the VTII and gained this by lightening the reciprocating mass. This was achieved by shortening the piston skirt, which led to cylinder wear when engine was cool, due to the pistons "laying over", so to speak. Nice power increase, unfortunate by-product!
I drove a 6 Speed VX Clubby, and thought the clutch carried a very odd feel, unlike any manual I had ever sampled.
Beaut ride but, I loved it! Not BLUE enough for me however, so Henry it will be!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

How early is early? Any dates?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
MaDDoG
Starter Motor

My VX Clubby had piston slap when started cold and using Mobil 1. Once it was warmed up no probs. Noise only lasted 10 or 15 secs. Had oil consumption tests etc done but it did not use any oil. Apparently 2.5 lts per 10,000 k's is acceptable but as I said mine did not use any. Simple remedy for me was to change oil. I went for Magnatec and the noise all but dissappeared. Just make sure when you drive it YOU start it from cold. If the dealer were to start it and bring it around the yard to you you might not hear anything. Having said that I was more than happy with my LS1. Went like the stuff that will not stick to a teflon shovel. Fuel consumtion was good....9.5 lts per 100 on the highway and went off the clock in top speed....260+. Never bothered to dyno it and did not have LS1 edit either. Simple exhaust and cold air intake maf pipe and that was about all...255 kw to what was probably about 285 -290. A nice car that turned heads and with 2.5" zaust sounded grouse.
Where I worked we had a couple of VX and VY SS things. They did go better than the XR's we had but a couple did have some niggling dramas with oil and diffs and electric seats. But they were fixed under warranty of course.

So I guess the answer is....no matter what you buy you may get an good one and you may not.........hope that helps. _2:
MaDDoG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

the whole piston slap thing affected like 2.7% of gen 3's, its just one of those things that have been built up to a monster problem when whilst it does occur, i dont think its as much as people believe....in any case
a MUST is to start that engine cold...a lot of the 'piston slappers' have the noise when cold but when warm, the noise is less apparent in a lot of vehicles...piston slappin was more apparent also with the earlier models...however, i noticed the car your looking at has 90+ kms...piston slap as a problem would have well and truly occured by now...i have a vx ss and its a series one and the motor has done 105k. I replaced the power steering pump the other day (bought it from a ford dealer with 3 yr premium warranty so its all covered) so, as EL futuristic suggested, check ALL kinds of pumps etc...but most importantly, get it checked out in its cold state if possible...any unusual sounds, then run :evil_laug
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
the whole piston slap thing affected like 2.7% of gen 3's, its just one of those things that have been built up to a monster problem when whilst it does occur, i dont think its as much as people believe....in any case
a MUST is to start that engine cold...a lot of the 'piston slappers' have the noise when cold but when warm, the noise is less apparent in a lot of vehicles...piston slappin was more apparent also with the earlier models...however, i noticed the car your looking at has 90+ kms...piston slap as a problem would have well and truly occured by now...i have a vx ss and its a series one and the motor has done 105k. I replaced the power steering pump the other day (bought it from a ford dealer with 3 yr premium warranty so its all covered) so, as EL futuristic suggested, check ALL kinds of pumps etc...but most importantly, get it checked out in its cold state if possible...any unusual sounds, then run :evil_laug
Now now, biased asside, I think there was more than 2.7% affected, don't be naive.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Paddyboy

just make sure it has full service history and make sure u check the service book to see what had been repaired.
Old 23-10-2005, 02:17 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

How bad was the piston slap problem read for your self? http://www.pistonslap.com/ this website is no joke, serious stuff it includes LS1 5.7L
We do have a member here who owns a GT-P and VX LS1 it’s only had 3 re-builds under warranty...it came up in a conversation today because his wife is upset now the window won’t go up...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
How bad was the piston slap problem read for your self? http://www.pistonslap.com/ this website is no joke, serious stuff it includes LS1 5.7L
We do have a member here who owns a GT-P and VX LS1 it’s only had 3 re-builds under warranty...it came up in a conversation today because his wife is upset now the window won’t go up...
The slap issue was massive, far greater problem than anyone from Holden will ever want you to know, and cost them a fortune.
A mate worked at a dealer as a mechanic and they had a night shift at one stage to deal with change over motor issues, in allot of cases motors were swapped under warrantee without the vehicle owner knowing, they were told the problems fixed, end of comment....

Old 23-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The slap issue was massive, far greater problem than anyone from Holden will ever want you to know, and cost them a fortune.
A mate worked at a dealer as a mechanic and they had a night shift at one stage to deal with change over motor issues, in allot of cases motors were swapped under warrantee without the vehicle owner knowing, they were told the problems fixed, end of comment....
True, I've got a mate who works as an auto sparky in one of Holdens dealerships; says that when the gen 3 came out they actually built an engine room next to the workshop. Before that they used to swap motors. Once told me of a WH statesman that had 3 motors put into it, it had only done 22,000klms. He owned a VT 5 litre and wanted to upgrade, but even as an avid holden fan said that the motors were complete crap and he would never buy one. In the end he bought a V6.

Quote: