Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

Default Au Xr6

Gday all,
I am new to this forum and will hopefully be a proud owner of an AU. I am currently checking out a Manual 99 Au XR6(hp). It has 128k on the clock, nice body kit, dark tint and I think it was a "Maughan Thiem Racing" edition when it was sold new. I am quite keen on this beast and was wondering if you guys could possibly help with a few things:

1. All the XRs I have seen have front power windows standard right? This is advertised on this model, but I have noticed that it also has manual window handles on the front doors? Is this normal??!

2. I am assuming that dealers tarted up a few models with a few decals etc.. when the model was released, or do these vehicles have significant differences to stock models?

3. What major/minor problems does the AU XR range suffer? I am from the Dark Side (Commodore owner) and know very little about Falcons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Morpheus

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Timeshift

Only the series 3 has the electric front windows. Not sure if it's different for the XR range.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeshift
Only the series 3 has the electric front windows. Not sure if it's different for the XR range.
wrong.

All AU XR's had power front windows except for some 1998 model XR6 HP's. Check the compliance plates as only 98 models had winders. If its not a 98.. walk away, something smells.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
wrong.

All AU XR's had power front windows except for some 1998 model XR6 HP's. Check the compliance plates as only 98 models had winders. If its not a 98.. walk away, something smells.
As I said, not sure if its different for the XR range I know on the stock standard AU forte that it's only the series 3 that has power front windows.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I said, not sure if its different for the XR range I know on the stock standard AU forte that it's only the series 3 that has power front windows.
AU2 forte also had front power windows standard.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
AU2 forte also had front power windows standard.

Also late Series 1's were called the 99 updates and had power in the front windows. Don't know when in 99 they started doing it that way. I thought XR's were the same in that respect
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
Pies1

Quote:

I have a 02/01 AU2 S with front electric windows, no manual winders except for the rear doors.
Pies1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AUII and late AUI had front power windows. On the forte theres not much the series 3 got over the series 2. I think standard ABS and colour coded body parts and small side skirts was about it.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
All AU XR's had power front windows except for some 1998 model XR6 HP's.
Correct, my 11/98 XR6HP has Manual Winders.. If they have both I rekon they've had a conversion done..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
stiddy
Banned

Welcome to the forums mate.

Ive got an AU XR6 99' 5spd, love the car to death.

1. Yes front power windows. not sure about the manual winders though, unless its been converted.. usually power windows upfront and manual winders in the rear.
2. Sounds like you just got some decals, i doubt it has anything over a stock XR6.
3. look on the main page of AUfalcon section of this forum, it will have a 'sticky' with all the problems to do with AU Falcons..

Now your into a Ford, especially an AU XR6 5speed you will wonder what the hell you were doing in a Holden hahaha.. good luck with the car.

This place is addictive and you will learn a great deal..

cheers,
Matt
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
1. Yes front power windows. not sure about the manual winders though, unless its been converted.. usually power windows upfront and manual winders in the rear.
2. Sounds like you just got some decals, i doubt it has anything over a stock XR6.
3. look on the main page of AUfalcon section of this forum, it will have a 'sticky' with all the problems to do with AU Falcons..

Now your into a Ford, especially an AU XR6 5speed you will wonder what the hell you were doing in a Holden hahaha.. good luck with the car.

This place is addictive and you will learn a great deal..

As stiddy said ;) .. and oh yeah - welcome to the forums

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #12
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

cheers guys. I will get a better look at the vehicle tomorrow and try and suss out the windows. I can't wait to ditch the Commodore!
Old 17-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

'98 build XR6 HP's had manual winders, the later build '99 AUI XR6 HP's and onwards came with power fronts.

Major problems - I can't think of any, maybe sudden increase in petrol bill. Although for what they are the HP's don't use as much juice in general compared with the VCT and the XR8.

Minor ones - Handbrake (that's always been a Falcon/Commo thing), check the window seal rubbers for wear/tear & cracking. Check that the recalls have been done - ala Feild Campaign stickers in drivers door.

Welcome and post pics once you do get the XR.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 98 xr6 hp and had winders all round,was a great car,full momo body kit,went really well and had no probs,except it was an auto,hence why I no longer have it.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

greenrob's AU1 xr6 has manual winders for the front windows.. its at the mechanics at the moment... apparently it MIGHT be one of the first off the line or a prototype model maybe...
Old 17-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #16
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

alright this is just weird. I have just done a bit of a search on carsales.com and found a few 1999 AU XR6s advertised with power windows (front) but their pictures also show manual winders!? Just seems bloody strange to me.
Old 17-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #17
stiddy
Banned

you sure its not showing pics of the rear doors?

ive never seen a car with power windows and manual winders on the same door lol
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #18
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

nah, front doors! doesn't make sense eh. I have found pics of quite a few of them from dealers, all advertising power windows (front) but pics clearly show winders, just like the car I'm looking at. Makes no sense I agree! The car I'm looking at is from a major Ford dealer too, so I can't work it out.
Old 18-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
nah, front doors! doesn't make sense eh. I have found pics of quite a few of them from dealers, all advertising power windows (front) but pics clearly show winders, just like the car I'm looking at. Makes no sense I agree! The car I'm looking at is from a major Ford dealer too, so I can't work it out.
Often, the list of standard equipment will read the same for the same model XR6 for example, in spite of differences between models VCT or HP and years. It just saves them having to do extra work.

Check the car in the flesh.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #20
antilooped

2. Typically there are dealers that put their own things on there to make the sales - why buy from x ford dealer when y ford dealer is selling the 'racing' model for the same price. Usually just a few decals and maybe one or two small interior differences like an embossed stitching done on the seats after the factory. There are a few others out there like i know there is an xr6 'st' model too.
3. Manual - deffo watch out for the cracking firewall - get under the dash and see where the clutch cable goes thru the firewall and see if there is any cracks in or around it - that is big bucks to get fixed properly. Also check that the clutch pedal is stiff in movement and doesnt feel flimsy. Dont forget to pour a bucket of water over the car to see if it leaks water! god you dont want that problem like i had.

good luck with it
Old 18-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #21
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What they all said above. Chances are those pics u are seeing are just for display purposes. Always go and check out the car first. After all u wouldnt just buy a car coz it looks good in photos :P Good luck on the purchase, the HP is a good car. Never will be as refined as the VCT though *hides*

Oh and yes, the ST was a real modified XR6, 125 of em, and I've got one of em :P
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

have found that some extremely rare early XR6 HPs came with power windows (front) and manual winders (front) also!! This is apparently as they were "upgraded to the new spec with the 'AU Upgrade'". (Sourced from http://www.trueblueford.com/AU1xr_compSpecs.html )

AU upgrade?
What do you guys think? The car is bloody nice in and out, (and cheap too as the dealer is a family friend). Will prob test drive tomorrow hopefully. I'm just really miffed by this manual winders/power windows thing!
Old 18-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #23
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
have found that some extremely rare early XR6 HPs came with power windows (front) and manual winders (front) also!! This is apparently as they were "upgraded to the new spec with the 'AU Upgrade'". (Sourced from http://www.trueblueford.com/AU1xr_compSpecs.html )

AU upgrade?
What do you guys think? The car is bloody nice in and out, (and cheap too as the dealer is a family friend). Will prob test drive tomorrow hopefully. I'm just really miffed by this manual winders/power windows thing!
If its a good thing + the winders are the only prob you can always change the trims to the later ones my 2c.. :eclipsee_

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

AU upgrade happened in about Feb or March 99. It amounted to a lowering of the base model by about 15mm, smartshield replacing smartlock (I think), and the egg crate grille replacing the waterfall grille.

You could remove the manual winder handle and plug the hole that is left with a rubber grommet, or plastic cap. You should also be able to check the VIN with Ford (ring Ford Customer Care in the white pages), and they should be able to tell if the car is a genuine XR, or if it was indeed a Forte, that has had an XR front put on.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #25
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

thanx guys. I'll let you know how i go
Old 18-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #26
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi All, This may help with any AU S1 questions

http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts.../aufalcon.html

Happy reading
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #27
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Confusion galore!

I sometimes have a chuckle with some of the "poorly" mismatched photos on carsales.

Looking forward to your findings Morpheus.
Old 18-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #28
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

yep , so many times a caryard will use 1 pic to sell a few different cars of the same model but with different options , best to see it in the flesh , you know exactelly what your getting then .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #29
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I have a '99 and it doesn't have power windows.

Quote:
3. Manual - deffo watch out for the cracking firewall - get under the dash and see where the clutch cable goes thru the firewall and see if there is any cracks in or around it - that is big bucks to get fixed properly. Also check that the clutch pedal is stiff in movement and doesnt feel flimsy. Dont forget to pour a bucket of water over the car to see if it leaks water! god you dont want that problem like i had.
Definately important to check. After I put in a heavy duty clutch I ended up cracking my firewall (after a big clutch dump). You'll also find that you can get a cracked scuttle(?) panel which is the cause of water leaking into the cabin. These probs are pricey to pick. If it was me, and I was chasing big horsepower with my mods, I prob would in hindsight would have gone an auto. For the everyday person the manual will be right.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The HP had no power windows or cruise control, power windows were added towards the middle of 99 with the AU Update, the Forte also received front power windows, was lowered a tad and had colour coded grill fitted. The key also changed with the introduction of smartshield over smart lock, they went to a bigger fatter key, but it wasnt earlier in 99 as we had a FEB and it didnt have these upgrades.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post