Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #61
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
if we want to talk about things that are a waste of money : my pet peeve is headlight protectors - anybody know how fast a stone needs to be travelling to crack/break your hardened glass headlight? I can tell you its alot higher than 100 kmh and the stone has to be hurled toward your car - remember the coin off a skyscraper on mythbusters - the mass of the coin isn't great enough same with stones, that is unless you hit a wombat, but if you did that I think the headlight is the least of your worries.

As for seat covers my car has leather and it drives me around the bend keeping it clean I have considered seat covers to make cleaning easier.
That really makes no sense... the size and weight of the stone or rock will determine the damage, not just the speed of the impact.
Ive had plenty of cracked spot lights and headlights before at less than 100kph...
As for your interoir why did you pay extra to buy leather when you could have just bought cloth interior?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #62
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
if we want to talk about things that are a waste of money : my pet peeve is headlight protectors - anybody know how fast a stone needs to be travelling to crack/break your hardened glass headlight? I can tell you its alot higher than 100 kmh and the stone has to be hurled toward your car - remember the coin off a skyscraper on mythbusters - the mass of the coin isn't great enough same with stones, that is unless you hit a wombat, but if you did that I think the headlight is the least of your worries.

As for seat covers my car has leather and it drives me around the bend keeping it clean I have considered seat covers to make cleaning easier.
Tell that story to my cracked passenger low beam glass.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #63
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An my passenger side fog light.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #64
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Tell that story to my cracked passenger low beam glass.
Ditto my fog and drivers side. Seat covers-bleh. Unless you purchased a family car to travel with kids in, and for some reason think it needs extra special care inside, then they're useless. Especially those ridiculously large ones with cool sounding brands printed on them.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #65
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Actually bonnet protectors are a waste of money, they just defelct the stones higher up onto you bonnet, your windscreen or roof.

They are a scam.
HAHA...I've got two good sized dints in the leading edge of my bonnet from stones, and if the previous owner hadn't been so cheap and fitted a bonnet protector, they wouldn't be there. Who cares if the stones hit the screen and cracked it...it's easier getting a new screen than having to get your bonnet repaired and resprayed and hope that the colours match :
Obviously, I have a bonnet protector now to lessen the chance of further damage...much to some peoples disgust :

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #66
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What a load of BS!
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #67
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you guys think I am full of it then thats fine I don't care I have done experiments with headlight lenses and rocks and its extremely hard to crack the lenses

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #68
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:

Yes, I've got headlight and foglight protectors too...I'm not taking any chances with stray stones, no matter what size they are. Have you ever seen a B series headlight that's been sandblasted with stones etc. after a few years?... It looks like cr4p! I buy my genuine headlight protectors at swap meets so they only cost me $10 a pair for XR covers...miles cheaper than a new headlight. I also use a throwover cover on my XR seats as I don't want sweat, dirt, plaster etc. all over the place...I've got better things to do with my time than cleaning crud off the seats. :

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #69
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you guys think I am full of it then thats fine I don't care I have done experiments with headlight lenses and rocks and its extremely hard to crack the lenses
That's been pretty much unanimous for some time now....

Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #70
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Ok then, explain how my headlight cracked. Also explain windscreen stonechips/cracks while you are at it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #71
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I seen the funniest thing last week.....

An elderly couple with their Ghia and full leather interior and they had these tatty old sheep skin covers that were literally skin virtually all the wool had worn off kept me entertained let me say lol

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #72
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Ok then, explain how my headlight cracked. Also explain windscreen stonechips/cracks while you are at it.
But Russ.. he's done experiments!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #73
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
So your throwing rocks at cars?

Working with cars, you notice things, headlight/foglight covers are one good little thing to spend money on. The glass in foglights is brittle, and doesn't take much to crack or chip.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #74
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz
HAHA...I've got two good sized dints in the leading edge of my bonnet from stones, and if the previous owner hadn't been so cheap and fitted a bonnet protector, they wouldn't be there.
yep, your right, the dings/chips would be around the middle of the bonnet and above, possibly on the roof...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #75
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a chippy so i just chucked a thin cotton bed sheet over the fairlane material seats in my svo Ute stops stickaflecks, glue, paint ect ect.
but the bed sheet is not abrasive like the back of nearly all sheep wool covers, those things eat vinyl and leather even worse when you get grit sand ect under there

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #76
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That's been pretty much unanimous for some time now....
Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #77
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Windscreens crack due to the fact that they are so large from edge to edge, this weakens the surface and when you pinpoint impact it the force cracks it as it flexes minutely across the surface, and as they are glass/plexi/glass (safety glass) the outer layer of glass cracks.

Headlights are different the lenses as a general rule are much smaller and much much thicker this means there is less distance to flex the surface like in the case of a windscreen.

As for my experiments I got old headlight lense (XE Falcon headlight) and tapped them with an air ram from a nailgun at varying amounts of pressure. I concede there is a distinct possibility that foglights and other types of lights may not be as thick/strong as the one I tested.

Sandblasted headlight lenses are a valid argument for them, sandblasted lenses are not roadworthy here (vic)

4Vman : That was a very cheap shot - do you tear everybody that has a differing opinion to yours? - and I bought leather interior as the car was secondhand and thats what was in it, and having always had cloth I decided why not try it once.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #78
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

I KNOW! My mrs has shitty pink covers over them nice AU XR8 2 seats! Yuk! But at the same time its mine soon so better the kidz mess them up rather than the REAL covers.
TERMINATOR X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #79
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Windscreens crack due to the fact that they are so large from edge to edge, this weakens the surface and when you pinpoint impact it the force cracks it as it flexes minutely across the surface, and as they are glass/plexi/glass (safety glass) the outer layer of glass cracks.

Headlights are different the lenses as a general rule are much smaller and much much thicker this means there is less distance to flex the surface like in the case of a windscreen.

As for my experiments I got old headlight lense (XE Falcon headlight) and tapped them with an air ram from a nailgun at varying amounts of pressure. I concede there is a distinct possibility that foglights and other types of lights may not be as thick/strong as the one I tested.

Sandblasted headlight lenses are a valid argument for them, sandblasted lenses are not roadworthy here (vic)

4Vman : That was a very cheap shot - do you tear everybody that has a differing opinion to yours? - and I bought leather interior as the car was secondhand and thats what was in it, and having always had cloth I decided why not try it once.
Then how do you explain the supposedly unbreakable glass in the headlights of an AU XR being susceptible to breakage?

You have no proof, data or stats to back up your claims and it is common knowledge that headlight breakages due to stones are a common occurrence.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #80
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
We need to get back on topic now.
A wise man once said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seat covers it is for me, since I have young boys and my 3yo likes to make a mess.

Would rather just have to replace my seat covers than have drink & food stains all over my seats.

But its a personal preference thing and each to their own.
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #81
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
yep, your right, the dings/chips would be around the middle of the bonnet and above, possibly on the roof...
Actually, you're right...I DO have a few chips on the roof, and they ALL happened with NO bonnet protector.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #82
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
You can throw rocks at 200+ Kmh.... WOW!!

(ie:you do 100 the rock coming at you is also doing at least 100)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #83
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use a throwover on my drivers seat, so as soon as I'm not using the car for work travel the cover comes off.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #84
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Windscreens are made from standard laminated glass, just to a higher quality as to meet Australian Standards. The ability to resist fractures and breakage is that same as any piece of 3mm thick glass as they are 6.76mm laminate, i.e 3mm, .76interlayer, 3mm. 3mm glass is very weak.

As for headslight lenses, they are toughened, hit them in a weak spot and they will shatter into a million pieces.

I know this as i previously worked for Pilkington/Viridian - the main glass supplier for Holden and Ford
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #85
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
The ability to resist fractures and breakage is that same as any piece of 3mm thick glass as they are 6.76mm laminate, i.e 3mm, .76interlayer, 3mm. 3mm glass is very weak.
But there's always something that tries to test the strength out

(Piece of steel thrown up by another truck going the other way)

Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #86
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

I thought this was about seat covers on new cars. I must be mistaken :
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post