Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
This is technically true but I'm not exactly gonna go around measuring the exact OD of my tyres to the millimeter am I? Aside from the fact that a difference in tyre pressure can also affect your speedo accuracy. There's a reason the ADRs call for a tolerance level and there's a reason why most reasonable people would understand the need for it.

Its patently ridiculous to suggest that I need to constantly ensure my tyres have the right OD and dead on the right pressure every single day of the week.

Of course if the government wishes to pay for us to all buy highly accurate and very expensive speed measuring equipment then by all means. And they can also pay to have it calibrated every month...
it is illegal these days for car manufacturers to have a speedo reading slower than road speed. ADR's give them a tolerance of around 10% under the limit but 0% over. therefore it will only be out if you have altered the car from how it left the factory. this then becomes your problem.

the speedo on newer cars is no longer driven from the gearbox either apparently so wheel diameter no longer affects it.

i realise not everybody is driving around in new cars but i stand by what i said earlier. the onus is on the owner/driver of the car to make sure it is roadworthy/legal. ignorance will not hold up in court.

1kph is a bit steep but fmc351 raises a valid point. if she said they would allow a 10% tolerance, the majority of drivers would drive at 66 instead of 60, 110 instead of 100 etc etc.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post