Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Default More noise!!

Well, getting towards the end of my modification to-do list, and I think I've saved some of the best until last.
Got my exhaust done yesterday. No idea why I waited so long to get it done. It's probably my favourite mod on a list that must be around 20-25 items long by now.
It was installed by a local shop called Performance Exhaust in Ringwood. Cannot recommend these guys highly enough. Dave who works in the shop there knows his stuff, and isn't afraid to tell it how he sees it. The guys that do the work in the workshop look like they've been there for a million years, and their work proves it. I had a call from them about midday yesterday saying that they were having problems with the tips that I wanted, so I dropped in to see what the go was. Turns out the installer had angled the tips so that they suited in better with the shape of the rear bar, and Dave wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not, so before final welding he called me up to make sure I liked the look of the car (which I love!!) so that they could guarantee their work before finalising. The guys were more than happy to have a chat while they were finishing off my car and if you wanted to, I'm sure they'd let you sit in on the work they do.
Anyways, back to the mod!

It's a 2.25" mild steel catback with twin dumped chrome exhaust tips. I couldn't believe the sight of the exhaust that came out of the car when I saw it on the ground. The resonator (pre-muffler) was about 3 feet long, about 4" in diameter, and then the muffler was just a box. Both the resonator and the muffler had purple patches where the system had sustained long periods of time with the exhaust gases trapped inside, lowering power output, but keeping the car quieter. The whole lot was removed and replaced with a straight 2.25" pipe through to an 'I don't know what size - wait for pics' muffler, then the tips attached to that.
The sound is to die for. I absolutely love it. It's nice and throaty at all the right revs, doesn't drone even at 110km/h along the Hume last night. But when you floor the pedal it's enough to make me smile like a pre-pubescent teenager on a first date.
But the best part, in my opinion, is the crackling you get when the revs drop. Blip the throttle then let the revs drop and those little pops and crackles you get are worth the system alone.

In terms of power increase, not a whole lot. Slightly more ballsy at the bottom end, but not a great deal.

Audio clips to follow, but for now, here's a few pics:

Sorry about the essay, but let me know what you guys think : :

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post