Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Bobman
Regulator

Default RACV tows wrong car from Chadstone car park

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225916716879

Quote:
FINDING a shopping centre car space is hard enough but one young driver has found that keeping one can be even more challenging.

Ashleigh Tomas's car was wrongly towed from Chadstone Shopping Centre late last month after the RACV failed to check who owned it.

An elderly man mistakenly identified the vehicle as his, calling the RACV when the keys didn't work.

Ms Tomas, who returned from work to find a different car where she had parked, spent half an hour desperately scouring the carpark, fearing her car had been stolen.

It was only after contacting centre security the 21-year-old found out the car had been towed.

The RACV has apologised and offered an insurance upgrade worth about $100 but Ms Tomas said it wasn't good enough for the time lost and stress endured.

A window seal damaged when the car was broken into still requires repair.

"I thought it was a bit of a slap in the face," Ms Tomas said.

"I do not think it reflected the magnitude of their negligence.

"Most people hold the RACV on a pedestal and they seem to be infallible.

"But something like this just proves otherwise."

A workshop mechanic realised the 81-year-old man had mistaken Ms Tomas's Holden Astra for his recently bought car.

The car was strewn with Ms Tomas's clothing and had a university parking window sticker.

RACV automotive services general manager Guy Hummerston said the car was returned immediately once the error was realised and placed under the care of Chadstone security.

Police were also notified.

"This is the first time a vehicle has been mistakenly towed and RACV regrets that the owner of the vehicle was in any way disadvantaged," Mr Hummerston said.

"However, RACV acted in good faith to assist a member who was adamant the vehicle was his."

Ms Tomas, of Mulgrave, said she spoke out about the bungle in the hope it wouldn't happen again.

"I think it is gross incompetence," she said.

"What company has the right to exercise that power with people's private property?

"They obviously did not feel the need to ask any questions or do any more registration or identity checks."
The girl is a friend of my girlfriend's and I have to say this is a bloody disgrace.

How could the RACV guy not even bother to check the number plate? Car keys don't stop working for no reason and as the complainant was elderly, surely some common sense should have come into play?

What a joke and poor girl! How would you guys react if your Falcon was towed? I'd be fairly peeved.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)