Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
I am a Holden man and feel for you guys - feel for those of you that work in manufacturing at Ford, those of you that work in the component industry, and those of you that are passionate supporters of the local Ford products.

I'm not here to gloat - this all but confirms Holden's demise is not far away, no matter what assurances and commitments have been made, so what is there to gloat about? Anyone that wants to troll using an event that will impact so many Aussie's and their families - well, I don't reckon I need describe how low that is.

While I annoy Ford supporters on a V8 forum, I actually have a lot of respect for you guys. Some of us get to choose our allegiance, some of us can switch allegiance - but some of us are just born into a red or blue family and have no choice. I could have just as easily be born into a blue family, but was born into a Holden family in 71.

Holden supporters of my vintage have had it easy - we have rarely had our loyalty, commitment and passion tested. I have a lot of respect for Ford fans my age, as while there has been some sugar along the way they have also remained loyal through some very dark days that would have tested their resolve - a long period in the 80's with no V8, little or no factory support/commitment to racing programs, and some heartbreaking moments at Bathurst.

This is not ragging on Ford - it is a compliment about the character of you guys to have not just gone "**** it" through those tough years. It is why there are still so many Holden supporters now - we haven't had those periods to cleanse our ranks of the weak.

I hope one of two things happens for you:

1) A natural disaster or two wipes out some overseas Ford plants and makes our local plants required assets - no loss of life, just something like the Thai plant nearly burning to the ground, then when there is not much left to salvage the fire is put out by a long lasting flood; or

2) If local production is to end, I hope you get your GT-HO. If the guy that owns the name won't donate the name back, then just call it the HO GT, or call it the Peregrine Falcon (Peregrine being the fastest falcon - capable of 322km/h).

Either way, you deserve better than this.

2 minutes to GMH hey? Looking at your cars I still wouldn't rule out you living at Gawler.
I agree. I think compared to the Ford blokes we've had it relatively easy. HRT's dominance during the AU era in V8SC. Having much more involvement from Holden in general.

Sure you get your fair weather fans who jump ship when things get tough, but I'd say most Ford fans are strong willed to stick through all the **** most Holden fans probably can't sympathise with.

This announcement has made me realise how vulnerable the industry is and perhaps we take it a bit for granted? I honeslty don't consider myself a "Ford fan" although I do like some models, but one reason I've stuck around here so long is I feel I can to relate to alot of the boys even if I'm not a blue blood as such.

I can see how disheartened everyone is, but nevertheless we're Aussies and we don't let things keep us down after being pushed over. We get up, dust ourselves off and live to fight another day.

Just think of the legacy our Aussie cars will leave behind. As much as it disappoints me it's just life unfortunately. I'll look back when I'm an old man and think of how the iconic Falcon and Commodore shaped the way we build cars with big V8s, good looks and a desire to be driven hard on the throttle like they should be.
4 users like this post: