Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #11
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
That mechanism looks almost identical to the one in the clock of mine I posted a picture of earlier.

First, lets get the key out of the way. If your mechanism is the same as mine, my key has an 8 stamped into it.

Using this site as a reference, a No 8 key fits a 4.25mm square shaft. By my calculated eye, and a rough measure with a measuring tape (coz I couldn't find a ruler) that seems about right. If you can measure the shaft on your clock, you'll at least be able to match up your clock to the key size you need.

This site is an aussie one and has a No 8 key in stock for $5. They also offers star clock keys in even and odd sizes. A bit more expensive ($16.50) but at least a good chance that you'll find something that fits. And best bit is, they have them available.

Ok, on to getting your clock running. I can see the suspension spring is there and that the pendulum suspension spring rods are fitted. That is where the pendulum is suspended from. Following the shaft visible in the picture down, you have the pendulum guide (a bit hard to see in this pic as the chime (or gong) spring is in the way) where the pendulum sits and makes the mechanism run.

Once your clock is wound, encourage that guide to start. If everything is ok, it should run fairly strongly for a couple of minutes without the pendulum. If it doesn't that means there's an issue somewhere else, maybe things need a good lube, or perhaps one of the bearings is worn.

If everything runs ok up to this stage, it's time to suspend the pendulum. Hang it from the spring rods, ensuring the pendulum shaft sits inside the guide, but that it doesn't touch the front (clock face) side of the guide as this will cause it to sop quite quickly. Start the pendulum and see how it runs.

The next part is to listen to the clock mechanism: it should be a nice, even rhythm. It should be tick.....tock.....tick.....tock not tick..tock........tick..tock. If the rhythm is uneven, there should be arms from the face with screws that attach from the back that allow you to loosen the mechanism and rotate the face within the body of the clock. Incrementally adjust this until the rhythm is nice and even.

Having done all that, your clock should then work ok. The last thing to do is to adjust the length of the weight on the pendulum so that the clock keeps time. Run the weight down the shaft if it's running fast, and up the shaft if it's running slow. Very minor adjustments may be needed to get it spot on. Start off with visible changes to the location of the weight on the shaft so that a discernible difference in time keeping is evident. Then make finer adjustments as you go.

Hope that helps, Ross 1. Sing out and let us know how you go along the way. Hopefully it's just a case of the clock needing winding to get going again.
Awesome help, cheers for that
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: