Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #11
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

I wonder if there's any bullwhip effect playing out in the decision beyond the political stuff
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/202...llwhip-effect/

---

Anyways, we've recently done the nullarbor for the 15th time or something and some fuel observations. Stocking up in the east with full tank and jerry, we filled on way over and then north of Adelaide, Ceduna. I was expecting the stations from Eucla to Norseman to be very expensive, so emptied jerry. Most we paid back in August was 2.59 at Nullarbor, the aforementioned stretch was in the 2.30s to 2.40. As always, some amazing things to see along the way, where it appears there isn't much to see!

One observation, someone asked in the V Facts thread what price would stop people driving, 2.50, $3? Well, this trip over was bliss because it's the quietest I've ever seen it. Been doing trips since the late 90s. So maybe the Big Trip might be viewed a bit more as a discretionary spend now the covid $$$ have dried up?

The laden AWD petrol Terry did really well, got it to 10.03L/100km. Pretty good considering a mate's current model diesel Prado was doing 11.5 on a country run, unladen. Terry total fuel cost was about $800, 2 people, and a lot of packing stuff to take to help a relative move in... not bad, really. The Ford I6 has 320,000 on the clock now, unopened and still strong. We did this one quickly, 2 drivers, quite a few rest stops and overnight got sufficient sleep.

Cars noted: Vic has Rangies, as does the Coonawarra, in some number. Eyre peninsula is dominated by 79 series LandCruisers. Nullarbor was just us and the trucks with a sprinkling of grey nomads. Great southern WA seems to have Falcon/Commodore replaced by Toyota hybrids - Camry, RAV4, Corolla.