Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
balistc
Starter Motor

Default BA XR8 exhaust on NF Fairlane??

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, but I'm a regular on quite a few other car forums (specifically Subaru based ones, because I also own a WRX).

My grandfather gave me his '96 NF Fairlane Ghia 5.0 a few years ago, because he replaced it with a BA Fairmont Ghia.

Great condition, low km, etc...done a few repairs, etc, over the past few years to get it as new again, and as of today I've replaced a dead AFM and 2 new oxy sensors are going in tomorrow!

I also know the cats are stuffed because it seems extremely restricted at the top end of the rev range, and has a terrible "egg smell" after a hard thrash, so the exhaust will have to be tickled also.

What I was thinking, was to fit an exhaust off another Ford model, say a BA XR8, or use bits and pieces such as the BA XR8 cats, mufflers, resonators, but with custom pipes.

The way I see it, if this exhaust can help make 260kw or more on a 5.4 litre quad cam V8, it'll help my lowly 165kw 5.0 litre windsor breathe a lot better whilst retaining some sort of noise suppression! I got the idea from an autospeed.com article I read on budget exhaust systems using factory components off other vehicles.

Seeing some pictures of both systems, they look "roughly" similar in dimension.

Does anyone know, if a BA XR8 exhaust will even come close to fitting, or will I have to run the custom pipes with the factory XR8 mufflers and cats? Maybe by relocating the hangers, it'll have some chance of fitting?

Is this a good idea, or a stupid one?

Cheers for ya help!

balistc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post