Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2020, 12:34 AM   #91
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Endura Culled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
No doubt, i understand the politics, it just worries me that Ford are happy to have their customers pull their 24ft 3.2t vans with a vehicle legally capable of doing it but not really ideal when they could have a similarly priced F truck with margin to spare if not for profit margins.
The way I understand it is that most Rangers don't tow anything except maybe
jet skis on the weekend when the tax man isn't looking.........
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #92
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Protectionism or restriction of trade?
Old 17-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #93
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
With the new import legislation I wonder if Ford Australia would be able to do this again?

It certainly is restriction of trade, a salty move on behalf of Ford Australia.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #94
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Protectionism by Ford (not the government)
The reason Ford acted was to protect its high end Ranger sales, there is no restriction on
importing F150 other than seeking large discounts from the parent US company.

It might be rotten but it's a huge concession from Ford that they know how dangerous
an affordable F150 would be to high end Ranger sales. No way are they going to let
someone discount their way into taking those sales.
Old 17-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #95
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

If you look at the logic, it's clear that Ford knows that a factory RHD F150 would put the sword
through all of Rangers top end models and thus the reason why the above vehicle will never happen.
These things would sell like hotcakes here as flatbed farm vehicles.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #96
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It's protectionism, plain and simple. Ford was in a position of stopping a product it knew would
attract more than a few buyers away from those +$76,000 Ranger Raptors that Ford has for sale.
The mere threat of an F150 in the ball park was enough to raise alarm bells, so they stopped it.

If you look at the logic, it's clear that Ford knows that a factory RHD F150 would put the sword
through all of Rangers top end models and thus the reason why the above vehicle will never happen.
Yep. And when Raptor has just had a record sales month, they will enjoy swimming in that fat profit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #97
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

They always overprice their 4wds. The average Joe Blow isn't gonna pay 45-50k for that. Dreamin.

Last edited by kaniSS; 17-11-2020 at 02:20 PM.
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #98
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
They always overprice their 4wds. The average Joe Blow isn't gonna pay 45-50k for that. Dreamin.
But with respect, it’s not about the average Joe,
it’s about getting enough buyers to keep buying
those high end models.

Ford is not dumb enough to risk those absolute
cream sales, not when those buyers are eating
out of their hand...
Old 17-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yep. And when Raptor has just had a record sales month, they will enjoy swimming in that fat profit.
Yep, in spite of the commentary, Ranger is booming.
Not bad for an aging vehicle.
Old 17-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #100
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
But with respect, it’s not about the average Joe,
it’s about getting enough buyers to keep buying
those high end models.

Ford is not dumb enough to risk those absolute
cream sales, not when those buyers are eating
out of their hand...
That average Joe you speak of might be a large fleet buyer who's not looking for upspec bells and whistles.

Old 17-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #101
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
The problem is there is still a steering column, exhaust systems, and Engines then need to comply with the routing of all of the relevant parts.
exactly. One of the major design hurdles on translating a LHD to a RHD is the stackup in crash of all those parts on the RHS of the car that are okay on the passenger side, but would drive the pedals up through the drivers leg bones in a RHD car.

There are also engine bay package issues driven by steering column routing and brake booster position. Arguably with electric boosters that isn't so important, but you still have to route the steering column. No cars are steer by wire yet and in fact I think that's actually not allowed by the Regs. There has to be a mechanical connection.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #102
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
That average Joe you speak of might be a large fleet buyer who's not looking for upspec bells and whistles.
Well Ranger and Hilux are getting the lions share of the segment,
no doubt there are skin flints out there buying discounted Tritons
but by and large, more manufacturers are looking to increase prices.
Old 17-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #103
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I notice a few skin flints buying the new Triton lately especially now they are offering a 10 year warranty and hope they keep doing so.

Old 17-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #104
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
, but you still have to route the steering column. No cars are steer by wire yet and in fact I think that's actually not allowed by the Regs. There has to be a mechanical connection.
That's interesting. I guess it makes sense because if EPAS fails it reverts to non power assisted steering.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #105
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I notice a few skin flints buying the new Triton lately especially now they are offering a 10 year warranty and hope they keep doing so.
With 964 sales last month, down from 1446.

I'd be offering ten year warranty too.......
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #106
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Yeah but its not a 10 year manufacturer warranty its the 'you need to get your car only serviced by us or no warranty' warranty
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #107
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been seeing lately guys comments that the Mustang sales have slowed a fair bit . Do you think that they might cull that at some stage too ?.. I hope not because on my bucket list for retirement , God willing , is to buy a new one .

That's about five years away yet and I'll need a bit of my super to do it without doing a big bank loan . It's the only Ford now that I really desire . Not all that interested in anything else currently on offer except a chance I might develop a more keen thought for a Ranger ..I don't mind them but it'd be the first ever cab vehicle I'd ever own if I did buy one .

I'd love a Mustang though...just for the hell of it in my case .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #108
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Been seeing lately guys comments that the Mustang sales have slowed a fair bit . Do you think that they might cull that at some stage too ?.. I hope not because on my bucket list for retirement , God willing , is to buy a new one .

That's about five years away yet and I'll need a bit of my super to do it without doing a big bank loan . It's the only Ford now that I really desire . Not all that interested in anything else currently on offer except a chance I might develop a more keen thought for a Ranger ..I don't mind them but it'd be the first ever cab vehicle I'd ever own if I did buy one .

I'd love a Mustang though...just for the hell of it in my case .
We're at the end of the product cycle with a new evolution due next year, a lot of it depends
on what Ford offers, buyers stay away unless there's something new and compelling.
Old 18-11-2020, 12:00 AM   #109
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Yeah but its not a 10 year manufacturer warranty its the 'you need to get your car only serviced by us or no warranty' warranty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YNK3bo2B0

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #110
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

I wouldn't buy one either.
I would like to see the ABN buyers insentive taken away from 4 door utes and see how all of them go with sales.
It reminds me of the high petrol prices a while back everyone swapping over to diesel whinging about the cost, then when the diesel prices were re adjusted up everyone was screaming about the lack of power compared to their ex petrol powered cars.
Point is..... most are only buying these imported junk utes because its a government funded lifestyle.

Old 18-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #111
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Triton sales collapsed last month, it has deeper issues than a warranty.
I've had lots of seat time in the current Triton, I'm not a fan of the low door frame that
makes taller people tuck their heads to get in and out of the thing, I'd never own one.
Old 18-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #112
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
We're at the end of the product cycle with a new evolution due next year, a lot of it depends
on what Ford offers, buyers stay away unless there's something new and compelling.
When things get tough personal sports car sales are not a high priority to the consumer either.

Utes are useful and there as business incentive, dont hate the player hate the game.

They are not junk or bad cars, at the end of the day they are tools (very useful) and serve a purpose.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #113
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
When things get tough personal sports car sales are not a high priority to the consumer either.

Utes are useful and there as business incentive, dont hate the player hate the game.

They are not junk or bad cars, at the end of the day they are tools (very useful) and serve a purpose.
Like high series Ranger, Mustang buyers tend to be less affected by unsettled financial times plus Ford is asking top dollar for them so it’s not like selling $40k Falcons. Equally, sales performance in our market is not expected to be more than a few hundred a month anyway. It’s not like Ford Australia’s fate is hanging by a thread, depending on these sales, they are what they are in spite what a certain self appointed social media expert thinks. I won’t say his name.....
Old 18-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #114
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At home we're currently surrounded by home renovations and complete rebuilds and tradies utes everywhere, young workers in base models and the workers with some years behind them in newer/higher spec versions. I asked one driving a 6 month old Wildtrak if Ford announced a V6 diesel was coming next year would he have held off buying the current one. Simple answer no, he just would have waited so trade-in or private sale matched his payout figure.

He also said his banker was offering to re-finance all his borrowings at today's much lower rate, this would give him lower finance on some of his vehicles bought in 2017/2018, so he can borrow more, pay less per month and be fixed for 3 years...and work is piling up.

Low finance is here for a while so sales like Ranger are safe as long as they don't blow the new product.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #115
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Low finance is here for a while so sales like Ranger are safe as long as they don't blow the new product.
The new styling seems to be love it or hate it, if the photos and renders are right.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #116
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
At home we're currently surrounded by home renovations and complete rebuilds and tradies utes everywhere, young workers in base models and the workers with some years behind them in newer/higher spec versions. I asked one driving a 6 month old Wildtrak if Ford announced a V6 diesel was coming next year would he have held off buying the current one. Simple answer no, he just would have waited so trade-in or private sale matched his payout figure.

He also said his banker was offering to re-finance all his borrowings at today's much lower rate, this would give him lower finance on some of his vehicles bought in 2017/2018, so he can borrow more, pay less per month and be fixed for 3 years...and work is piling up.

It looks awesome

Will move the game forward just like the 2011 one did.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #117
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Its funny you mention the skin flints buying Tritons, I think of all the Ranger and Toyota skin flints buying unsuitable tow vehicles for their overweight trailer, 5th wheel and caravan's

At least RHD RAM's, Chevy's and converted F150 are better suited to this ever increasing towing mass, market.
Ford needs to build some real trucks again. Big balloon tyres and a sticker pack don't cut it in the medium weight range.

Old 18-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #118
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Its funny you mention the skin flints buying Tritons, I think of all the Ranger and Toyota skin flints buying unsuitable tow vehicles for their overweight trailer, 5th wheel and caravan's

At least RHD RAM's, Chevy's and converted F150 are better suited to this ever increasing towing mass, market.
Ford needs to build some real trucks again. Big balloon tyres and a sticker pack don't cut it in the medium weight range.
That's all medium utes.

And are you weighing these caravans and trailers to know how much they actually weigh, or just making uninformed assumptions based on your opinion?
Old 18-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #119
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
That's all medium utes.

And are you weighing these caravans and trailers to know how much they actually weigh, or just making uninformed assumptions based on your opinion?
Owning several real trucks, fitting out 2 large boats and building 3 custom motorhomes I have a very good understanding on what, trailers, RV's and boats weight, thanks.

3 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #120
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And now Europe releases the Hybrid Kuga/Escape and Ford Australia plays funny buggers...a real Rav4 Hybrid competitor and they pretend they're an American Warship Captain neither able to conform or deny they are nuclear armed and yet "Warning Nuclear Radiation Hazard" warning signs are plastered on the side of the bulkhead...

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...stralian-plans

Many just cannot fit chargers or run cables to their cars when parked on the street, want hybrids and this Escape has a claimed range near 1000km..diesel type economy and a proven sales success for this type of powertrain in Australia. After Ranger THIS should be Ford Aust's most important seller.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post