Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Diesel and its pollution.

When I was in Diesal loving Europe last year, I was shocked to see all the buildings and landmarks were Black from Diesel fumes. A clean up team were restoring the Colluseum when I passed through Rome. They had only done a very small section of the Limestone structure and boy what a differance! Sooty black to pure white. Even Michaelangelo's David is being stained as the fumes travel through the air con and entrances.

On a smaller scale, you can really see the walls inside New Northbridge tunnell in Perth are slowing being coated by carbon residue. and Diesel is not that prominent in Perth..Yet (Besides trucks)

Im just concerned that Australia - who is importing more and more Diesel cars plus Holdens plan to produce Diesel Commodores, will be heading towards the pollution disaster that I have witnessed in Europe.

I praise Fords plan to make future models of Falcons to run on LPG. Plus Alanna Mctiernan's (Transport minister for WA) push for environmentally friendly hydrogen and LPG busses and her electric government Vehicle scheme. Which mind you the Federal government is yet to approve as the vehicles are still just a concept and the design rules may not meet the nations standards.

I just see the up and commig Diesel era holding us back form really making a differance in our environment.

fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordowner
I just see the up and commig Diesel era holding us back form really making a differance in our environment.
The newer diesels on the market now reduce emissions even more by the inclusion of the particlate filter. Our Peugeot when running doesn't emit any black smoke. It doesn't even smell like a diesel because of the filters.
The damage you saw in Europe is probably from years of diesel use and the older diesel engines without filters on the exhaust. Things are probably going to be different in the coming years when the older engines are removed from the current fleet of cars on the roads.

Edit: According to the Peugeot website, our Pug emits 148/183 g/km of CO2. Could find what the current Falcon emmissions are. Can someone elighten me?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
RS500
RB 25 TURBO USER

Yeah the new diesels are getting better. You have to remember that diesel powered sedans are newish over here and most that are on the market are luxuary cars (audi, VW ect) that have good emissions where as in Europe there are many cheap Diesels available. ou can get a Hyundai accent diesel over there which will be no where as good as the cars being sold here.

The problem is the old diesel 4X4 that are chugging around the streets here. they are the ones that will be ruining everything for us here
RS500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Particulate is the one big downfall of this fuel isnt it?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
cupic
Nikon

In all diesel they must have the particle filter in tip top condition otherwise it spuzes out crap and smells like crap.
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
The newer diesels on the market now reduce emissions even more by the inclusion of the particlate filter. Our Peugeot when running doesn't emit any black smoke. It doesn't even smell like a diesel because of the filters.
The damage you saw in Europe is probably from years of diesel use and the older diesel engines without filters on the exhaust. Things are probably going to be different in the coming years when the older engines are removed from the current fleet of cars on the roads.

Edit: According to the Peugeot website, our Pug emits 148/183 g/km of CO2. Could find what the current Falcon emmissions are. Can someone elighten me?
Current XT falcon 4 speed auto on petrol: 255g/km
Current XT falcon 4 speed auto on gas: 244g/km
Current XR8 falcon 6 speed auto: 325g/km
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Comparable stats for particulate anyone?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too true RS500.
When I was in England the bloke who I stayed with ran his car on used cooking oil from his local fish and chip shop with a litre of Kero. It was Hillarious when we stopped at the lights and all you could smell was Onion Rings and Chips!
That was his way of saving the environment. But geez his car ran like *h#t!
Those emission figures you guys provided are astounding!

Last edited by fordOwner; 02-11-2006 at 07:16 PM.
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

redbook.com.au has a ton of great info!
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post