Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels
Default holden spare parts

there in trouble again holden parts maker putting of staff in south aus poor buggers hard enuf to find a job let alone getting laid off :

bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

yeah it really sucks that people got laid off especially by holden coz holden really sucks aye where did you hear this mate got any more info

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Falcon Freak
Banned

Click here for details

How many suppliers have gone into administration this year? Way too many I say. Could it be that the company which apparently means so much to Australia is screwing a lot of the Australian suppliers out of existence?

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Nice one sided comment, what about Ford reducing production by 20% offering redundancies at all plants and looking to cut back the hours of operations, the entire Australian car market it doing it pretty tough. Open your eyes its EVERY manufacturer. I fail to see how Holden can screw them out of business, they are a business they MUST operate based on costs vs profits, if they go under or are in trouble, then thats the business Fault, or are you saying that Holden are responsible for trying to get the best parts at the best price, cause I thought that was what business is all about.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

This thread is talking about Holden. If you look closely you will find other threads in these forums relating to Ford's production reductions and the general state of the local automotive industry. _

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Hally

FF,

His point is still valid. Why do you assume that Holden are screwing suppliers out of business?

It is normal business sense that if you can buy a product at $x (be it either locally or overseas) and you tell your supplier network that is all you are going to pay for, the local supplier network say's 'I will match it' without doing there sums properly and go out the door backwards, why is it the purchasers fault?

It is simply a case that Australia cannot manufacturer car parts as cheap as firms from offshore. In the past the industry has had tarriff protection. Everyone says we should rejoice at this as it makes everything cheaper. It is also putting Australians out of work. The local car industry needs to make cars as cheap as possible because Australians buy on price and feature, not on any nationalistic pride of local product.

And one final point on my rant. The union movement in this country is doing nothing to help the situation. I have been working on an insurance deal with one of the biggest component suppliers in the country, which will save approximately 50% on one type of employee insurance. Because the lead union is getting a big kickback from the current insurer, it refuses (& threatens strike action) not to let this company change insurers. And to top it off the employees don't get as good cover with the current insurer.

FF, I am sure it was you who started a thread a few days ago about the declining state of the local industry and you made some valid points and i thought it was the most sensible thread that has been on this forum for ages. I don't understand why your comments on this one have been so short sighted.

I am not trying to be offensive to you personally, but this one eyed crap needs to be put in context of a wider problem.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

i am only concerd about the families that this affects to many people trying to get goverment hand outs in this country as it is also heard there could be a recall of new model holden as well heard it on 11 oclock news today
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Click here for details

How many suppliers have gone into administration this year? Way too many I say. Could it be that the company which apparently means so much to Australia is screwing a lot of the Australian suppliers out of existence?

FF

Not exactly Holden's fault. Ford have had at least 10 companies go into administration this year. Ford/Holden put their part out to tender and Ford chooses the cheapest one. But when cars dont sell, than less parts are made and less profit is made by the company. Also with the price of commodities sky rocketing some companies cant cope. Also if the tendering company have to pay back Holden/Ford for the upfront money for tooling than they get screwed when the industry hits the skids.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

[QUOTE=MYVYSS]Nice one sided comment, what about Ford reducing production by 20% offering redundancies at all plants and looking to cut back the hours of operations, the entire Australian car market it doing it pretty tough. QUOTE]

Using that logic you could say that its all the publics fault for not buying enough Fords. If the buying public are turning away from Australian made cars how exactly is that Fords fault?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bossxr8]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Nice one sided comment, what about Ford reducing production by 20% offering redundancies at all plants and looking to cut back the hours of operations, the entire Australian car market it doing it pretty tough. QUOTE]

Using that logic you could say that its all the publics fault for not buying enough Fords. If the buying public are turning away from Australian made cars how exactly is that Fords fault?
Because Ford Australia are not manufacturing and supplying to the very same public the products that said public now actually want.....ie: high performance economical 4 cylinder cars, case in point, XR5 Focus......."Ford simply can't get em quick enough!!".....the Fiesta XR4 will be exactly the same.

When will Oz car manufacturers get the message....when it's all way too late presumably, "6 and 8 cylinders are quickly becoming a thing of the past", look at the all new Commodore, mega investmant and now they can't sell the bloody things!!, Mitsi 380.....same thing, what's next?.....new model Falcon perhaps?

Just imagine if Holden used all that wasted money spent on the new Commi and actually had the foresight to develop and put into manufacture here in Australia an all new high performance 4 cylinder sports car range....would they all be sitting in car yards across the nation waiting for someone to at least come and have a look?......I personally doubt it.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

How can you compare Commodore and the 380:P, Ones at the pointy end and the other is a back marker.
But if your a 4 banger lover each too there own.
But if there was enough interest in a Torana size car holden would build it, They still might build it. But don't ever think people don't still want large cars with big engines, 70% of cars seen on the roads are still Falcons and Commodores. Holden and Ford can't build large and small cars without something getting the big chop, And people still want them and they will still build them, To be honest the economy gap between a family falcon commodore 6 too a 4cyl say Camry is closer then ever.

A Large family Australian car is still the most flexible car on the market.
Old 20-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
To be honest the economy gap between a family falcon commodore 6 too a 4cyl say Camry is closer then ever.

A Large family Australian car is still the most flexible car on the market.
They did a comparison and I think you saved about 4-6 dollars on a 4 cylinder Camry compared to a 6 cylinder one when refilling your tank.

For that reason, give me a 6. And certainly not a bloody Camry.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #13
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
They did a comparison and I think you saved about 4-6 dollars on a 4 cylinder Camry compared to a 6 cylinder one when refilling your tank.

For that reason, give me a 6. And certainly not a bloody Camry.
I wonder did they through in there that the 6's have larger tanks more money too fill?
In 4 years both cars will run under 10l/100 easy. We will have 6 speed across the board standard and maybe a smaller capacity engine with diesel too choice. They might be large but they will hit back.
I'm proud of what they have done and i say too both stick it out and keep working on what you have people will realise one day that bigger isn't always worse on fuel.
Old 20-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 4 cylinder engine would rev higher anyway, and that can't be all that great.

Back when I did work exp. at City of Monash Depot Works, the safety guy said NEVER buy a 4 cylinder Magna, as his blew.

And I choose to take that advice. In fact, I don't think I'll get a Magna at all.
Old 20-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
The 4 cylinder engine would rev higher anyway, and that can't be all that great.

Back when I did work exp. at City of Monash Depot Works, the safety guy said NEVER buy a 4 cylinder Magna, as his blew.

And I choose to take that advice. In fact, I don't think I'll get a Magna at all.
Yes good advice.. True you would need to rev harder and if you like some acceleration you would be up it all day. People who don't think about the car just get too a too B cheap this is there car 4cyl.
Old 20-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once again though, people buy 4 cyl Camrys because they want a car that is seemingly reliable, but I just don't think family cars should run on 4 cylinders.

I have never seen anybody who knows anything about cars drive a 4 cylinder Camry. And you don't need to know much. I don't know all that much, but at least I try to learn and listen to those who have an idea.

Hence, why I won't ever get a 4 cyl family sized car.
Old 20-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
But don't ever think people don't still want large cars with big engines, 70% of cars seen on the roads are still Falcons and Commodores. Holden and Ford can't build large and small cars without something getting the big chop
Agreed.....many people do still want the large Aussie 6 or 8.....but nowhere near in the numbers that they used to in say the 70's, 80's or even 1990's, hence why this Commi is the slowest selling new release Commi of all time, the last completely new model 9 years ago sold twice as many in it's first month of release than this new one....."twice as many!!"

Unfortunately both Ford and Holden are putting all their eggs in one basket by only manufacturing the larger cars here in Oz, forget about the smaller imported models....they only provide jobs for the people in those countries where those particular cars are made.

I'm not saying kill off the 6 and 8, far from it, there is obviously still a market for those models, just not as big a one as there once was.......what I'm saying is perhaps drop production numbers on those large cars and look at other models that can be manufactured here and hence save Aussie jobs rather than completely importing all the smaller 4 cylinder models from overseas......nobody in Oz has anything to gain by that.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #18
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oh I dunno; my mate has a TE 2.4 that he thrashes the **** off and it still goes like a Swiss clock. I like the profile of the TE Magna; especially the frameless doors and considering he paid $2000 for it at an auction, I'd consider one. The TE bought with it an all new 4 cylinderbut I've heard nothing but bad things for any previous generation Magnas (as well as they look like shyte) .
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #19
070mstg

Quote:
Once again though, people buy 4 cyl Camrys because they want a car that is seemingly reliable, but I just don't think family cars should run on 4 cylinders.

I have never seen anybody who knows anything about cars drive a 4 cylinder Camry. And you don't need to know much. I don't know all that much, but at least I try to learn and listen to those who have an idea.

Hence, why I won't ever get a 4 cyl family sized car.
i've got a 94 camry wagon,work car,does about 100 to 150km a day,its just clicked over 320 000km and all mechanicals still going strong,has done an alternater and CV boots (cv's still good)in the last few years.thats all.. not reliable hey?
oh and by the way i dont take too much care of it either,oil and filter every 10000 maybe more
and my parents bought this car new so i know its had nothing more than servicing
4 cyl family cars arent for everyone, i need space and do alot of travelling so fuel AND RELIABILITY is of importance and to me.this car has never left me stranded 'cept a flat battery from the worn alternator,unlike the mustang which breaks down on a regular basis,but yes,its 25 years older...
070mstg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post