Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Turbo Or Supercharger?

hey guys, just curious as to how much the price difference is between gettin your stock 4.0 litre turbo'd or supercharged? 1 of my mates said that a supercharger would cost around 10 grand and a turbo around 5? my car seems to be a bit sluggish sometimes i.e doesn't take off fast enough sometimes i gotta rev her out, any tips on improving the performance as i aint got much money atm lol. i currently got a 2.5 inch exhaust system, pacemaker extractors & k&n air filter.

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent83
hey guys, just curious as to how much the price difference is between gettin your stock 4.0 litre turbo'd or supercharged? 1 of my mates said that a supercharger would cost around 10 grand and a turbo around 5? my car seems to be a bit sluggish sometimes i.e doesn't take off fast enough sometimes i gotta rev her out, any tips on improving the performance as i aint got much money atm lol. i currently got a 2.5 inch exhaust system, pacemaker extractors & k&n air filter.
i'm guessing it's a manual ? firstly a supercharger won't cost you 10K, some will, but basic setups won't set you back that much. Try other things first since you have little money. Maybe consider a more sporty dif ? Maybe try a custom tune, but it will cost over $1000. There are many many things you can try... what's your budget ?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I suggest you check ebay for dick datsuns books and read how to build a nlower for just a couple of gundred dollars or google for gator supercharges
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Turbos for the inline 6

Superchargers for V8

simple as that there your answer. :monkes:

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Superchargers work very well on the I6s ... especially LPG ones.
If your running an auto ... I'd suggest a supercharger.
If manual on the other hand the turbo would be a better bet as it will make the most of it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

A few things :P

You mention a stock 4.0l... A turbo set-up will not benefit from the higher adjustable boost levels on a stock engine.. 10 PSI would be as far as I went without atleast a decompression plate. So the big advaantage of running higher boost levels in turbo set-ups in not really applicable to a 'stock' engine

Deesn't take off fast enough, gotta rev her out abit you say... Welcome to the world of the Ford i6.. The problem is not so much power related but driveline related.. Diff gears, a manual conversion or hi-stall will fix the 'feel' of the car as much as a low boost blown application would.

From experience, the Supercharger and turbo charger (on a boost for boost level) would be roughly the same price to purchase, being that the supercharger is usually a cheaper install.

You don't have much coin... well bang for buck on a tight budget, forget boost for now, look at the other factors.. Do you do lots of highway klms, do you have aspirations of a set 1/4 mile time or power level, Do you have a manual license, what is your insurance like, how travelled is the driveline now?

consider these things before you start thinking big

Personally on a 'stock' engine I would go the supercharger ( i am :P) but if you are willing to spend abit of money on the engine and want lots more power; turbo charging win hands down.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
If you ain't got much money you're prob best not to look at either option.

So far my estimated cost for all the parts and getting things together for my turbo conversion is around 11k. I'm sure I'll find more things I need as I get further into it.

Maybe you should look at a hi stall convertor(if you have an auto) or a change in diff gears.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
A few things :P

You mention a stock 4.0l... A turbo set-up will not benefit from the higher adjustable boost levels on a stock engine.. 10 PSI would be as far as I went without atleast a decompression plate. So the big advaantage of running higher boost levels in turbo set-ups in not really applicable to a 'stock' engine

Deesn't take off fast enough, gotta rev her out abit you say... Welcome to the world of the Ford i6.. The problem is not so much power related but driveline related.. Diff gears, a manual conversion or hi-stall will fix the 'feel' of the car as much as a low boost blown application would.

From experience, the Supercharger and turbo charger (on a boost for boost level) would be roughly the same price to purchase, being that the supercharger is usually a cheaper install.

You don't have much coin... well bang for buck on a tight budget, forget boost for now, look at the other factors.. Do you do lots of highway klms, do you have aspirations of a set 1/4 mile time or power level, Do you have a manual license, what is your insurance like, how travelled is the driveline now?

consider these things before you start thinking big

Personally on a 'stock' engine I would go the supercharger ( i am :P) but if you are willing to spend abit of money on the engine and want lots more power; turbo charging win hands down.
Good advice methinks!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the good advice guys! nah shes an auto not a manual..i'm kinda wishing i had a manual now but cant change it hehe. what about getting a flash tuner? i heard they give u slightly more power output and better gear changes??
Old 27-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not too sure as to what a "hi stall converter" is? lol :/
Old 27-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

read :-

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also read through members cars in the workshops builds for different performance mods to do. It will give you an idea of mods to do, cost, their effect, and the honest truth on if its worth it as it their car. This will make it easier for you to decide on upgrading different parts.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

I'd suggest a manual conversion, that sure brings the I6 motor to life and makes it a hell of alot easier to keep the revs in the right power range.
Some of the other members on here that have converted to manuals could probably shed some light on the cost but from memory I think $2k - $2.5k would see it done.
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #14
The Mighty Red

If I had the $$$ which I don't :( , I'd go a Vortech Blower just for something different ,every man and his dog seems to be turbo'ed , up here anyway!

The powerdyne is ok but if you decided you want BIG power later on the Vortech can give you the boost where the powerdyne can't.