Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
TUF514
Banned

Default How do i register an unregistered car in QLD?

I know i have to get a roadworthy and mod plate for the engine, but what else do i have to do and who do i see?

is there a noise test at all?

TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
TUF514
Banned

btw, it has old out of date rego papers for victoria...... with the bigger engine listed.
Old 30-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

when i was up there weeks back now, i asked an officer and he said you need 3 things from 3 different places, before getting a temp reg, you need to provide 2 things, insurance and something else... forgotten now :|

probably best to go to queensland transport (or ring 'em) or just go to a police station

insurance ie: suncorp > someting else > temp reg from qld transport
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
TUF514
Banned

insurance?

you mean 1 day insurance so you can drive it to transport?
Old 30-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah basically, normal insurance from like suncorp, think it's called 'temp reg insurace' which would end when the temp reg runs out. It's just for the usual accident or if you injure someone.

I think you need to go to the police station as well, not 100% on that, forgotten... but 100% the officer said you need to go to three different places just to end up with a temp reg lol.
Old 30-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
I know i have to get a roadworthy and mod plate for the engine, but what else do i have to do and who do i see?

is there a noise test at all?
Get a road worthy

if it is from interstate you will need provide a revs certificate (proof it is not encumbered)

go to qld transport and pay money ( they will check engine numbers etc )
Old 30-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
mk11tute
Starter Motor

Go get a roadworthy then get ctp (compulsory third party insurance) then take those along with your original purchase reciept to queensland transport and away u go
mk11tute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #8
TUF514
Banned

yeah and to transport check the car over at all?

im a little concerned about the noise level....... 514ci through a 3 inch exhaust.

not sure if its under the allowed limit.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

The three things you need is
1. CTP insurance
2. Saftey Certificate
3. Registration From Queensland Transoport.

CTP insurance can be purchased from any of these places:
QBE, Allianz, AAMI, Suncorp, NRMA.
That is the first step.
Now it depends on how long it will take to get your car registered.
If you are on the very same day you get the CTP insurance certificate (original in your hand and valid) it will allow you a single trip to go from where the car is to the repairer to get the saftey certificate, and then directly to QLD Transport. (No side trips, for example you cannot stop on the way to get smokes or a drink, must be a direct trip)

If however you don't think this will all happen on the same day, for instance the car is at the repairers for a number of days you will then need to get a "day permit" these can be written for up to 7 days, with a day permit you must first of all purchase the same amount ie 1-7 days CTP insurance then purchase the permit from QT. Yes 2 seperate charges. Then you must purchase when ready to register the 6 or 12 month CTP and then the 6 or 12 month rego.

At Qld Transport they will inspect the certifcates, the car and then if all in order they will register the car for you.

After its registered you simply pay QLD transport the CTP charges with the rego.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
TUF514
Banned

thanks Yaw.

but when you say " inspect ", do they do a noise test? this could be a problem for me.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 AM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
yeah basically, normal insurance from like suncorp, think it's called 'temp reg insurace' which would end when the temp reg runs out. It's just for the usual accident or if you injure someone.

I think you need to go to the police station as well, not 100% on that, forgotten... but 100% the officer said you need to go to three different places just to end up with a temp reg lol.
You keep repeating this, youre wrong. I dont care if you just tried it, you misheard, or listened to the wrong person. Ive got many unregistered vehicle permits (one less than 3 months ago), the form required from the Department of Transport is an 'Unregistered Vehicle Permit'. You go to Suncorp (or your choice of insurer who offers 3rd party rego insurance), and then go to Department of Transport, thats it. No RWC needed.

As for the car in question, there is a hitch. One question on the DOT form is, is the vehicle modified from normal specs, or something along that line. I believe its whether the car is wider or longer type modified, but arent certain, Ive never tried with a big block, so i always just tick the no box.

As for getting a RWC (safety cert) and actual registration, see Yaws above post, its spot on.

Id say you need a QLD mod plate still for the 514. It may meet requirements for modification in Vic, but that doesnt mean it can be registered in Qld. You can register a 351 TC Cortina down south, but that can never be legitimately registered in Qld, ever. I forsee problems for you dumpiez.

Id ring the head office of DOT and speak directly to the modification section, dont bother speaking to the local branch, they will steer you wrong. They know jack nothing except the straight forward processing. Ive encountered them in regards to fitting a 351 into an XC. The counter staff reckon its not allowed because it was a 6, lol. Another project was a V8 into a Cortina, the staff reckon they may look at a 3.5 Rover V8, but nothing else. The truth is, the limit is a 302 in a TC Cortina. Speak to the Brisbane Mod section, with the others its potluck.

As I interpret the MOD LA listings, its actually MOD LA3 for the type of mod youve got or something like that, I cant find the papers I was sent by DOT. As far as I recall, the largest motor in a Falcon in Qld, is 429. Im going from memory, so dont quote me on that, Ive just searched the desk area, shelves, drawers etc for the forms, but cant find em.

Basically theres 3 types of mod.
- LA1 is the change over of a motor of equal size (dont ask me why thats a mod, no mod plate required anyway). Ie: Swap one 250 for another 250.
- LA2 is the transplant of a larger motor than original, but one fitted to the model. Ie: 351 into a factory 250 Falcon. Mod plate required.
- LA3 is the type you have. They have a formula they use which uses weight and displacement. There is an upper limit. This ones a bit quirky. Generally the weight is based on the heaviest version of the particular model released from the factory, even if yours is the lightest. You cant argue the case, they will tell you which vehicle is the comparison. Occasionally, they will specify another model as the weight base.

Last edited by fmc351; 01-12-2006 at 03:18 AM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 AM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

sorry oh wise-one, i was just posting from my experience when I was in qld, main thing I noted was you had go go to 3 different places just to end up legally driving a car unregistered, and I wasn't sure apart from the temp reg & insurance - I was unsure what the other thing you needed.

what yaw said:

1. CTP insurance
2. Saftey Certificate
3. Registration From Queensland Transport.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #13
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
sorry oh wise-one, i was just posting from my experience when I was in qld, main thing I noted was you had go go to 3 different places just to end up legally driving a car unregistered, and I wasn't sure apart from the temp reg & insurance - I was unsure what the other thing you needed.

what yaw said:

1. CTP insurance
2. Saftey Certificate
3. Registration From Queensland Transport.
Again you misread. That is to register a car in Qld.

Youre talking about temp reg. That only requires two places. Insurer, Rego Dept. Thats it. I live here, have had plenty of day regos, and one less than 3 months ago. The only change over the years has been the cost of the damn things, they arent cheap.

insurance - $66 (give or take a dollar depending on insurer) +
1 days rego - $17 per day.

You do not need a safety certificate for day reg in Qld.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 AM   #14
TUF514
Banned

ok the engine is a 460 and thats fine for the coupe. seen plenty registered so thats no problem.

yep, i need a mod plate. it is organised and will be getting done early next week, as will a roadworthy.

so basically everything i need to rego it i will be getting.

my BIG concern, as i have said before, was if they check noise..... its a 514 going through a 3 inch exhaust.....
Old 01-12-2006, 03:39 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Why not just shut it up with a cheapish 2 1/2 and a stack of mufflers? I assume most of that will be tested at the Mod inspection.

Pray they dont do a displacement check. They can measure it without the heads off.

When you say youve seen em reg'd, do you know they weretn regd witha 351, and post swapped with a big block. Plenty people run the gauntlet.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

ok, what you want to do about noise is roll up a tight wad of steel wool in some chicken wire - make about a 3 inch thick cylinder. Drive to the testing station and use a broomstick to bash the cylinder up the end of the exhaust. They'll do the test, you'll probably be sweet. On the way out of the testing station, give it a big rev and it'll fire the temporary muffler out the back and off you go.

I have seen this work before.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
ok, what you want to do about noise is roll up a tight wad of steel wool in some chicken wire - make about a 3 inch thick cylinder. Drive to the testing station and use a broomstick to bash the cylinder up the end of the exhaust. They'll do the test, you'll probably be sweet. On the way out of the testing station, give it a big rev and it'll fire the temporary muffler out the back and off you go.

I have seen this work before.

Ah, the ol' steel wool trick, works a treat..........
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #18
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
ok the engine is a 460 and thats fine for the coupe. seen plenty registered so thats no problem.

yep, i need a mod plate. it is organised and will be getting done early next week, as will a roadworthy.

so basically everything i need to rego it i will be getting.

my BIG concern, as i have said before, was if they check noise..... its a 514 going through a 3 inch exhaust.....
Aslong as it is not ridiculously loud you'll be fine.3" exhaust would be ok.I ve reg'd big block falcons no trouble as long as mod plate is there.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #19
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as long as you have the RWC and receipt for proof of purchase including engine and chassis numbers on it they will register it and they hardly ever look at car anymore unless there is something wrong with details supplied on your paper work.they tell you you need to buy the third party insurance first but they can take the payment off you there ,but most QLD Transport offices are located very close to an Insurance broker for Suncorp.in Hervey Bay and Logan(Brisbane suburb) they are right opposite each other nearly.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
nearly forgot, for a RWC to be done the inspector needs a trade plate or your third party insurance to be able to test drive car, sneaky QLD Transport have been busting the RWC issuers lately for driving unregistered cars as they must be driven to test car properly.so if no trade plate and or no third party they must not have tested car properly or driven it with no insurance,(catch 22),i buy and sell cars all the time and when i have current car ready for RWC i go insure it for 6 months then drive to RWC place and even if i need to fix a few things then i pass RWC then drive to QLD Transport sometimes the insurance is 5 or 6 days different to REGO but i have never had anyone ask about that so saves day permits which cost over $80 now.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

please note
where ever you live in Australia,
if going to your motor reg office never I repeat NEVER ask them a question at counter as you will be stuffed around and have to go about it the hard way as like most Government employees they dont want to take any responcibility if they are not 100%correct so they go to supervisor and HEY PRESTO your stuck there for ages .or they go over your car just to make sure they dont get blamed for any stuff up down the track.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
TUF514
Banned

no i have indeed seen xc's with registered big blocks, as greg also stated.

the roadworthy and mod plate are taken care of...... no worries there.

ok well fingers crossed everything goes well.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
thanks Yaw.

but when you say " inspect ", do they do a noise test? this could be a problem for me.
At QLD Transport they will check the vin and engine numbers do a quick visual inspection eg, like when you go for your licence, check lights horn etc, as for the "mod" if its not leagal it will not pass the saftey certificate, or at least it should not if the repairer is doing thier job by the book.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:49 AM   #23
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the lady behing counter will only go out and check your numbers match paperwork ,is if the details on paperwork dont match computer details,and they never check lights horn etc.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
TUF514
Banned

ok sweet.

cheers.