Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: still a waste of money?
yes, 23 26.74%
No 33 38.37%
its a holden so yeah. lol 30 34.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #91
XRchic
Hello

Given that my partner was only two weeks ago, involved in a massive accident - AU XR8 v pole, I would have to say that I would probably prefer either of my sons and my daughter to be in larger, newer cars. He hit the pole doing 100kmh as he fell asleep at the wheel in the country in the early hours of the morning.

The ambos and police told me that he would not have survived if he had been in a smaller or older car with no airbags and that the big V8 block absorbed the shock and saved him.

If you buy your kids little cheap tinfoil boxes, or older cars with poor suspension, poor brakes or no airbags, but think you are doing the right thing just because its a 4 cyl, then you are kidding yourself. Small and less powerful does not necessarily mean safer. You can drive at dangerous speeds just as easily in the 4cyl, and you are less protected. You can drive at dangerous speeds in an old car as well, but are less protected.

The power of the car is only an issue if the young person is going to cause the accident by their deliberate recklessness anyway. If you are a young driver in a powerful car, but get sideswiped by someone else out of control - I know what car you are better off in, and it aint the small cheapie 4cyl buzzbox.

If you lose control of your car due to being tired, inattention, a slight mistake in judgement or whatever (all of which are more common causes of accidents than outright reckless driving in a high powered car) then you are also better off in the newer, bigger cars. They generally would have vastly better brakes, suspension, crumple zones, airbag(s), better tyres, etc, etc....

I will be buying my kids cars and they will be as new as possible, and of a reasonable size while not being stupidly powerful that would invite them to misbehave in it - such as BA XR6 like mine for example. And I firmly believe that you can buy your child a reasonably powerful but safer car, and teach them to respect it and drive it PROPERLY (ie, pay attention, change lanes safely, keep left on highways, overtake sensibly, have confidence but not overconfidence, night driving, etc, etc)....

And by buying it myself, spoilt brats they may be, BUT I will have more control over it if I paid for it myself than if I just let them go and buy something. They want a free car, they will play by my rules.

Just my opinion.

: Cobra :
Old 29-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #92
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
No no no.

Thats not what I meant, and you know it. If I had a daughter and the means I would do exactly the same thing.

Its the parents that fund skylines etc etc for their P plater kids that I dont understand.
A new astra coupe is still probally worth more than alot of import car's like the 18osx or sykline's.
Old 29-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #93
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Lets change the world - Bone Thugs n Harmony
Old 29-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #94
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
why is it so hard to believe that not every p plater will be reckless and kill themselves on the roads?. doesnt anyone remember being young and wanting the car they wanted and paying for it and enjoy driving it? im sure alot of the oldies drove v8s and fast 6s in their days and they are still here. its natural selction and if someone is going to kill themselve they will do it in a typhoon and in a pulsar
I think a lot of the problem comes from the fact that:
a) We learnt to "drive" the car, all aspects of it, how to feel what the vehicle was doing at all times. Some modern cars can do alot of the driving for you.
b) Check out the performance figures of a modern econo-box and what that correlates to in a car from the 70's or 80's or even the early 90's. Also consider that an average wage can easily afford a 2nd hand performance car with way better than average performance.
c) There are way way way more cars on the road now than even 10 years ago.
d) Most people will agree that licencing laws/ driver training have not kept up with technology, hence the above.
e) Todays "freedom of the right to do anything and everything I want" and our litigious friends who blame everyone else but themselves, have helped some of todays youth to have a very lax attitude towards their duty-of-care to the rest of society.

My view anyway....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 29-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #95
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it all doesnt matter. he can drive his v8 from 9-5. he has proven to be responisble and people should get over it. it doesnt matter that when the oldies got their license all they had to do was a few hours and go for a drive (bribe someone). it is alot harder to get your license now and we are still seeing accidents happen. restricting us to little eco boxes has saved no one and its just been a total flop.

thank you to all the people who can see common sence in that it doesnt matter what car you drive. if your going to crash. you are going to crash. end of story. he beat the system and he has a good looking car to show for it.
Old 29-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #96
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How the hell is this topic on its second thread and still going?!

Wheres the "I dont give a *****" option on the poll?
Old 29-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #97
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
How the hell is this topic on its second thread and still going?!

Wheres the "I dont give a *****" option on the poll?
There is only one thread on this topic as far as I was aware, and there is no need for a DGAF option on a poll - as the DGAF option is selected when such a person decides NOT TO OPEN OR POST IN A THREAD THEY DGAF ABOUT!

: Cobra :
Old 29-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #98
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
A new astra coupe is still probally worth more than alot of import car's like the 18osx or sykline's.
From memory it was 24k (runout) drive away.
At the end of the day, I felt it a much better long term prospect than a 8 or 10 yr old car with questionable reliability and lots less safety features than what new offer.. (Especially for a young female driver).
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 29-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #99
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
From memory it was 24k (runout) drive away.
At the end of the day, I felt it a much better long term prospect than a 8 or 10 yr old car with questionable reliability and lots less safety features than what new offer.. (Especially for a young female driver).
Sorry mate i was aiming that at you, was aimed at the guy who said it's alright for you to buy a new astra for your daughter but it's not for a parent to buy their kid a skyline or somethning they might deem as nice.

ALthough it does **** me that i bought and paid for all of my car's yet my sister's hav had there car's bought by my father for them and haven't paid back a cent, it's always the girls that get babied.
Old 29-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #100
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
No no no.

Thats not what I meant, and you know it. If I had a daughter and the means I would do exactly the same thing.

Its the parents that fund skylines etc etc for their P plater kids that I dont understand.
I appologise for that lil aout burst most profoundly then but no, I didnt know thats what you meant. Just thought you were backing up what I FLUXX I was saying which was a bit of a wierd and jealous statement. I am sure all (Most) would like to help there kids out as much as possible when its time. I am going trhough it at the moment. You think my son wants a faster car than the ZJ 250????? :yeees: You think he is getting one while on P's ?????

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 29-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #101
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Although it does **** me that i bought and paid for all of my car's yet my sister's have had there car's bought by my father for them and haven't paid back a cent, it's always the girls that get babied.
I agree. Kind of.
I was "given" my first car (1979 XD Ghia), which cost my Dad about $750, and then whatever parts and paint and stuff we used to tickle it up a bit.
But when I wanted the BA, I had to work, and earn my own cash to pay for it. It took me 5 years, but I did it.
It was the best feeling driving it out of the yard.

My friends on the other hand all had their cars supplied by their parents.
One even wrote off the 18month old car her parents first bought for her and her sister (and nearly killed herself, when she ploughed it into the house behind hers while parking it).
So of course the logical thing for her parents to do was buy them a brand new one to replace it.

Then they had the nerve to have a go at me because I was proud that I'd paid for my own car in cash, and I spent my weekends polishing and vacuuming it.
They told me I was the spoilt brat!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 29-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #102
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

as an 18 year old P plater i probably dont have the safest selection of cars:

CM valiant 265 hemi
SA 13B RX7 with extractors and a few other mods
'66 v8 plymouth fury

but...ive never even come close to crashing any of my cars, once in a while i might do something a bit stupid just to get it out of my system but apart from that i reckon owning reasonably powerful cars doesnt cause me to be reckless.
Old 29-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #103
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
it all doesnt matter. he can drive his v8 from 9-5. he has proven to be responisble and people should get over it. it doesnt matter that when the oldies got their license all they had to do was a few hours and go for a drive (bribe someone). it is alot harder to get your license now and we are still seeing accidents happen. restricting us to little eco boxes has saved no one and its just been a total flop.

thank you to all the people who can see common sence in that it doesnt matter what car you drive. if your going to crash. you are going to crash. end of story. he beat the system and he has a good looking car to show for it.
Unfortunately the group most represented in all accidents (not just fatalities) are from the age group most likely to be P-platers, and 4 out of 5 fatalities are male from this group (in the middle of a course now). Politicians love to chase headlines, so they "fix" the "headline" symptoms instead of curing the total problem. Your mates legal and sounds like a reasonable sort of fella.
My point of view? Advanced driving courses must be mandatory and all inexperienced drivers (including motorcyclists) must be covered be a "power to weight" ratio. The ratio must be set at a reasonable level though so everyone has access to the average family sedan at least.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 29-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #104
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

OK Ford Boy Ive said it a few times and obviously its not clear.

You cannot make laws for every individual, think of other people other than yourself and your scaifey friend. No one cares how well he can drive, laws are made for the masses.

If you dont like it, move state, if thats not good enough move country.

Auslandau, no worries mate, I wasn't completely clear.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #105
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK Ford Boy Ive said it a few times and obviously its not clear.

You cannot make laws for every individual, think of other people other than yourself and your scaifey friend. No one cares how well he can drive, laws are made for the masses.

If you dont like it, move state, if thats not good enough move country.

Auslandau, no worries mate, I wasn't completely clear.

i got no problem with laws and i understand what you are saying now but in your previous posts you made it out like the guy was just some tosser trying to find a loop hole like he was a con artist.

he only bought the car from his dad because he thought it was a shame that his dad would just give it away to a complete stranger cheaply. he only drives it from 9 - 5 which he usually working so he never drives it. if he goes out its in his mates cars.you didnt have to catergorise him as a hoon.

yes i agree they make lawas for the mases but it has not solved any problems and deaths have increased. why doesnt the government stop and try a different game plan? because the current one has shown no results.

P.s very sorry for the poor gramma and punctuation. i am very tired lol
Old 29-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #106
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
i got no problem with laws and i understand what you are saying now but in your previous posts you made it out like the guy was just some tosser trying to find a loop hole like he was a con artist.

he only bought the car from his dad because he thought it was a shame that his dad would just give it away to a complete stranger cheaply. he only drives it from 9 - 5 which he usually working so he never drives it. if he goes out its in his mates cars.you didnt have to catergorise him as a hoon.

yes i agree they make lawas for the mases but it has not solved any problems and deaths have increased. why doesnt the government stop and try a different game plan? because the current one has shown no results.
Mate no offense, but I dont care about him as much as you do. I dont know the history of this issue (what is it again?), the reasons he brought it mean nothing as well.

Has he broken the law by owning it? If not then who cares. If he has then bugger him, he knew the rules and he broke them. Didn't you say he got some exemption? If so then again, whoop di do, good on him.

The government is not going to do much because to do it properly is going to cost millions. A restructuring of a system that has been in place for years is not a cheap or easy exercise, I agree thats not a good reason but thats pretty much it.

Until then, look forward to more "unfair" bandaid fixes, some will work, some wont, but its better than not doing anything at all.

Bloody young V8 hoon :gren: :evil_laug
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #107
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate no offense, but I dont care about him as much as you do. I dont know the history of this issue (what is it again?), the reasons he brought it mean nothing as well.

Has he broken the law by owning it? If not then who cares. If he has then bugger him, he knew the rules and he broke them. Didn't you say he got some exemption? If so then again, whoop di do, good on him.

The government is not going to do much because to do it properly is going to cost millions. A restructuring of a system that has been in place for years is not a cheap or easy exercise, I agree thats not a good reason but thats pretty much it.

Until then, look forward to more "unfair" bandaid fixes, some will work, some wont, but its better than not doing anything at all.

Bloody young V8 hoon :gren: :evil_laug

fair enough. i'll just have to get whatever car i can afford and wait till i can drive an 8. the only good thing i can think of is by the time i have my full license i can get a ba xr8 fairly cheap. cheers mate and i appriciate your thoughts on the matter.
Old 29-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #108
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I agree. Kind of.
I was "given" my first car (1979 XD Ghia), which cost my Dad about $750, and then whatever parts and paint and stuff we used to tickle it up a bit.
But when I wanted the BA, I had to work, and earn my own cash to pay for it. It took me 5 years, but I did it.
It was the best feeling driving it out of the yard.

My friends on the other hand all had their cars supplied by their parents.
One even wrote off the 18month old car her parents first bought for her and her sister (and nearly killed herself, when she ploughed it into the house behind hers while parking it).
So of course the logical thing for her parents to do was buy them a brand new one to replace it.

Then they had the nerve to have a go at me because I was proud that I'd paid for my own car in cash, and I spent my weekends polishing and vacuuming it.
They told me I was the spoilt brat!!
A $75o car is a completely different story, alot of people i know get given their first car which i have no problem with. Hell i'll be giving my kid something nice if i can afford to.

My older sister got a old pulsar that cost $8,ooo and trashed it, blew the engine up once because it had no water and it cooked. Then she get's given a 6 month old bettle.

Shortly after my little sister get's her P's and gets a brand new 2 door lancer, she sold it the other week and now they are buying her a o5 Rav4.
Old 29-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #109
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
fair enough. i'll just have to get whatever car i can afford and wait till i can drive an 8. the only good thing i can think of is by the time i have my full license i can get a ba xr8 fairly cheap. cheers mate and i appriciate your thoughts on the matter.
See and thats a bonus of it all.

I dont know about you, but when I first got my license I had next to stuff all money.

I brought my EA (dont laugh, it wasn't your average), and it was on gas. Saved me a fortune on fuel so I could spend it on beer while I was at uni...LOL

There are so many other things that are better than cars to spend your cash on when you are young, well thats my opinion anyway.

Some people seem to save alot of money and gets some nice cars when they are really young, which is cool no doubt, but what have they done? Slaved away for years, you have the rest of your life for that.

Im sounding like a Grandpa..LOL..im only 24, I love my car, and spend most of my spare cash on it, but there are other things out there that are worth doing. Like going on holidays to other places, or just stuffing around with your mates.

Now that I have taken it completely off topic I should stop...LOL :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #110
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

probably in a parents name, that would allow him to claim with a stat dec that its the only car he has access too. A bull**** loophole that makes the rule redundant. It should be about power to weight ratios in any case not the power plant
Old 29-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #111
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has any one thought that maybe the kid just likes that particular car, and it's not always about the power (and lets face it V8 VT's aren't much quicker than the V6's at all) maybe he just likes cruising aroud with the V8 rumble, i certainly do, i got a 253 HQ that couldn't pull the fluff off of a cappuchino (0-100 in 13-14 seconds), but i don't care, it one of the toughest sounding beasts around and no matter what mood i'm in, when i drive it, it puts the biggest smile on my face.
Old 29-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #112
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
There is only one thread on this topic as far as I was aware, and there is no need for a DGAF option on a poll - as the DGAF option is selected when such a person decides NOT TO OPEN OR POST IN A THREAD THEY DGAF ABOUT!
Ummmm...........see post one. This IS the second thread on the exact same topic.......

Quote:
well some of yous may have read the thread about the p plater i know who bought a vt ss with clubsport bodykit and was driving it around even though p platers cant drive v8s or turbos. i did a poll about it being a waste of money. the majority said yes.
Were you as involved when this subject was posted about the first time round? Or only now?

So many other threads get canned due to 'quality of posts' ruling. This one gets two bites of the cherry for what? What is there to debate here? That this guy did or didnt waste his money or did or didnt rort the system?

Pure quality.

And yeh - if you are gonna start a poll - do include the DGAF option so you can truely evaluate EVERYONES opinions!!!!
Old 30-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #113
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Ummmm........... This one gets two bites of the cherry for what?

Laminge is full!
Closed Thread