Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
StuNVA
Starter Motor

Default Rtv Xr8

I have a BA XR8 ute, I need an RTV ute, I need the hieght for dirt roads basically, but don't want to give up the engine in the XR8. Has anyone used RTV type suspension to lift their XR8.

StuNVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I haven't seen one...yet.
Honestly don't know if it could be done to an XR8 Ute or not.
If it was me, I'd just go and buy a 3v V8 RTV. Just watch the fuel economy, it can be non existant in some RTV's.
It wouldn't have the power of the Boss 260, but the 3v's can still get up and go.
One of the site sponsors had a 3v XT a while back. It ran 12.71 @ 109.41 on the quarter.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=77178

Cheers

Darran
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh go the RTV, or just keep the XR8 and put 16 inch Alloys on it with better tyres, you wont need the ground clearance if the roads are pretty good but you'll need bigger profile tyres otherwise ull have issues.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the back on the BA XR8’s Ute still a solid axle with leaf springs?

If it is, the rear is a piece of cake, get some custom 3-inch rased leaf packs made ($600-$1000), the biggest issue you may face is tail shaft angles and or length, but this can be overcome if needed, you may also need to extend brake lines and fit new shocks and sway bar set up.

The front is the tricky bit; this is where you need a RTV and the XR8 up on a hoist to check out the front suspension set up and see what is the best way to go about doing it> It may just be a simple parts swap but I am unsure to be honest.

Oh one other thing, any Car lifted more than 2-inch need’s to parse a emergency lain change test (In WA anyway) to stay legal, You Ute would parse it with ease but it’s just something else to consider.

I don’t see you getting it done for anything less than $5000 and that's if you are lucky. This can easily blow out to allot morer verry easy.

I would say it can be done, but do your research first, Suspension shop’s, 4WD suspension workshops could help and talk to a Auto engineer as well.

Cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
DougM

Doesn't the rtv also have a locking diff?? That's a huge benefit on slippery surfaces....
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM
Doesn't the rtv also have a locking diff?? That's a huge benefit on slippery surfaces....
It sure does
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I'm 99% sure it'll all bolt up.

PARTS LIST just select BA for model and type RTV into description and click search.

DO IT!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

RTV diff and all electronics associated with it is something in the vicinity of $5,000 in parts alone.

Best bet would be to get a V8 RTV ... I think it's the 230kW 3-valve triton 5.4L V8.
Good strong motor ... ask Craig@ACE about them ... he makes them quick.
Also others on the forum will attest to this as well ... also the 3-valve V8 is much better for towing heavy loads over the XR8 (which is much peakier).

That would be your best bet ... as for looks ... I am sure you could put an XR kit on an RTV
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry about swapping the diff, an LSD is better when you don't need a locked diff (most of the time). Just go the RTV suspension on the front & the leaf spring mount.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
RTV diff and all electronics associated with it is something in the vicinity of $5,000 in parts alone.

Best bet would be to get a V8 RTV ... I think it's the 230kW 3-valve triton 5.4L V8.
Good strong motor ... ask Craig@ACE about them ... he makes them quick.
Also others on the forum will attest to this as well ... also the 3-valve V8 is much better for towing heavy loads over the XR8 (which is much peakier).

That would be your best bet ... as for looks ... I am sure you could put an XR kit on an RTV
Utes still carry the 220 5.4 that was the original BA V8.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Diff loc in the RTV is probably a Eaton E-locker around US$800

Don’t know why Ford made it so you couldn’t keep it locked at speed thou.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
The Diff loc in the RTV is probably a Eaton E-locker around US$800

Don’t know why Ford made it so you couldn’t keep it locked at speed thou.
Because idiots would keep it locked on the highway and wear tyres/over stress the diff.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
bencat

theres an XT ute near me that sits quite high, same height as the rtv, was a standard ute one day, and hi ride the same after noon, so can't be hard...
bencat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
StuNVA
Starter Motor

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for the pointers guys, I'll keep you all posted. Being located in NW NSW doesn't make some of these things as easy as they should be either.
StuNVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

is the eaton e locer able to be fitted fo an AU diff?
Old 14-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The RTV diff is the M86 diff, an AU would have an M78
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post