Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Duty free

I'm after info regarding duty free. What I want to know is can I purchase some alcohol from a duty free store at the airport, then just give it to the person dropping me off? Or must I take it with me?

AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

If buying at the airport, Duty free is only available after you pass immigration. The people dropping you off cannot go past immigration so you will not be able to pass anything to them. Also with buying duty free, you must leave the country with the products. You can bring it back in if it falls within the allowance which I believe is 2L per person.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's cheaper to buy stuff in a regular store when it's on special, eg: Liqourland. Airport duty free shops are a RIP, especially for cameras etc. You can buy in a regular store (on sale) and get the GST refunded anyway.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
If buying at the airport, Duty free is only available after you pass immigration. The people dropping you off cannot go past immigration so you will not be able to pass anything to them. Also with buying duty free, you must leave the country with the products. You can bring it back in if it falls within the allowance which I believe is 2L per person.
At Melbourne airport downtown dutyfree have a store before you enter immigration.
Old 24-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
kempster1

http://www.dutyfree.com.au/default.t...77453003&pg=17
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
It's cheaper to buy stuff in a regular store when it's on special, eg: Liqourland. Airport duty free shops are a RIP, especially for cameras etc. You can buy in a regular store (on sale) and get the GST refunded anyway.
I'm not buying a camera, you can pickup a 1.75L bottle of beam for $39.99!
Old 24-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not on Alcohol, You can't get 1125 Ml of Bundy at liqourland for 30 Dollars. Be aware that if your flight stops over and you need to get off the plane you may not be allowed to take your liquids back on.
If you are going to the US you may find that alcohol is cheaper there than at the duty free shops at home but you will have to pack it in your checked luggage at the mercy of the baggage manglers.

I agree with XCGXL on the cameras and other goods though......
Have a look at http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4224
and http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s.../LAG/duty.aspx
for the restrictions on liquids taken on board.
Regards,
Tote
Old 24-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
kempster1

If your buying a camera and other items, remember you can buy it prior to departure and claim tax back when going through the internation departure area
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...bcontent32.htm
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What a load of sh@t! duty free is heaps cheaper than regular bottle shops and tobacco as well. 2 litres of absolut vodka $47, 1125 bundy $29,2 ltrs black label jim beam $59, jim beam 2 1125m $47. I always pick up 2 bottles coming through. But wouldnt buy cameras from there.
Old 25-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
At Melbourne airport downtown dutyfree have a store before you enter immigration.
Which allows you to either a) pick up the item after you pass customs or b) sell the item to you at full price including gst and beer/wine/spirits tax.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Which allows you to either a) pick up the item after you pass customs or b) sell the item to you at full price including gst and beer/wine/spirits tax.
So then I wouldn't be able purchase dutyfree at this store before I leave?
Old 25-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be carefull. There are a lot of customs rules that the duty free shops just "forget" to tell you.

1) grog and smokes are ALWAYS cheaper, this is the hook. Buy as much as you are allowed but don't be silly and buy $100 bottles of Scotch if you font drink Scotch. It is money wasted, not saved.
2) Most electronic gear is actually dearer than it is in Harvey Norman etc.

If you buy something duty free in Australia and you are going on a holiday you will probably be bringing it back with you. You WILL pay excise and GST on this on return. If you do not declare it and are rolled you will get fined, probably have to surrender it but most importantly will get a "black mark". This means you will get to spend a lot of time in the red line every time you enter Australia. The gotcha is that once you are airside you are stuck. If you want a gizmo you have to buy ot there or when you get back. The other advantage is if you buy from a domestic shop and it breaks you have more people to yell at.

How will they know that the super nifty gizmo is not second had or you have owned if for years? Well you are aware that computers can be used for other things besides games and logging on to AFF aren't you.
When you buy over the $800 limit you passport is tagged and when you re-enter depending on how busy they are you will get asked about the equipment you bought.

If you wish to travel a bit do NOT risk getting on the "balck" list, it will take all the fun out of it.

If you are not sure of any of this ring Customs. They are easy to deal with and will supply any advice in writing if you need it.

P.S. I found all this out the HARD way. I was lied to buy a duty free shop. I was lucky because I had to declare something else. If I had gone green I would have got rolled.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
So then I wouldn't be able purchase dutyfree at this store before I leave?
You can but you have to take it with you out of the country.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 25-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Customs Information Centre: 1300 363 263 Mon-Fri 0830-1700

If you purchase grog at the airport be aware you will have to pack it into your luggage to go in the hold of the plane. You can't carry it on board with you in cabin luggage due to the new reg's relating to liquids; nothing in a container that carries more than 100mls.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can but you have to take it with you out of the country.
How do they ensure that I take it out of the country?
I'm not looking at cheating the system, I just don't want any hassles because I was ignorant.
Thanks Flappist, I think I will just call customs, cheers.
Old 25-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Duty Free" stores should be made to change their names. There is next to no duty on goods these days, so how can anything be duty free? The only thing you save is excise on grog and GST (10%) and how many Australian retailers sell anything at full retail? The answer is NONE.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
How do they ensure that I take it out of the country?
I'm not looking at cheating the system, I just don't want any hassles because I was ignorant.
Thanks Flappist, I think I will just call customs, cheers.
Theres paperwork that will be associated with your passport and ticket. This paperwork is collected when you pass immigration.

Old 25-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, buy the grog overseas. Bought a 700mL bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue label for $150 in Kuala Lumpur. Retails for $300 here in Australia.
Old 25-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Theres paperwork that will be associated with your passport and ticket. This paperwork is collected when you pass immigration.
Thanks for the help.
Old 25-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #20
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

No worries mate. Just remember though. If you go past your allowance, you will have to pay tax on the WHOLE value of the product(s). Not just the amount that you're over.

eg. If your allowance is $800, and your brand spankin new PS3 is worth $1000, you will pay tax on the $1000 not the $200 that you're over.

Old 25-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you buy anything duty free from the store before you pass through immigration, they hold on to item and send it through to collections. So you can buy it outside, but they won't give it to you until your through.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #22
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are many different tariff's etc that are making it pointless in buying things "duty free." there is a limit on alcohol. but the thing is, its rated by how much proof (%) it is. so if you buy 1250ml of Jack, which may be 50% (just hypothetical) proof, then your only bringing in 625ml of alcohol. This falls under the alcohol excise act. Smokes have a similar thing, where there is a limit. the limit for personal value i beleive is actually $1000 now, not $800, atleast that's what it says in my text books.

Now, buying duty free at an airport is a plain rip-off. you may see a saving of $10-20, but if you go to a duty free shop outside the airport (just take your ticket with you), you'll find that because less people shop there, the prices are lower.

Different countries pay different taxes on different items, just work out which ones offer the products you want for cheaper and try and stop over for a bit there.

hope this helps
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

Quote:
I'm not buying a camera, you can pickup a 1.75L bottle of beam for $39.99!

When we went to USA last year we were able to buy 4 or 4.5 ltr (combined the limit of alcohol for wife and myself) of Jim Beam on a cradle (as a present for my brother who was housesitting for 5 weeks whilst we went away). We paid for it before we left (duty free shop in public area at airport) and picked it up in the duty free shop before coming back through customs when we landed back at Melbourne. Didnt have to lug it around for 5 weeks whilst travelling and the best thing was that only cost $130.00
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTIV8
When we went to USA last year we were able to buy 4 or 4.5 ltr (combined the limit of alcohol for wife and myself) of Jim Beam on a cradle (as a present for my brother who was housesitting for 5 weeks whilst we went away). We paid for it before we left (duty free shop in public area at airport) and picked it up in the duty free shop before coming back through customs when we landed back at Melbourne. Didnt have to lug it around for 5 weeks whilst travelling and the best thing was that only cost $130.00
That sounds like a better plan for me, thanks.
Old 26-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #25
GT-E

I just got back from Fiji and MOTIV8 is right.
I bought 2 x 1150ml Jim Beames, 1 1lt Vodka, 1 x Gin and 2 cartons of smokes + 1 bottle of black label Jack Daniels.
I took the JD with me for consumption (could have had more if I wanted) on the holidays and the rest was kept by downtown duty free to be collected when we got back.

Not all Duty Free places do this though.

They had the details of our return flight and all the stuff was bagged and ready to collect just before Customs.

It was a piece of cake and it was ALOT cheaper than the stores. I paid $30 for the 1150ml JB's, and $50 for a carton of smokes ($30 cheaper apparently).
Old 26-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #26
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8
MOTIV8
Quote:
That sounds like a better plan for me, thanks.

Bingo... the best part is that you don;t clog up the suitcase with this so it leaves plenty more room for valuable shopping space! (in my case we went with 1 case each and came back with 2 each.....) :

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post