Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Donk

Default Which AU to buy?

I've got it down to 3 at the moment, a 73000K futura series 3 with full kit and 17inch alloys, a series 1 XR6VCT 110000k's excellent condition and a series 2 XR6 on gas with 125000K. I know my personal opinion is only one that will count in end I was just looking for input from blokes who have owned similiar models and the shortfalls of each eg series 1 brakes etc. Any opinions will be appreciated the futura is the cheapest but all within 1G of each other.

Donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hard decision indeed ... have you driven all of them????
conditioon of vehicles.
How well does the Series II XR6 run on LPG????

The Futura does sound good with the low kays though.

Yes series 1s had smaller brakes on them.

I guess in the end .. it comes down to how each vehicle feels when driving it the way you intend to.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

Id go for the Series 1 XR6 VCT.. especially if its only got 110,000k's.... thats not even run in yet lol.. and low for the age of the vehical. Plus its an XR :P
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Donk

Nah mate havent driven any of them yet, I'm in Wagga and they are in Melbourne, I'll be going down with the cash in hand to do a deal on one in the next couple of weeks. By the way is the rebel body kit just the rear spoiler and skirts, if I buy an XR I intend to put one on and I cant see any difference between the series 2 and 3 front with the rebel kit or without it, have I missed something or not. This is just going to be the family run around so performance isnt a huge issue, reliability, looks and I'll do something about a bit of noise too. While I'm here I looked up the claimed figures for XR6 and XR6VCT, supposedly same fuel consumption yet I've noticed some comments regarding VCT's being as thirsty as an 8, is this true or is it just way they are driven by some, thanks fellas.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
stiddy
Banned

Depends how they are driven. Like with most 6's, can get them as high as 22L to the 100 or down to 7L to the 100.
There is no difference reguarding the kit, was a change from S1 to S2.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Donk

Thanks mate, so the rebel front is exactly the same as a normal series 2 front?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rebel kit has Rear bar (with grill and bottom silver strip), Side skirt (with rear silver strip) and the Front bar is the same as the normal XR but with the pods (two extension type things bolted onto either side of the bar). And of course the standard decklid spoiler.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Donk

Thanks mate, I've seen the pods listed at fibresports but couldnt work out exactly waht they were, I'll have a closer look.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

All things being equal if it was my money I'd lean towards the S2 XR6 with gas. The running costs will be so much cheaper especially considering petrol is on it's way up again...... say hello to $1.50 p/l in the not too distant future the way things look.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

The Futura for sure.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'd be going either the Futura or the S2 XR6 - would ultimately depend on price and condition though!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

series 1 had smaller brakes i think, it would be the futura or the seris 2 xr6 on gas for me leaning more towards the gas xr6:Reverend: good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
Donk

Thanks, whatever I get if it is not on gas it will be as soon as possible, I'm closer to the XR series 11 because it'salready on gas and the lure of the Tickford badge but my brain says K's on the futura and whack it on gas is best option. Go down drive em both and then get the winner tested looks like the go.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

remember once you get the rebate gas only works out to be under $500 so with the kays on the futura i would take that.

Jake
Old 02-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

get one of the xr's for sure. I wouldnt even consider the futura. XR's seem to get up off the line alot smoother and easier due to a bit more power and better diff ratio. The standard falcons seem to be a bit lazy off the line making the car feel heavy and very lagy, when on lpg i could only imagine this getting worse and you will be alomst at full throtle everytime u wanna take off.
The xr's will look better, hold their value more, run better, have a bit more power and bonus of lsd and the k's in this situation are no issue at all as u can have over 300k's on a ford and it will still drive 100% if its well maintained
xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

AUI XR6 VCT

On a day to day basis, the brakes on the AUI's do ok, but there are upgrades for better pads and rotors. The VCT can get a little on the thirsty side because of the added weight of the IRS. Still a great driver's car nontheless with excellent mileage for it's age and a little bit of 100+ years of motoring heritage behind it.

AUII XR6

Great car, highly recommend this one as you get that little bit of heritage and the nice warm charcoal interior. Whether it has LSD or not depends on the build date. If it's a Late Edition (May '01 build onwards with colour coded side mirrors) chances are it might not have one. On petrol alone they are normally pretty good for what they are.

Series II XR on the left, Series III XR on the right, both featuring "Rebel Kit".

AUIII Futura

AUIII Futura still a good car in it's own right, by Series III they just about had zero recalls. With the C2R kit you'll have a something a little differentiation from most.

Overall

Having said all that, test drive all of them.

Make sure the recalls have been done on both the XR's (Feild Campaign stickers on inside of driver's door).
Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The XR's will have IRS, unless they are the HP engine (non VCT) but the one on gas has the VCT engine and therefore will have the IRS. From a practical viewpoint in the handling department, that'd be the one I'd go for.

The Futura is a good logical (read head) choice, because of the low kays, but the S2 gassed XR will have 17's also, plus the awesome twin headlights, better brakes than the S1 and the sports dash.

No brainer for me.

S2 XR on gas. The kays are nothing.

All the best with your decision.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post