Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Default Ford to sell Jaguar, Land Rover

Well they have gone and done it now...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...414275348.html

Quote:
Ford considers Jaguar, Land Rover sale: report

Ford Motor has given Goldman Sachs Group Inc, Morgan Stanley and HSBC Holdings plc a mandate to sell Jaguar and Land Rover, its two British luxury brands, the Financial Times reported in its electronic edition.

The planned sale does not include Volvo, Ford's third premium marque, and is said to be in its early stages, the report said.

The news follows persistent speculation that Ford, which sold the Aston Martin sports car marque to a Kuwaiti-led consortium in March, might look to unload the two brands as part of its drive to create a more streamlined and competitive volume car business.

The US company, which reported a record loss of $US12.7 billion ($15.1 billion) last year, is in the midst of its "Way Forward" restructuring plan, aimed at restoring its competitiveness and returning its core North American operation to profitability in 2009.

Ford may have an easier time selling its two British brands to private equity investors than a rival carmaker, the report said.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

as long as they leep making fords im happy!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jaguar was just sucking money out of Ford, it was continually making massive losses and to be honest I am glad they rid of it;. Pity they sold Aston though, was making money. As long as they keep Volvo i am happy (rumours had it it was for sale but Ford and Volvo denied it).
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didnt Ford buy land rover because they didnt want some other mob ruining the name or something???

i stopped caring after they sold aston martin.....hope it pays out for ford

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
Jaguar was just sucking money out of Ford, it was continually making massive losses and to be honest I am glad they rid of it;. Pity they sold Aston though, was making money. As long as they keep Volvo i am happy (rumours had it it was for sale but Ford and Volvo denied it).
Yeah cause they dont use JAG R&D on their other models.....
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Pretty vague story, doesn't really confirm it or not. Maybe just selling a percentage of it and keeping a portion, like they did with Aston Martin. I think they still kept 15% to keep their finger in the pie.

With the recent sway away from SUV's due to oil prices and global warming concerns maybe its a good time to get out of Land Rover.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
With the recent sway away from SUV's due to oil prices and global warming concerns maybe its a good time to get out of Land Rover.
Not to mention between them and Jag they were the two most unreliable makes ever,yes even more so than Trabant and Lada
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

As long as they keep Volvo its all good.
Old 13-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

This new guy Alan Mulally running Ford In america that was at boeing is really switched on and i think he is right. Ford is big enough to survive with just itself Volvo and maybe 1 more. The most important part of Ford is Ford and thats what they are concentrating on. I think this is the road to recovery and they are in intentsive care and will be moved to the general ward soon. Also the sale of these will generate money to keep them moving forward with new models to respark interest in america.
Old 13-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Hopefully Ford is building a war chest and not just making a quick buck.

Ford desperately needs the money to invest in new cars and engines.

The big three in America are still paying for sitting on their asses during the 80's while Japan went crazy.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
bob^
LPS

The bloke in charge isn't scared of selling things off, or closing down factories outside and in the US. I just hope Ford Australia doesn't fall victim to him...
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
The bloke in charge isn't scared of selling things off, or closing down factories outside and in the US. I just hope Ford Australia doesn't fall victim to him...
They are trying to figure how to leverage the Falcon platform outside Australia. One of the big wigs from Detroit is touring the facilities down here next week, trying to find a place for the Falcon and possibly the Territory overseas, wether that be exports or platform sharing. They don't want to waste the valuable resources we have down here. Also with 1.8 billion dollars being invested here they need to get that investment back.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I know for a fact that ford USA are very interested in the new FPV territory that will hit our dealers in a couple of months, a hero model that appears frugal is just what they need. 270kw and 550Nm for a territory; bye bye daewoo/chev/holden craptiva.
A mate that used to fly passengers with me now works at Atlas air cargo and actually took a total of 12 vehicles over to LAX including the one in the orion pictures in the USA. The steel thing you see it on is for loading on the power loaders and in the AC. Didn't look at it (covered up), but they had to pick it up in Melb with a whole bunch of other covered up cars on pallets bound for ford USA in Detroit. At the time he thought they were American cars tested here. Ahh, the wisdom of hindsight.

Quote: