Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #91
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

See my sig (green text)

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 15-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #92
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
How true!!.... 30 years ago the 1st thing that went in the car was the esky.. And who remembers driving miles to country pubs on a Sunday when all the city pubs were shut (pre 7 day a week trading), drinking all day, then driving home?

:baby bott
Ah the good old days......
But we never went fast and there were bugger all cars on the road because it was hard to get a car loan so you had to have a job and a large deposit to buy a car......

Far too dangerous to do it now, unless of course you are in the middle of the desert
Old 15-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #93
gozza

yeah i was talking about speeding with my dad last night and what speeds hes reached(after this thread lol) and he said his cars couldn't never go much past 140....and hed need to have a few drinks to get the courage lol
Old 15-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #94
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

"The good old days"?????

Those would be the good old days that ruined it for everyone else who was born post 1975... ???

Quote:
How true!!.... 30 years ago the 1st thing that went in the car was the esky.. And who remembers driving miles to country pubs on a Sunday when all the city pubs were shut (pre 7 day a week trading), drinking all day, then driving home?
Old 15-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #95
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
"The good old days"?????

Those would be the good old days that ruined it for everyone else who was born post 1975... ???
Yep and what I am trying to say is lets not let US ruin for those born post 2005.

In the 1960s a dangerous chemical weapon was unleashed on an unsuspecting human race.
The contraceptive pill.
Finally women could control their reproduction (well to a certain extent). All they had to do is remember to take it and follow the instructions.
The problem is that intelligent women had no problem and had 2.4 children and raised them in a nurturing and loving environment teaching them right from wrong.
Stupid women got it all wrong and had 7.3 children to 8.4 fathers and let them run amok.
Stupidity is hereditry. I wonder if this is why there appears to be far more stupid people who do stupid things without concidering the consequences around now.....

/just a thought
Old 15-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #96
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
"The good old days"?????

I am NOT saying it was the "correct" thing to do... It was simply the way it was.
There wasn't the stigma about having 6 or 8 pots then driving that there is now. In fact it was the norm... The first point of call on the way home from work was the pub back then.
It was the days when a cop would take your keys of you & make you walk home if he thought you'd had too much.
Anyhow, back on topic..
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 15-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #97
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool

:baby bott
And the record road toll in 1970 that included the aunt I never knew. My dad has been devastated ever since because he was driving the car. My mum was almost killed as well.
Old 15-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #98
TUF514
Banned

same place i got done doing 148 kph.

it was at 2:40 am on a tuesday morning.

still nursing my desqualification :(

they hid up the on ramp and couldnt see them.
Old 15-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #99
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
same place i got done doing 148 kph.

it was at 2:40 am on a tuesday morning.

still nursing my desqualification :(

they hid up the on ramp and couldnt see them.
Interesting.....

That they sit there a lot at that time tends to imply that there is a LOT of going fast happening at that time of night. There are not a lot of coppers on that shift so they would not be there if it was not a "killing field"
Old 16-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #100
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep and what I am trying to say is lets not let US ruin for those born post 2005.

In the 1960s a dangerous chemical weapon was unleashed on an unsuspecting human race.
The contraceptive pill.
Finally women could control their reproduction (well to a certain extent). All they had to do is remember to take it and follow the instructions.
The problem is that intelligent women had no problem and had 2.4 children and raised them in a nurturing and loving environment teaching them right from wrong.
Stupid women got it all wrong and had 7.3 children to 8.4 fathers and let them run amok.
Stupidity is hereditry. I wonder if this is why there appears to be far more stupid people who do stupid things without concidering the consequences around now.....

/just a thought
Slightly off the topic but that is so true!

By the way , is it any wonder Australia is losing its Aussie identity?
Old 16-12-2006, 02:31 AM   #101
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lolz at being on learners at 20 years of age!
Old 16-12-2006, 03:28 AM   #102
havoc19
Banned

i gotta say this is about the biggest load of **** ive ever read in a post on these forums
Old 16-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #103
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc19
i gotta say this is about the biggest load of **** ive ever read in a post on these forums
I Agree
"Put's HEAVY DUTY flame suit on .........." (maybe because it's late & I'm tired)

I hope NONE of you guys drive out my way , I've got 2 teenage daughters driving . I hope I've taught them to be responsible when driving (you always hear about it in a small town) but I'd NEVER want you on the road near them .

I wonder why they are cracking down on speed when you guy's "openly admit" to doing those speeds , then complain when you get busted ? I'm no angel , got to 75MPH when about 19 in a 60 MPH zone , nearly sh1t myself in case I got caught . Had all the latest safety gear on the car at the time . Ok . I'm an old Phart. Yep been busted twice 69 in 60 zone / 92 in 80 zone .

Speeding in daytime didn't save one of my mates life , he turned LEFT out of his farm onto a main road ( AU Falcon) & got "wiped out" by a guy (EL Falcon)who said "but the (wide) road was clear and safe to do 180k's from the other direction , he was 3ft on the right side of the road "because it was clear" (he got 2 broken fingers from the steering wheel) . 1 Dead = 2 broken fingers don't add up !

I'd like to know how many of you guy's have had a prang (not your fault) doing LESS than 100k's , got out of your car , run up to the other car to see if the other guy was Ok , Mmm , Blood pouring from the side of his head (skull crushed), bleeding from his eyes , ears , nose & mouth . He made a mistake & turned in front of me at approx 20k's , 32 years later & I still CAN't forget it .

I hope you guys are "Immortal" I don't care if you're 17 or 77 , It CAN happen to you .

Wanna drive fast , join a club and do it on a racetrack . I did .

( I've had 16 Friends & Relo's killed in car accidents , 20 y/o daughter had 12 friends killed in 12 months , I don't like the stats on that )

THINK ABOUT IT ,,,,,,,,,,,,Laws are made for the lowest common denominator either car or driver .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 16-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #104
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
I Agree
"Put's HEAVY DUTY flame suit on .........." (maybe because it's late & I'm tired)

I hope NONE of you guys drive out my way , I've got 2 teenage daughters driving . I hope I've taught them to be responsible when driving (you always hear about it in a small town) but I'd NEVER want you on the road near them .

I wonder why they are cracking down on speed when you guy's "openly admit" to doing those speeds , then complain when you get busted ? I'm no angel , got to 75MPH when about 19 in a 60 MPH zone , nearly **** myself in case I got caught . Had all the latest safety gear on the car at the time . Ok . I'm an old Phart. Yep been busted twice 69 in 60 zone / 92 in 80 zone .

Speeding in daytime didn't save one of my mates life , he turned LEFT out of his farm onto a main road ( AU Falcon) & got "wiped out" by a guy (EL Falcon)who said "but the (wide) road was clear and safe to do 180k's from the other direction , he was 3ft on the right side of the road "because it was clear" (he got 2 broken fingers from the steering wheel) . 1 Dead = 2 broken fingers don't add up !

I'd like to know how many of you guy's have had a prang (not your fault) doing LESS than 100k's , got out of your car , run up to the other car to see if the other guy was Ok , Mmm , Blood pouring from the side of his head (skull crushed), bleeding from his eyes , ears , nose & mouth . He made a mistake & turned in front of me at approx 20k's , 32 years later & I still CAN't forget it .

I hope you guys are "Immortal" I don't care if you're 17 or 77 , It CAN happen to you .

( I've had 16 Friends & Relo's killed in car accidents , 20 y/o daughter had 12 friends killed in 12 months , I don't like the stats on that )

THINK ABOUT IT ,,,,,,,,,,,,Laws are made for the lowest common denominator either car or driver .

Can I ask what type of cars your daughters drive? have they done any defensive driver training, do they drive in the city a lot, or do they avoid the other traffic???

If you have looked at most of the posts you will see that the "speeding" is done on open roads with no one else around and late at nite or early in the morning when most people are tucked away in bed nice and safe.

I'm also sorry that 32 yrs ago some one pulled out in front of you and you still think about it, but as you have said it was not your fault, In the 32 yrs since your accident cars have become a lot safer and MOST, (80%) of drivers are more aware of what's going on around them,
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
Old 16-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #105
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
To lighten up the thread a bit, ala Shannons car ad;

"You don't have to be a member of a car club to drive fast" :P
Old 16-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #106
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN
Slightly off the topic but that is so true!

By the way , is it any wonder Australia is losing its Aussie identity?
The Australian dick - head is a live and well, you don't have to look far to see that.
Old 16-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #107
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
Can I ask what type of cars your daughters drive? have they done any defensive driver training, do they drive in the city a lot, or do they avoid the other traffic???

If you have looked at most of the posts you will see that the "speeding" is done on open roads with no one else around and late at nite or early in the morning when most people are tucked away in bed nice and safe.
Yep , sure you can ask , they're on my Sig . KJ & KH Lasers , Eldest daughter (20) works 2 jobs , one here in our local town & one in a local Villiage 30k's out of town (only driven in the city a couple of times , mostly country driving), normally finishes work in the out of town job at 1.30 - 2.30 am and is not tucked up away in bed nice & safe , road is quite reasonable & wide , the major road between Bathurst and Wagga & has been "squeezed" to the side of the road a number of times by cars doing unknown speeds but VERY excessive . Ever noticed how narrow the road gets the faster you go ? If you go over a rise at 200k's , notice how quickly you gain on a car doing the Speed Limit of 100k's .

Yep , she's driven my racecar , so is confident in car handling & control at speed (even had the chance to have a run with ,and pointers from Des West , Brockies co-driver in 1969 & her Uncle who raced Mini's successfully for years has given her defensive driving help ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
MOST (80%) of drivers are more aware of what's going on around them,
Have to think about that one ? 12 years of driving racecars , I can't really make sense of this ... I used to do 220 + on the track (Div 2 Sports Sedans) , but sure as hell wouldn't do it on a public road .. what makes drivers more aware now than 10 , 15 , or 20 years ago ?

Cars HAVE improved over the years , but has it also increased drivers "false sense of security" ?

Thanks for the discussion , Shane , that's what the forum is all about . :hihi:

Old 16-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #108
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I would be more than comfortable, if our major roadways were 150km/h in off peak times.

Of course it wouldn't be suitable in peak hour (like you are even able to get to those speeds in peak hour anyways).

Most people aren't this stupid to do these speeds with traffic busy as hell. I spose it really is a case of laws protecting the stupid though. I bet there is a fair few cars which aren't even safe doing 50 or 60km/h :
Old 16-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #109
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I spose it really is a case of laws protecting the stupid though. I bet there is a fair few cars which aren't even safe doing 50 or 60km/h :
Yea , MITCHAY , that's why I said the laws (speed limits) have to be made with the lowest common denominator of car ( how roadworthy ) and driver (experience & Common sense) in mind . Nearly everybody can do 193 k's , but as you say , some aren't even safe at 50 - 60 k's

Old 17-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #110
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Normxb wrote - Yep , sure you can ask , they're on my Sig . KJ & KH Lasers , Eldest daughter (20) works 2 jobs , one here in our local town & one in a local Villiage 30k's out of town (only driven in the city a couple of times , mostly country driving), normally finishes work in the out of town job at 1.30 - 2.30 am and is not tucked up away in bed nice & safe , road is quite reasonable & wide, the major road between Bathurst and Wagga & has been "squeezed" to the side of the road a number of times by cars doing unknown speeds but VERY excessive.
Mmm, (advocacy-mode) its Christmas Norm;- buy two of the Ford part number items shown in my Sig via your local FoMoCo dealer, one for each Laser car:-)

*Not* the 'typical' truckie type if you don't mind, they are rubbish, genuine Ford only. Then, to help explain their purpose, refer them to 'The Road Users Users Handook', page 82. (Pdf 2.92mb).
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...uh_english.pdf

Curious, are either of the two Lasers fitted with aditional driving lights to aid high-beam performance? (Perhaps fitted to a lamp support bar). Or "Plus 50" type bulbs??

Speed:
On 'certain' rural highways, but not on gravel roads nor our low-grade asphalt network roads, would you again live with speed derestriction almost a la 1978 application?

The intention would be to speed-limit in normal absolute terms, using standard speed restriction signs, low-grade lengths vis 80 or 100km/h of what would otherwise be 'selected'-general (//) highways.

The rural 'default' would remain @ 100km/h but could reduce to better serve the low-grade roads.

NSW will keep the speed derestriction sign in its signage book for future application should we decide.

Flappist: Good comments.
I reside on a peninsular, one event that seems not to have made it to press was in my immediate area over the last day or so of an L plater caught at 157km/h in a 50km/h residential street nearby bearing houses both sides. The officer went beyond the call by 'literally cutting-up the chaps license' in front of him. I don't know if this event was day or night.

Referencing 'lowest common denominator' by people, whilst true in some road transport administration functions (low speed limits etc), politically speaking, I'd be more inclined to remove those whom are currently licensed and who meet that criteria - from holding that license, and then set about preventing those who can't drive safely and with good behaviour from holding a license, until such times they can function to a higher expected standard.

Whilst I see people going too-fast each and every day, particularly in built-up area road networks, I am less fussed with this on motorway class.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 17-12-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 17-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #111
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I reside on a peninsular, one event that seems not to have made it to press was in my immediate area over the last day or so of an L plater caught at 157km/h in a 50km/h residential street nearby bearing houses both sides. The officer went beyond the call by 'literally cutting-up the chaps license' in front of him. I don't know if this event was day or night.
That is plain idiocy! Some people need to be taken out back old yella style.
Old 15-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #112
Kyver
Starter Motor

there is an image at orsm.net, which i cant link directly to it, which has a speeding ticket in the ACT, a guy was done doing 297km/h in a 70 zone.
i have mirrored the image here:
http://www.mundubbera.com/rs0564.jpg

Last edited by Kyver; 15-06-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: edit url
Old 15-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #113
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr22n
I just read this...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=125819

Learner clocked at 193km/h on fatal road
Thursday Dec 14 09:35 AEDT
A learner driver has been clocked at 193km/h just hours after a motorcyclist died on the same stretch of road north of Brisbane, police say.

Police said a 20-year-old Mango Hill man was caught by police at 1.45am (AEST) on a 100km/h stretch of the Bruce Highway at Murrumba Downs.

When he was intercepted, police found he had been driving on a learner's permit with two teenage girls as passengers.

Just hours before, a motorcyclist had died in an accident thought to have been caused by excessive speed.

A 38-year-old man died instantly when he ran off the road about 8.30pm (AEST) on Wednesday and his bike rolled along a grass median strip.

Witnesses told police the man had been speeding before losing control on a slight bend.

Police are investigating.

The 20-year-old learner driver will appear at Petrie Magistrates Court on January 15 charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, driving whilst unaccompanied and failing to display L plates.
That stretch of the Bruce is VERY well policed.( Bogan Zone ) You do not want to be doing F1 speeds there
Steve
Old 15-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #114
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yeah but how many will openly admit to it? : I have been a passenger in a car more than capable, much faster than that.
I'm happy to admit it too... 195 in a 100 zone. Good lighting, freeway, 2am in the morning, no other cars/pedestrians around and no passengers in the car. I would do it again on those conditions.
Old 15-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #115
FRA
Mr Focus

this is why theres new laws for P plate drivers and it's about time I think.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
Old 15-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #116
sexr6tasy
Banned

I support tougher laws and driver training for all p platers however i also believe some fully licensed people also needs these same laws and driver training so why not make driver training mandatory for all license holders not just p platers or would they lose to many votes
Old 15-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #117
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread 6 months old, What's with the digging??
Old 15-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #118
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
This thread 6 months old, What's with the digging??
Time to bury it.
Closed Thread