Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default EL Choice?

Hi, Just over visiting from B Series, guys..........
A query for you and some advice please?
My Son has been offered an EL Fairmont Ghia (EL) series, dunno which year.
He says that on the outside it looks great, however its done around 300,000km.

I think thats a lot - and I don't know the history of the car, like has the Auto been rebuilt, or the motor had a rebuild.
Can you give me some clues please, what do you think?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Find out about the car, how long has he owned it, whats he and the previous owners done to the car, Has it had the headgasket changed, why is he selling it, has it got original plates if not why does it have new plates, check to make sure everything works and get your mechanic to look over it, and check all the electric's to make sure they work. if it where me i'd find one with lower km's and just look at futura's, XR's (which i have and its awsome ) and farimonts.

anyway goodluck

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6

Last edited by BaYa; 08-07-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
BaYa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
Find out about the car, how long has he owned it, whats he and the previous owners done to the car, Has it had the headgasket changed, why is he selling it, has it got original plates if not why does it have new plates, check to make sure everything works and get your mechanic to look over it, and check all the electric's to make sure they work. if it where me i'd find one with lower km's and just look at futura's, XR's (which i have and its awsome ) and farimonts.

anyway goodluck
Hey thanks, I'll check the thing out myself!
My last car was a EL Fairmont (97), gave good service however the head gasket tossed it in at 260,000km so I got rid of it for the RTV.

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Sunny's EL Ghia (Mr. Dose) has 370 on the clock now. Drives and feels like half that still. They age very well.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
Hi, Just over visiting from B Series, guys..........
A query for you and some advice please?
My Son has been offered an EL Fairmont Ghia (EL) series, dunno which year.
He says that on the outside it looks great, however its done around 300,000km.

I think thats a lot - and I don't know the history of the car, like has the Auto been rebuilt, or the motor had a rebuild.
Can you give me some clues please, what do you think?
It really would depend on the price also!!

Some people carry on about Klms on a car but personally I never think about that. If the motor is good, the body is ok and the price is fantastic that is all that counts.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Nashy86

I'd focus on checking the electrics and other non-engine or trans parts like steering and suspension etc.
If these areas of the car are good and well maintained then you'd probably be able to get it cheap due to the k's, and then work towards a replacement motor/gearbox with lower k's (if it ends up needing it) with the left over $$ that you save by accepting the high k's, because you can get them fairly cheap as well.

It may work out better to do this, rather than shell out the extra $$$ for a lower km car initially. At least then you can get a replacement motor and do the usual things like the head gasket before it goes in, so when it does go in you've looked over it properly and you know it is a good donk.

My 2c
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
johnny13
Banned

buy for 4k if engine die' throw a AU in 500, if gear box dies throw a good second in 200-300(thats if the BTR dies which i doupt).

as staded suspension would be the main area you will need to go over like ball joints, bushes stuff like that so budget another 500-800 to replace anything thats stuffed.

i cant see there being any major issue's with electrics check the power window regs as they are known to die and a change over unit is 120 a door, plus the heater check if it is nice and hot if not then that might be a dead heater core which is a dash out job.

somthing with halve them k's you'l be looking at spending 7000-8500. so 4000 plus a possible 2k max you will still be under.

never know the thing might be fine and never cause you any issues so then u piked up one cheap EL Ghia.
johnny13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Talking

Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate it!

I'll check out the car myself.. Your assistance gives me some good starting points.

RTV Power
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I just sold my ghia, ith 240k's on it and its perfect, cannot be mechanically faulted. I got a price that I pretty much brought it for originally. Its worth every cent.

It all depends on service, and the owner.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I just sold my ghia, ith 240k's on it and its perfect, cannot be mechanically faulted. I got a price that I pretty much brought it for originally. Its worth every cent.

Thanks a' Lot....... I'll ask around a bout the car, the bloke who owns it has it for sale for $1700.00......Seemed really cheap to me.
So I'll have a look at it and get it checked out.

RTV Power
Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

$1700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHHA Just buy it, unless it has something terminal, even then just fix it. I sold mine for roughly 4 times that, without a roady.

Id be worried that its so cheap, that changes things.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
johnny13
Banned

yer id be snaping it up for that price.
johnny13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:

Did it sell on carsales?

For $1700 you can't lose by the way! You can't even get a wreck for that.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
Did it sell on carsales?

For $1700 you can't lose by the way! You can't even get a wreck for that.
Yeah mate. Carsales is the bomb :

Thats two Ive sold on there. Deposit taken, should be settled by the end of the week.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:

sorry to highjack the thread but Congrats Polyal, now ya gonna get that ute ur after? .

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 09-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Thanks fellas, I'll check it out!

RTV Power
Old 15-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I'd like to thank the e series guys who responded to my query on the Ghia EL. I checke it out and it had a bit over 400,000 on the clock and while everything worked it was really tired, close to tired out I reckon.
My lad is not savvy enough to do the work to keep the old girl going. So he agreed to withdraw from the sale.
Thanks again fellas, appreciate the effort.

RTV Power
Old 15-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Good choice, though there's a lot out there for a very reasonable dollar these days.

My rule of thumb is that it's worth paying heaps extra for a much better example, because thousands in repairs add up so easily anyway.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post