Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
falzoony
Rockin '67

Default Any Sound Engineers out there?

So, year 12 is almost over and I am at that stage were I really need to decide what I am to do with myself next year. One thing I know for sure is that I want to be a sound engineer(studio work preferably). I'm sure that all sound engineers would know about SAE college, which is the place I'm leaning towards going to. The problem is that I have been told that the tafe course is as good as the SAE course(which is way more expencive).

If there are any sound engineers on this forum I would like to know your opinion on where the better place would be to go. The reason that I am leaning towards SAE is the fact that I can study part time(2 days a week) and as far as I'm aware Tafe don't offer this(not in SA anyway). I want to do part time so I can work and earn some $$$ whilst in the process of doing the course, because SAE is about 5x the price of TAFE. And SAE looks good on a resume'.

So any help from anyone in the industry would be much appreciated.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno how to help you mate. Just telling you next year i'm going for exactly the same course in RMIT in Melbourne. Can't wait!

I'd like to do studio work too, good choice. :P
Old 07-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
I dunno how to help you mate. Just telling you next year i'm going for exactly the same course in RMIT in Melbourne. Can't wait!

I'd like to do studio work too, good choice. :P
Cool : what exactly is RMIT?

'67 XR Wagon
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
big_pete
Sublime

in general (not sound engineer wise) ive found tafe to be on par with uni/whatever else.

how long is the tafe course compared to the SAE one?
it may be alright to do the Tafe course to begin with and then go on to SAE.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno what you're tafe's are like in SA. But our Box Hill Tafe is on par with the top private and government funded academy's/Uni's IMO.

I was going to do Sound Engineering this year at either JMC or Box Hill, and honestly mate, I talked to many sound engineers (i gig regularly and have been in the studios heaps, also have mates doing music courses) and all of them said they don't give a crap if your paper says JMC or Tafe (Or SAE in your case). The part that matters is your experience and your abilities. If you're only going to do it part time, then work as MUCH as you can in a studio, even for free, just to get experience. I would however, suggest doing live work as much as you can as well, that way you learn how to mix different rooms and different scenarios (ie. A band wanting to record 'live', you know what they're after).

I also suggest getting into live work, because studio work is hard. I was very close to doing it last year, but talking to all the local studio guys i've worked with (who are all extremely talented) they told me that it's hard to make money doing just studio work.. If you're planning to do your own studio, be prepared to be in debt for a long time as well.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
BlackLS

Do the tafe course and after starting out in a job, if the workplace is a good one, its in their best interests to offer training. And if need be, go to SAE, uni, or places like NIDA etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
in general (not sound engineer wise) ive found tafe to be on par with uni/whatever else.

how long is the tafe course compared to the SAE one?
it may be alright to do the Tafe course to begin with and then go on to SAE.
For a diploma the Tafe course is 2 years full time, and SAE is 1 year full time (or 2 part time). And I've never heard of anyone swapping but I may look into it.
Thanks

'67 XR Wagon
Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
I dunno what you're tafe's are like in SA. But our Box Hill Tafe is on par with the top private and government funded academy's/Uni's IMO.

I was going to do Sound Engineering this year at either JMC or Box Hill, and honestly mate, I talked to many sound engineers (i gig regularly and have been in the studios heaps, also have mates doing music courses) and all of them said they don't give a crap if your paper says JMC or Tafe (Or SAE in your case). The part that matters is your experience and your abilities. If you're only going to do it part time, then work as MUCH as you can in a studio, even for free, just to get experience. I would however, suggest doing live work as much as you can as well, that way you learn how to mix different rooms and different scenarios (ie. A band wanting to record 'live', you know what they're after).

I also suggest getting into live work, because studio work is hard. I was very close to doing it last year, but talking to all the local studio guys i've worked with (who are all extremely talented) they told me that it's hard to make money doing just studio work.. If you're planning to do your own studio, be prepared to be in debt for a long time as well.
I have also heard from many engineers that SAE is a waste of money as TAFE is as good, like you said.
I know a band who play about a few times a week and they told me that from next year I can come along with them as two of the members are qualified sound engineers and they will teach me what they know(I just hope the offer is still open).
I have already got my certificate 2 in live sound production which I got at TAFE, and I loved every minute of it!
My main goal would be to get into jingle writing. the place I done my work experience at was one of adelaides biggest jingle writting/studio's, and most of the time if they wernt recording a band, they were writting jingles. And one of the guys there also went through TAFE and strongly suggested it.
Thanks.

'67 XR Wagon
Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, TAFE is definitely good, suppose it just depends on whatever suits you best.

Jingle writing would be cool. I thought about it as i'm always coming up with catchy/annoying things, cos i'm weird like that, which tends to annoy friends a lot :P

Good luck with wherever you decide mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
I have also heard from many engineers that SAE is a waste of money as TAFE is as good, like you said.
I know a band who play about a few times a week and they told me that from next year I can come along with them as two of the members are qualified sound engineers and they will teach me what they know(I just hope the offer is still open).
I have already got my certificate 2 in live sound production which I got at TAFE, and I loved every minute of it!
My main goal would be to get into jingle writing. the place I done my work experience at was one of adelaides biggest jingle writting/studio's, and most of the time if they wernt recording a band, they were writting jingles. And one of the guys there also went through TAFE and strongly suggested it.
Thanks.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Yeah, TAFE is definitely good, suppose it just depends on whatever suits you best.

Jingle writing would be cool. I thought about it as i'm always coming up with catchy/annoying things, cos i'm weird like that, which tends to annoy friends a lot :P

Good luck with wherever you decide mate!
Thanks heaps mate, you've really made me think. well I'm going to SAE on friday with my music tech class to have a look around. I've already been to 2 open days, but hopefully friday will help me make up my mind.
Thanks again, I'll let you know what I decide to do.

'67 XR Wagon
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
Cool : what exactly is RMIT?
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. One of the more, if not the most prestigious Universities in Melbourne. Very high reputation in science and engineering.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. One of the more, if not the most prestigious Universities in Melbourne. Very high reputation in science and engineering.
As soon as I said that I realised. :. But thanks anyway.

'67 XR Wagon