Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
ONBA1L

Default pros and cons el xr8

Hi all
looking into an el xr8 and just wondering if anybody knows any pros and cons of the series? much appreciated

ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Pro-
They are a very nice looking car.

Con-
You need to spend big bucks to make them go hard.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Con - They are nearly 10 years old.

As an aside, I've had my EL GLi for 7 years and the only problem I have had, apart from the usual wear and tear, is the head went at 192,000kms. Been fine since then.

As for the series, the E series is renown for blowing head gaskets. Also for warping of the brake rotors.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Con - They are nearly 10 years old.

As an aside, I've had my EL GLi for 7 years and the only problem I have had, apart from the usual wear and tear, is the head went at 192,000kms. Been fine since then.

As for the series, the E series is renown for blowing head gaskets. Also for warping of the brake rotors.
the V8s don't have the headgasket problems like the 6's.

If you go for an EL, try to get a later EL (ELII) as it will have the 185kw engine compared to 170kw in the earlier EL.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

If you're going to do it up (engine-wise), there's no point specifically looking for an EL2 over an EL1 because you'll probably get a head/cam/intake combo to replace the factory gear anyway. The EL2 - despite getting much-improved Explorer intake manifolds - still came out with the crap E7 heads.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard the EL III's were quite good and more sort after, unsure if they made more power the the I & II's. Can anyone comfirm this,
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pro: post oct 97 cars are fast

con: pre oct 97 cars are slow
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
webby_191189
low wagooon

pro: Its a V8

Nuff said

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Pro: is a V8 ()

Con: is a V8 ($)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pro: good fun to drive, looks eleventy times better than an AU.

con: if manual, check the firewall, if it hasn't been re-enforced that's your first port of call. E-series clutches love to come and join you in the engine bay if you dont strengthen the firewall.

check headgasket, i was surprised to see in an earlier post that they dont have the same kinds of issues as the 6's but then again i don't know much bout the 8's.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
check headgasket, i was surprised to see in an earlier post that they dont have the same kinds of issues as the 6's but then again i don't know much bout the 8's.
Well they have totally different head and block design so why would they have the same head gasket problems as the 6. Not picking on you either mate in case thats what it sounds like _2:

Pro: It's a V8 so that means a sound to die for, 185kw ELII is reasonably quick. EL as a model is a well sorted car with few problems, plus they still look quite attractive. Relatively cheap to mod with plenty of aftermarket parts available.

Con: Fuel cost (if you care about such things), EL series 1 is pretty slow. Wont compare to AUII through to BFII as far as performance goes unless it's well modded.

Actually I wouldn't mind a manual EL II XR8 myself. Would be a fun car to drive I imagine.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
pro: Its a V8

Nuff said
Well said and thats all that needs to be said! :
Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

i owned an el xr8 MKI . nice car . watch for oil rear main leaks . and disc rotors warping . cltch cables freigh , and dont over rev . ( valve bounce. ) waste of time getting one with factory alarm . ( they were all faulty ) switch it off . people rave about the EL MKII . being much better because of what they read . really though the EL MKI 172KW . would be my pick , because it has a 3.23/1 diff versus 3.45/1 mkII diff . both engines rev to the same limit ( wheezy) so the mkii runs out of unph very early on in the peice . and sucks too much juice . they both do around 15.5 seconds over 400m. if you buy an MKI get extractors on it . it will whip a mkii then . EL AUTO DOOR locks were crap , and ford replaced most of them under warrantyu with EF ones. the xrs have great tickford sports suspension, and a limited slip diff . they aren't speed limited too 180km hour like the other el models but should be , because you will get drive shaft whip at 190km/s hr . which dissapears at about 200km/hr if you have nt catapolted through the traffic yet. heritage green is the rarest and most sought after colour .
i really regret selling mine as you dont see many of them left . i should 've kept it and spent 5 to 10 g's on it . i really regret not putting extractors , and aftermarket 18 inch wheels on it . i dont think there would be many immaculate ones out there . i really hope that some smart buyers ( unlike myself) bought one and put them in the garage , as i think they will be icon status historic cars down the track . tickford made its name with the EL XR6 / XR8. ( THEY SOUND GOOD TOO WITH STOCK EXHAUST. )
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
gozza

Quote:
E-series clutches love to come and join you in the engine bay if you dont strengthen the firewall.
i don't see how this is possible? are you referring to the clutch plate itself?
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
i don't see how this is possible? are you referring to the clutch plate itself?
na, just the cable. it wears away @ the firewall then the bolt comes thru the firewall.

and toastman, thats cool as i said i dont know anything really about the 8s
Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
SICAZZ
Banned

Default El Xr8

Pro -

During the EL model run, the current Ford Australia President, David Morgan, described the EL as the ultimate development of the body series introduced as the EA in 1988. Nowhere was this more apparent than in the XR8 series. The smooth XR nose styling introduced with the EF was given some attitude for the EL with its extra intake slot between the headlights and a wilder alloy wheel style. Several changes under the skin improved the XR's refinement and sporty feel.

The main change was the lowering of the centre pivot point of the Watts linkage which reduced the roll centre of the rear axle. Tickford was then able to tune the rear suspension arm location and bushes to retain the extra ride refinement of the EF while returning the sportier feel of earlier XR models over a wider range of road surfaces. The XR8's front suspension inner pivot bush was now urethane and the standard XR8 ABS system was the latest Bosch 5.3 system introduced with the EL.

A significant EL XR8 upgrade followed in October 1997 with little fanfare. An extractor exhaust system similar to the EL GT's, a larger throttle body, revised Explorer inlet manifolds and tweaking of the latest EEC V system lifted power output up to 185 kW with a small torque increase. The 16 inch wheel and tyre option became standard with two alloy wheel styles available.

This later EL XR8's rear axle ratio was lowered to 3.45:1 from 3.23:1 which made it the same as the XR6 for a significant improvement in performance off the mark. Only 784 of these final EL XR8 185 kW versions were made which makes them sought-after on the used market.

Specifications

Engine
Windsor 5-litre V8, OHV, electronic multi-point fuel injection, 9.00:1 compression, roller rockers, EEC V engine management system, larger throttle body, Explorer inlet manifolds, electronic ignition, extractors, 185kW @4500rpm, 402Nm @ 4000rpm (DIN)

Transmission
T50D 5-speed manual, all synchro.
Ratios: 1st 2.95:1- 2nd 1.94:1 - 3rd 1.34:1 - 4th 1.00:1 - 5th 0.73:1
Reverse 2.76:1
BTR 97LE 4-speed dual mode automatic, XR8 calibrations, T-Bar shift.
Ratios 1st 2.39:1 - 2nd 1.45:1 - 3rd 1.00:1 - 4th 0.69:1
Reverse 2.09:1
Rear axle: 3.45:1, limited slip differential

Suspension
Front: Independent, upper and lower wishbones, stiffer coil spring/upgraded gas strut-type dampers, inner urethane bushes and upgraded 27 mm anti-roll bar.
Rear: Live axle, upper and lower longitudinal arms, transverse Watts linkage, stiffer coil springs, upgraded gas dampers and 22m anti-roll bar.

Brakes
Front 287mm ventilated discs, rear 299 mm discs, ABS 5.3 servo assisted.

Wheels
7JJ X 16" 5 spoke alloy wheels, 225/50ZR16 Yokohama A510 steel-belted radials

Performance
0-100 km/h - 7.8 seconds; Standing 400m - 15.6 seconds
SICAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #17
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
The main reason why the 6's blow headgaskets is because they have a cast iron block combined with an alloy head. When metal heats up it expands. Having 2 different types of metal, they expand at different rates, which wears out the head gasket between them.

The V8s are completely cast iron, so when they expand, the block and heads expand at about the same rate, so the head gasket doesn't suffer the same fate.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #18
ONBA1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
The main reason why the 6's blow headgaskets is because they have a cast iron block combined with an alloy head. When metal heats up it expands. Having 2 different types of metal, they expand at different rates, which wears out the head gasket between them.

The V8s are completely cast iron, so when they expand, the block and heads expand at about the same rate, so the head gasket doesn't suffer the same fate.

talk about learning something new everyday....
currently looking at a series 1. thanx for all your opinions and ideas. the xr8 just has that appeal to it with the bodykit and headlights. ill try keeping at eye out still 2 c what else i can find much appreciated cheers
ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
burkie_21
wild xr8

[QUOTE=gtfpv]heritage green is the rarest and most sought after colour QUOTE]
awesome, i heard there was somethin rare about mine. i thought it had somethin to do with the kit
burkie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #20
bentles
Banned

basically any manual el xr8 with full tickford kit are all pretty rare and hard to find 2nd hand.

looks like alot of people tend not to sell them and hang onto them forever (like i would if i could have found one dammit)
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post