Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #31
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Go and get an axe, and attack the speed camera operator that snapped you..
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #32
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Go and get an axe, and attack the speed camera operator that snapped you..
For the non vics....

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.a...583184&rss=yes
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #33
congo3sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonspeed
Pay the fine boof head.
I agree,sourbastard must be on holiday,
Last time I told a forum member to just pay up I was banned for 3 days.
cheers george :
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #34
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Wondered what the hell the axe reference was, thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #35
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Just a little update...

I gave the State Debt Recovery Office a call to see what was happening as my 21days was up and I was getting a little worried. I was informed that they had received my letter and the fine had been placed on hold for now. They are just waiting on something else before they decide what to do.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #36
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

In Victoria if under 15kmph and no fines for a few years, write a letter, address it to the Officer in Charge, Traffic Camera Office. In the letter state time, day and place of offence, vehicle details and admissions to driving. State your reason for speeding and state you are sorry and would like to be considered for a warning. If you have an excellent driving record prior to fine make mention of that.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #37
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I agree with Duke and think they can apply a bit more discretion in such cases. In the good old days... they had a prima facia test apply and basically, if you presented a good enough case to the copper then he could let you go (even with a warning) http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...ella/speed.jpg
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #38
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I have drafted a letter on behalf of my dad who was caught 8 km/h over on a Sunday morning.
Basically states that in 31 years and over 1,000,000k's of driving he has never had a fine of any description...
Should get off on that one. If not, we are off to court.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #39
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
why does everyone have to be a damn beurocrat??

If you can get out of the fine, go for it - i cannot imagine 1 person (other the people doing 20km's under) who hasnt, and doesnt regularly speed. It isn Dangerous per se, unless you are doing it on a road that cant handle those speeds - roads can usually handle another 10km's ontop of the speedlimit safely, but its kept that low for the crap drivers that dont know what they are doing and like to look through the steering wheel to see whats ahead of them. Sure you got caught, sure, you were speeding but its not like it was dangerous, a threat to society, public enemy No1! ah! The Gestapo!
i follow the speed limit and try my best not to go over, so that makes me a granny driver ay?

its because of people like you that they continously bring the speed limit down, just follow the stupid limit! the roads may handle faster speeds, but statistically you can't handle the speed! break the law, cop the penalty i say, no different to any other law, you know its wrong but you still do it.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #40
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
cop the penalty i say, no different to any other law, you know its wrong but you still do it.
I know we are all risk takers at one time or another, but occasionally there are valid reasons and extenuating circumstances, and these should be catered for in any fair and just system.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #41
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
i follow the speed limit and try my best not to go over, so that makes me a granny driver ay?

its because of people like you that they continously bring the speed limit down, just follow the stupid limit! the roads may handle faster speeds, but statistically you can't handle the speed! break the law, cop the penalty i say, no different to any other law, you know its wrong but you still do it.
You follow the speed limit but you may have a momentary lapse where you exceed the speed limit. If you haven't had a fine in 10 years are you just going to cop it or are you going to ask for a review considering there are rules in place to do so?

Things aren't so black and white.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #42
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
but statistically you can't handle the speed!
There are no Stats to support that statement - I have been looking very hard.

When the Police tag an accident as speed related, the speed involved being deemed as excessive may have been within the speed limit.

The actual cause is not statistically gathered, separately from other factors.

I do not endorse speeding, But speed will rarely (if ever) cause an accident - although it can make accidents worse.

I think this thread is about the law, and the clemency that the law provides.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I do not endorse speeding, But speed will rarely (if ever) cause an accident - although it can make accidents worse.
But isn't that the whole point? Increased speed = increased trauma.

Don't want to steal the thread, but...

You could probably argue to the nth degree as to whether speed was the cause of an accident so you can simply write it off as a contributing factor. I don't buy that speed is rarely or ever the cause of an accident.

A vehicle taking a tight bend rated for 30kph at 90kph, car doesn't make it, runs wide and collects a tree. You could list half a dozen factors as to what caused the accident but quite simply, had the car been doing the rated speed or less on that bend then there's a significantly higher chance they would have negotitated it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #44
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I don't understand why because you have had a clean driving record you should be allowed 1 indescretion??????, Why??????????

The same argument could be used if I murdered someone...I have never been charged with anything in my life, surely 1 little murder should not blemish that........

Pffft you admit you were going more than the speed lim it, PAY THE FINE and take responsibilty for your actions!
Old 13-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #45
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

So keeping in mind that there are rules in place to ask for a review, you wouldnt do so if it was the first fine you had ever received in your driving history?
Old 13-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #46
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I don't understand why because you have had a clean driving record you should be allowed 1 indescretion??????, Why??????????

The same argument could be used if I murdered someone...I have never been charged with anything in my life, surely 1 little murder should not blemish that........

Pffft you admit you were going more than the speed lim it, PAY THE FINE and take responsibilty for your actions!
The point is if I did murder soemone then I would be able to front either a Judge or a Jury to put my case and then they determine my fate; and it would not be left to a policeman or any other entity!
Old 13-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #47
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXLS
Just a little more info. I was driving on the Sturt Hwy between Narrandera and Wagga Wagga. It is a 100km/hr road and was done by a highway patrol. I have actually been driving for 10 years including L's. Does that constitute 8, 9 or 10 years driving? Do they include Ls and Ps? I assume they would.
Obviously the Highway patrol, not a camera or roadside radar thought it serious enough to pull you over to ticket you for it.
The police have discretion to allow you off, just because this particular officer did not see fit to allow you that discretion does not mean you were not doing more than the speed limit. Usual rule of thumb is a 10% discretion, which to me would mean you must of by the officers radar been doing more than 10klm over the limit, which to IMO is not just a lapse in judgment, 5-6 klm per hour may be put down to Speedo accuracy anything more, you either a. should have paid more attention or
B. made a conscious decision to do it.
What is there to review?

I am not saying I am a perfect driver, but to answer your question if I would ask for a review, NO I would not especially after acknowledging the fact I was in the wrong.

Reson for EDIT Spelling

Last edited by Yaw; 13-07-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #48
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Obviously the Highway patrol, not a camera or roadside radar thought it serious enough to pull you over to ticket you for it.
The police have discretion to allow you off, just because this particular officer did not see fit to allow you that discretion does not mean you were not doing more than the speed limit. Usual rule of thumb is a 10% discretion, which to me would mean you must of by the officers radar been doing more than 10klm over the limit, which to IMO is not just a lapse in judgment, 5-6 klm per hour may be put down to Speedo accuracy anything more, you either a. should have paid more attention or
B. made a conscious decision to do it.
What is there to review?

I am not saying I am a perfect driver, but to answer your question if I would ask for a review, NO I would not especially after acknowledging the fact I was in the wrong.

Reson for EDIT Spelling
Or C. he had just completed an overtaking manouvre; or D the officer did not like the way his hair was parted, E maybe the officer was having a bad day and mistook the F111 overhead for his vehicle?
Old 13-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #49
FPV GT40
Banned

If you do the crime do the time (or pay the fine)

If you were speeding what is the problem???

By stating your clean driving record are you saying this was the very first time in all your driving life that you exceeded the speed limit??

Or is it the first time you were caught and fined???

If it was the first time you were caught, be glad for all the other times you were not caught, and where you won the game, the one time you lost just accept the punishment.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #50
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
Or C. he had just completed an overtaking manouvre; or D the officer did not like the way his hair was parted, E maybe the officer was having a bad day and mistook the F111 overhead for his vehicle?
C: there is no exception to speeding even if you are overtaking
D: I find hard to believe in any event.
E: No where in the above posts does he deny he doing more than 100 kph,
In fact he has written a letter basically stating he was guilty but asked for consideration of his previous driving record.
Old 13-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #51
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Basically you are forgeting that I am doing nothing wrong in writing a letter asking for a review. There are rules in place that allow me to do so. I find it hard to beleive that you or anyone else would not do the same. Using what Duke was referring to, would you pay more tax then what you would have to? Also to compare this to me murdering someone is just ridiculous.
Old 13-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #52
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
In fact he has written a letter basically stating he was guilty but asked for consideration of his previous driving record.
Well you are entitled to your opinion and it appears you are not changing that - neither am I.

Just in passing though, if you are folowing someone and they keep fluctuating their speeed because they are towing a trailer/van so they go faster down hill and slow up; would you try and overtake them? and what if this just happened to be on a nice straight stretch of road where they were close to the speed limit. You may sit there but me and others are going to leave htem to it - and by doing so we may happen to 'speed' or go over the posted limit. Never been there?
Old 13-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #53
FPV GT40
Banned

yes I am sure we all have, I know I have, does not change the fact you would be speeding....this is so simple....if your vehicle is traveling faster than the posted speed limit you are breaking the law and liable to punishment, no matter what story you come up with, how safe you believe it is how great a driver you are etc etc etc.

So if you do it, then get caught why whinge, no one made you do it...be responsible for your own actions why blame the cop doing his job enforcing our laws, and don't get me wrong I nearly lost my licence and possibly my job not too long ago for speeding, but I did not blame the cop I blamed my right foot....he was not driving the car I was...
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #54
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Basically you are forgeting that I am doing nothing wrong in writing a letter asking for a review. There are rules in place that allow me to do so. I find it hard to beleive that you or anyone else would not do the same. Using what Duke was referring to, would you pay more tax then what you would have to? Also to compare this to me murdering someone is just ridiculous.
Please don’t take what I have said in previous posts to be a personal attack. They are not intended that way. I do acknowledge that you can ask for a review as per what was posted regarding that.
You however asked the question, would I do that, to which I think I have said I would not. If however I was the person charged with doing the review, what I have said would be my opinion/discretionary judgment (if I were in that position).
To use the illustration of murder is simply a crime to illustrate a point. I could have used the same illustration by saying insider trading, fraud, rape, or assault. The point is a clean record does not get you off any of them, why is this different?
Old 13-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #55
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

But if I was charged/convicted of any of those crimes I would have the right to appeal in which case may or may not result in a reduction in the sentence. So relating back to this case, if the review was in my favour I may be given a warning instead of the fine and loss of points. So really it is no different.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #56
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
But if I was charged/convicted of any of those crimes I would have the right to appeal in which case may or may not result in a reduction in the sentence. So relating back to this case, if the review was in my favour I may be given a warning instead of the fine and loss of points. So really it is no different.
You can't appeal if you say you are guilty.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #57
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Well we will just have to await the outcome wont we.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #58
xls3v

pay the fine
only way to get of is if they have no proof
mates been let off many times as he's been lucky not to get caught when they have a read out like fixed camera or laser gun. plus he never admits an wrong doing once he was doing around 90 in a 60 got of in court.

im never so lucky lost license 3 times many speeding fine enough for a supercharger make me cry when i think about it. been clean now for 3-4 years hope my luck continues
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post