Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Arrow Alarm- Is it worth it?

I have not looked into getting an alarm put into my car but i was wondering -is it worth it? if so what type of system ($ and components) do you think i will need if i change my mind and decide to get one.

also i love the remote control starters. does anyone recomend them or do they have any downfalls, and how much will i be looking at?

thanks for any feedback
matt

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

remote start is a gimmick in my opinion...i'd rather not bump the remote and have my car sitting there idling away while i dont know..

alarms are definatley worth it.......if they're decent you get a discount on your insurance aparently
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

wayne i think the car turns off after a time period unless u do something. and they are less safe as u have to put the chip from the key and glue it on the barrel so it can be started with a screwdriver (with very little work)

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Picture this:

Two similar vehicles sitting in a near deserted car park. 1 has an alarm/anti-theft system, the other does not.......which one is likely to get broken into, stolen, or badly damaged?

You decide.

The problem these days is that if an experience car thief comes along and truly wants your car it is likely he may very well get it. In the situation described, and many others I can think of the alarm system is a deterrent.

By the way, it's OK to have some indication that there is such a system installed, but for your own sake don't advertise which one. All that does is tell a professional what has to be done to get around it.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh i think it would be good to get a security system for your car, seeing how easily you can open the door of an e-series model with a coat hanger it makes you think. My car came with an immobiliser so my car isnt going anywhere. Just dont keep to many things in your car and your insurance should cover anything that happens to your car if broken into.
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i got a viper kit for the EL - it pages you up to 1km and shows on an LCD picture on your keypad which part of the car is affected. It's a great system but wasn't cheap - i got tilt sensor added to protect the wheels (along with the locknuts) and it seems to be ok so far. Remote start was an extra $300 !! lol!!! for a ****y gimmic. You don't need it.

The EB has an alarm too, previous owner was told it may be a Viper too.. it's remote central locking with window close function (which rarely works). with an immobiliser that kicks in regardless of door lock positioning. Also seems like a decent system.

YES an alarm is worthwhile, but it makes no difference to your insurance premium unfortunately (with the two companies i've ever used).
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Twisted
Contributing Member

I work for an insurance company and I can confirm that an alarm will generally make no difference at all. The only exception is sometimes a specialty insurer like Shannons or Just Cars will require highly modified/high value vehicles to be fitted with an alarm that includes a gps transponder.

What you have to look at is: what are the odds of a professional car thief wanting to break in to and steal YOUR car? If you feel the risk is high then go for a high quality alarm, if you feel the risk is not so high then you might be happy settling for a cheaper alarm that will still make alot of noise if someone messes with the vehicle (scratches/badges/vandalises it etc) but wouldnt pose much of a challenge to a pro.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted
I work for an insurance company and I can confirm that an alarm will generally make no difference at all. The only exception is sometimes a specialty insurer like Shannons or Just Cars will require highly modified/high value vehicles to be fitted with an alarm that includes a gps transponder.

What you have to look at is: what are the odds of a professional car thief wanting to break in to and steal YOUR car? If you feel the risk is high then go for a high quality alarm, if you feel the risk is not so high then you might be happy settling for a cheaper alarm that will still make alot of noise if someone messes with the vehicle (scratches/badges/vandalises it etc) but wouldnt pose much of a challenge to a pro.
Working for an insurance company, you'd know the huge differences in premiums for different suburbs/regions too due to claim rates/theft/fraud etc! I'm in an area that has a very high premium rate for these reasons.. so that's another thing someone should consider when deciding on whether or not to get an alarm. General rule, if you pay through the nose for your premium, yes an alarm is worthwhile lol.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
Working for an insurance company, you'd know the huge differences in premiums for different suburbs/regions too due to claim rates/theft/fraud etc! I'm in an area that has a very high premium rate for these reasons.. so that's another thing someone should consider when deciding on whether or not to get an alarm. General rule, if you pay through the nose for your premium, yes an alarm is worthwhile lol.
True mate, ie: anywhere in Sydney and you will pay out the @ss for car insurance.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The EB has an alarm too, previous owner was told it may be a Viper too.. it's remote central locking with window close function (which rarely works). with an immobiliser that kicks in regardless of door lock positioning. Also seems like a decent system.

It's a Dynamco alarm in the EB. Similar to this one http://www.dynamco.com.au/cgi-bin/pr...gi?model=P375B

They are good systems, designed in Australia.

As for Sick EB, no alarm is going to stop professional theives from putting your car on a tow truck, but it gives you peace of mind when parking at dodgy shopping centers or train stations etc. Most car theives are just losers looking for a joyride or to use the car for another crime. An alarm will out-smart these type of people. It will also deter theives from doing a smash and grab on your car, especially if they see a flashing light on the dash. Like someone else said, if you have two cars next to each other, one with an alarm and another one without it, which car do you think the theif is going to target?
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
It's a Dynamco alarm in the EB. Similar to this one http://www.dynamco.com.au/cgi-bin/pr...gi?model=P375B

They are good systems, designed in Australia.

As for Sick EB, no alarm is going to stop professional theives from putting your car on a tow truck, but it gives you peace of mind when parking at dodgy shopping centers or train stations etc. Most car theives are just losers looking for a joyride or to use the car for another crime. An alarm will out-smart these type of people. It will also deter theives from doing a smash and grab on your car, especially if they see a flashing light on the dash. Like someone else said, if you have two cars next to each other, one with an alarm and another one without it, which car do you think the theif is going to target?
are you the guy i met last week when you and Sunny got the wheels ? lol if so i'll take your word for it. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 06-09-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Quote:
are you the guy i met last week when you and Sunny got the wheels ? lol if so i'll take your word for it.
no that was not me.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
no that was not me.

thanks for the feedback everyone.
you'll notice i was quoting "sphell" mate not you ;p
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

he was talking about sphell man.......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

sorry

2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
sorry
haha it's fine mate no stress.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #17
ea_boss_05

i just got a new alarm form cobra car alarms.
i was really happy with the finishing product and the service
it included,
Two (2) x Rolling Coded Waterproof Remote Controls
Panic Feature
All Black Wiring (To Comply with Australian Standards)
Three (3) Point Engine Immobilisation
Central Locking Hook Up (May Require Additional Parts)
118 Db Electronic Battery Back-Up Siren
Flashing Dashboard L.E.D. (Warning Light)
Indicator Confirmation on Arm/Disarm
Door, Bonnet & Boot Protection
Dual Stage Shock Sensor
wheel and window sensor
Automatic Reset and Diagnostic System
Emergency P.I.N. Override Facility
Three (3) Year Warranty on Product
Lifetime Warranty on installation
all for $480 including installation and ripping out the old system and was done in two hours.

LUKE
ea_boss_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #18
ea_boss_05

forgot to put web page www.cobracaralarms.com.au
ea_boss_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah its something on the to do list, but other mods take priority at the moment.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah its something on the to so list, but other mods take priority at the moment.
best to get it before you mod mate
Old 06-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
best to get it before you mod mate
Yeah I know its the right thing to do, but if my car was stolen I wouldn't be to upset, an excuse to get something new I guess. If I could afford to change cars every year I would :

Dont get me wrong, love the EL, but for whatever dumb reason I always want something else.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Dont get me wrong, love the EL, but for whatever dumb reason I always want something else.
i've never experienced that issue... _
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
HSVsFORD
Banned

I too wanted a car alarm and bought just that. Its the spacekey car alarm http://www.rapidelectronics.com.au/alarms.html but I cant get the thing to work. LOL
So far Ive got an alarm but doesnt work! Oh well at least I can say Ive got a car alarm in a hope that word travels via friends and eventually a car thief. LOL.
SHHHHH I hope no one finds out its not working LMAO
HSVsFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVsFORD
I too wanted a car alarm and bought just that. Its the spacekey car alarm http://www.rapidelectronics.com.au/alarms.html but I cant get the thing to work. LOL
A $49 Alarm

you should of just bought the flashing light for $2 - would be just as good

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #25
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Thats not a bad mine... 2+ years
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post