Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Default I.T services for the everyday family!

Im posting this to gather how much interest there would be with this particular service im in a position to provide. Whilst this wont give an exact indication i would still be nice to hear some input.

I currently work a for a IT wholesaler, one of the largest in the country. I'm there I.T systems builder and being in this position i can get any part cheaper than any JB hi fi or MSY or computer shop could give you.

Ive noticed that there are alot of every day familys that spend way to much money on computers, fixing computers, buying pre-build computers where 60% of the cost is just for the convinience of it being pre-built.

Who of you out there would be interested in being able to call someone about this service, describe what you want the computer used for, and your budget, receive all your parts at cost price (with invoices) and have it pre-built for you (before you pay!), at a much cheaper cost! All maintanance services would be at a fraction of the normal price too!

There are alot of computer illiterate people out there relying on sales staff at retail stores to point them in the right direction, which usually ends up costing a fair amount.

I do realise there are people out there that allready do this, but they wont get you parts at a cost price.

Whats your oppinion on this?

Full Momo and Leather Trim.
Redback exhaust, high flow cat and Pacey Extractors.

SELLING MY GENUINE 18" AZZUROS WITH TYRES.
FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

And how would your boss feel about you making extra money (which I don't see how you are if you sell everything for cost price) from your position in his company?
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Allready been discussed with him, the agreement is the company gets a small bit of the profit, which comes from the service provided, not the cost of the parts.

This isnt a dodgy backyard operation, its something that benifits both the company and myself.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 26-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
ch33z1l
Dawn

Do you offer a warranty of any sorts? Id suggest perhaps subscribe some that are interested and email out a list of parts/products etc.

I'm interested...keep us posted.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Manufacturer's warranty on all the parts. All parts would be stress tested in my builds centre before leaving to a customer either way.

We arent sure at this time wether we supply a parts list, or a list of vendor brands we use, and take parts requests from customers.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 26-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id be happy to buy stuff through you, but assembly wouldnt be required (it tech). but then again that wouldnt be of any benefit to you i suppose
Old 26-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

In that case mate, we would sell it to you for slightly higher than cost, still being cheaper than anywhere else you can get it!

Parts being cost price is a added bonus if your purchasing a full system to be built to your specifications by us.

The way this will all work will be more refined over time, as this is the first time we would be selling to the public instead of re-sellers only.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 26-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_4EVA
In that case mate, we would sell it to you for slightly higher than cost, still being cheaper than anywhere else you can get it!

Parts being cost price is a added bonus if your purchasing a full system to be built to your specifications by us.

The way this will all work will be more refined over time, as this is the first time we would be selling to the public instead of re-sellers only.
Its already happening everywhere mate, BUT the problem is cause your margins are a fraction of what the big boys are, and trust me they are getting the gear much cheaper than you, you dont have the advertising $$$$ to get word out to the market place. The big brands are just that brand names, all the internals and workings are the same as if you went and purchased all your gear from a MSY or the like.... All its about ease and people are LAZY and will part with their hard earned very quickly if they want something, and with PC's being a dime a dozen, most people walk straight into a Hardly Normal or the like and just hand it over the counter.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Its already happening everywhere mate, BUT the problem is cause your margins are a fraction of what the big boys are, and trust me they are getting the gear much cheaper than you, you dont have the advertising $$$$ to get word out to the market place. The big brands are just that brand names, all the internals and workings are the same as if you went and purchased all your gear from a MSY or the like.... All its about ease and people are LAZY and will part with their hard earned very quickly if they want something, and with PC's being a dime a dozen, most people walk straight into a Hardly Normal or the like and just hand it over the counter.
Granted, but this company IS the big boys. Business parters with IBM with 18 Gigantic warehouses around Australia. We do have the marketing $$$$. We do have the advertising potential. People do want there parts quickly, and people do go to places like harvey or msy, however some people, alot of people which take I.T a bit more seriously, do there research and hunt for prices. I would know this being the systems builder for victoria.

It just so happens im apart of the ford forum community, and wish to bring the advertising to them in some way.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 26-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd possibly be interested in parts just above cost price but the only person that's allowed to touch components going into my own PC is me.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Thats fine

Anyone can PM me with parts queries, ill get back to you very quickly with a price, we do have preferred vendor brands, so some brands we may not stock (because they dont sell as well). Can always do other brands of equivalant performance if need be.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 26-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
jonk

I stopped using Aussie IT wholesalers yonks ago. Set up a network OS. You'd be surprised at how much cost is added on to local wholesalers once they onsell stuff here to distributors.

All your really setting up is a business that sells out the back door, which is common for many PC shops who have done this, make themselves a second tier wholesaler. Anyway, I've digresses a little...

Your pre-built idea is OK but ! You'll run into trouble down the track if you undercut anyone on anything more than a backyard/home enterprise. Get any bigger than that, and you'll their suppliers breathing down your neck.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you said 18 warehoueses australiawide is there one in newcastle? if so i may be interested in parts on an ongoing basis

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Bumped to assess further interest.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who do you work for mate? Altech? Synnex? Ingram? MMT? etc?

I'm in the same business. You can PM me if you prefer.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

If you can get me parts for MSY prices but express post delivery, then you've got me interested. I hate lining up for at least half an hour at MSY only to find they're out of stock of what I need.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Manufacturer's warranty on all the parts. All parts would be stress tested in my builds centre before leaving to a customer either way.

We arent sure at this time wether we supply a parts list, or a list of vendor brands we use, and take parts requests from customers.
Quote:

Allready been discussed with him, the agreement is the company gets a small bit of the profit, which comes from the service provided, not the cost of the parts.

This isnt a dodgy backyard operation, its something that benifits both the company and myself.
The LAW in Australia is that if you are selling the computers assembled then YOU are responsible for the warranty as fas as your customers are concerned not the part manufacturer.

If something goes boom you must fix it and then negotiate with your supplier (your other job). How you do that is irrelevent but that is the law.

In the same way that if your PBR brakes fail on your Falcon, Ford are responsible to you, PBR is responsible to them.

As far as direct selling. You will have to get under Dell, register for GST if you do more that $60k odd a year, declare all your income to the ATO and take out insurance just incase someone gets hurt/killed/whatever using your system.

Your employers insurance/BAS rego etc cannot be used because YOU are the agent building and selling otherwise you cannot make money out of it.

Of course you can be clever and not do any of this stuff because nothing will go wrong just like all the drink drivers in unregistered unroadworthy cars lurking about. They save a fortune by not doing things.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The LAW in Australia is that if you are selling the computers assembled then YOU are responsible for the warranty as fas as your customers are concerned not the part manufacturer.

If something goes boom you must fix it and then negotiate with your supplier (your other job). How you do that is irrelevent but that is the law.

In the same way that if your PBR brakes fail on your Falcon, Ford are responsible to you, PBR is responsible to them.

As far as direct selling. You will have to get under Dell, register for GST if you do more that $60k odd a year, declare all your income to the ATO and take out insurance just incase someone gets hurt/killed/whatever using your system.

Your employers insurance/BAS rego etc cannot be used because YOU are the agent building and selling otherwise you cannot make money out of it.

Of course you can be clever and not do any of this stuff because nothing will go wrong just like all the drink drivers in unregistered unroadworthy cars lurking about. They save a fortune by not doing things.....
Thats all well and good, and its also sorted by the company, not my problem.

FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats all well and good, and its also sorted by the company, not my problem.
Does the invoice/receipt have your name or their name on it?

If you then it is your problem.

If them then it is their problem as you are just an employee.

If there is no invoice/receipt then you both will have a problem
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #20
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
If you can get me parts for MSY prices but express post delivery, then you've got me interested. I hate lining up for at least half an hour at MSY only to find they're out of stock of what I need.
I'd be interested too, The Pascoevale line sucks, standing outside in a line for 30-50 minutes gets boring after 30 seconds. As long as you provide proper invoices with warranty as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 09-10-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
Green_Reaper
Starter Motor

Would you do laptops too, or just PCs?
Green_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #22
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The downside of supplying to less knowledgeable PC users is that when something goes wrong that isn't necessarily a hardware fault - they come back to you and you end up wasting time fixing it. Something along the lines of "my computer is really slow/won't boot, it's your dodgy PC" and when you inspect it it's because the AV is off and they've been clicking on the web pages that promise to let you see Britney Spears naked and all you need to do is install this .exe file ............
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post