Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Default More noise!!

Well, getting towards the end of my modification to-do list, and I think I've saved some of the best until last.
Got my exhaust done yesterday. No idea why I waited so long to get it done. It's probably my favourite mod on a list that must be around 20-25 items long by now.
It was installed by a local shop called Performance Exhaust in Ringwood. Cannot recommend these guys highly enough. Dave who works in the shop there knows his stuff, and isn't afraid to tell it how he sees it. The guys that do the work in the workshop look like they've been there for a million years, and their work proves it. I had a call from them about midday yesterday saying that they were having problems with the tips that I wanted, so I dropped in to see what the go was. Turns out the installer had angled the tips so that they suited in better with the shape of the rear bar, and Dave wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not, so before final welding he called me up to make sure I liked the look of the car (which I love!!) so that they could guarantee their work before finalising. The guys were more than happy to have a chat while they were finishing off my car and if you wanted to, I'm sure they'd let you sit in on the work they do.
Anyways, back to the mod!

It's a 2.25" mild steel catback with twin dumped chrome exhaust tips. I couldn't believe the sight of the exhaust that came out of the car when I saw it on the ground. The resonator (pre-muffler) was about 3 feet long, about 4" in diameter, and then the muffler was just a box. Both the resonator and the muffler had purple patches where the system had sustained long periods of time with the exhaust gases trapped inside, lowering power output, but keeping the car quieter. The whole lot was removed and replaced with a straight 2.25" pipe through to an 'I don't know what size - wait for pics' muffler, then the tips attached to that.
The sound is to die for. I absolutely love it. It's nice and throaty at all the right revs, doesn't drone even at 110km/h along the Hume last night. But when you floor the pedal it's enough to make me smile like a pre-pubescent teenager on a first date.
But the best part, in my opinion, is the crackling you get when the revs drop. Blip the throttle then let the revs drop and those little pops and crackles you get are worth the system alone.

In terms of power increase, not a whole lot. Slightly more ballsy at the bottom end, but not a great deal.

Audio clips to follow, but for now, here's a few pics:

Sorry about the essay, but let me know what you guys think : :

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Mullett
Badly Focused

Very sweet man, what did the system set you back? Let me know how loud it is, especially going up hills at 80ish km, if it's not droney I might go with the same muffler setup you used (whatever that is :P)

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Cost me $380, but the tips alone were $120. Could probably have worked them down cheaper but they deserved every cent.
Going uphill at that speed is slightly droney, but I just drop a gear and listen to that engine note. I can see this mod ending up costing me a lot of fuel .

Old 29-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Mullett
Badly Focused

That's not bad man, do you have any undercar pics/any idea what mufflers they used?

-RM.

Old 29-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
skriblz06

nice mod mate, cant wait for the audio clip! Oh btw, your rear mouldings look like they've been faded badly by the wax. lol I recommend using Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer ( http://meguiarsdirect.com/zoom.asp?edpZ=84699 ). works a treat. Mine were like your mouldings before but got restored and took off all the wax. Just a thought. Anyways I'll keep an eye out for the audio clip
skriblz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Yeah I'm gonna pop off those rear trims and have them painted (that lower rear plastic crap and the spoiler - same problem). Cheers for the heads up though skriblz. Might have to get a bottle just for the in between period.
I'll try and get an audio clip tonight. More pics will come after work when I don't look like a retard trying to get under the car!!

Old 29-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
819_FLY

better yet get a vid of you doing a drive by and revving it.... would sell more i think hahaha

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the same system mine ended up with.

Very happy with the sound through tunnels... hehehee
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

the looks mad! that angle he welded the tips on is great!
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
focusrally888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Very sweet man, what did the system set you back? Let me know how loud it is, especially going up hills at 80ish km, if it's not droney I might go with the same muffler setup you used (whatever that is :P)

-RM.

let me know if when if you get exhaust done maybe get a better deal if we both get it done same place?
focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Mullett
Badly Focused

No problem, I know a guy in Perth (Peter who owns Carline Mufflers in Perth CBD) who's spot on, and he's pretty reasonable on price as well. I'm toying with the idea of turboing it a bit later on in the year, I'll do the exhaust when I do that...I've got it in my head that I can build a turbo setup and get it running for under 3k...

-RM.

Old 29-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
focusrally888

Quote:
No problem, I know a guy in Perth (Peter who owns Carline Mufflers in Perth CBD) who's spot on, and he's pretty reasonable on price as well. I'm toying with the idea of turboing it a bit later on in the year, I'll do the exhaust when I do that...I've got it in my head that I can build a turbo setup and get it running for under 3k...

-RM.

Great! depending on how good his price is... im only looking for the basic upgrade but i got a pretty expensive Dec/Jan but keep me posted, us WA guys gotta work together because there isnt many of us and the guys over here like to charge us more... pricks!
focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Sounds very nice..... i was looking to my exhaust during feb but since the sfs show is on the first i'll bumping it up to jan if i can get the time off work. I was planning on visiting the local midas store but since you recommend these guys so highly (and they obvisoly have experience working on a focus) then i'll check them out as well.

looking forward to hearing your car next time we meet.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrally888
Great! depending on how good his price is... im only looking for the basic upgrade but i got a pretty expensive Dec/Jan but keep me posted, us WA guys gotta work together because there isnt many of us and the guys over here like to charge us more... pricks!

Yeh i know what ya mean, WA is kinda distant from the world :(.

i hoping for a exhaust system like that.. hmm
Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
McDethWivFries
Starter Motor

place i used when i had a custom 2 1/4" twin system put on my 308 WB ute i use to own (sigh), cost me $900, had Pacemaker extractors, lukey mufflers etc etc. Spoke tot he guy when i picked it up (ute ran like utter crap before), he said that they didn't put the extractors on i was quoted with as they'd run out of stock but had a set of Pacemaker racing extractors so threw them on at no extra charge. Ute was good for well over 200kph after that and singing like a dream (specially through the polly pipe (o: ).

Custom Exhaust Center or something like that in Osbourne Park was the name of the joint iirc. Recomend them highly as well as they were extremely helpful, answered all my questions etc.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #16
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Finally got around to getting a video up.

Let me know what you think :

Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #17
819_FLY

hahaha can see you dash off to start the car.... hahahaha

But yeah I nice deep exhaust note which sounds pretty pimp.... Nice.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
Mullett
Badly Focused

Any chance of a full-throttle 2nd gear driveby? I'm going to do mine, but I don't want to be too loud...midnight hills runs

-RM.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Sounds similar to a LR that had a twin pipe system i.e. pipes down either side that I've heard and it (sort of) reminded me of a Ferrari V8 believe it or not. BTW You need some grease on your door hinge!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #20
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
...midnight hills runs

-RM.
A few years back I got a comment about how sweet the Focus sounded going up Galstone Gorge by a modded Integra Type-R driver, he was sitting in the carpark ontop of the gorge. Thats just with the intake mod!

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Sounds similar to a LR that had a twin pipe system i.e. pipes down either side that I've heard and it (sort of) reminded me of a Ferrari V8 believe it or not. BTW You need some grease on your door hinge!
The biggest difference between a Ferrari V8 and a bogan V8 is that ferrari use a 'flat crank' setup, which allows it to rev a lot harder, and doesn't have that offbeat out-of-balance thump to it. The end result is that the V8 is basically two 4cyl motors, so maybe yours did sound like one

-RM.