Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No oil pressure

Driving home today, I noticed a hissing sound coming from the front end, and tapping..

Anyways quickly pulled over popped the hood, I have got oil in the engine, its clean, not losiing oil anywhere. The tapping appears to be the fact there is no oil getting to the engine... The car is not overheating either...

Any ideas on what it may be and cost to fix it up?

Quick look in the gregorys, might be the oil filter blocked, but not sure if that sounds right.. Rekon it may be the oil pump, never had one go so wouldn't have a clue.. Any ideas would be appreciated...

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Maybe the Lifters? might be sticking.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Over time the lifters can get gunked up ... and they get jammed ... causing the ticking (or sometimes a loud clacking) ... in turn cause a slightly rougher idle due to this as well ... something to do with the valve not closing fully and vacuum is out.

I had it occur on the odd occasion ... but it'd go away when it cleared out ... but i knew one was on it's way out ... to replace them all there's 12 of them ... and can be anywhere from $10-$20 a pop (depending where you purchase them).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the tips, Im hoping that it isn't anything too major.. One mechanic said it may be the oil pump, which meant taking the engine out to replace or service, not sure what they recommend there,,,

If the lifters are shot would it be something that just goes and you notice it, and would it result in no oil pressure?

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Yeah ... lifters can just go ... something it might just get gunk in them and jam up.

I'd check them first ... cheaper and easier than an oil pump.

It is east to tell if it is a lifter ... the sounds can be quite loud .. and from the rocker cover area (usually rear ones go first though). Lifter won't result in no oil pressure ... just a vacuum drop causing a slightly rougher idle.

A stuffed oil pump would result in no oil pressure though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post