Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Default Seat belt retraction

The rear left seat belt wont retract at all and the drivers seat belt is slowly losing its ability to retract. The Gregory manual just shows pictures and doesn't have any explanations on what to change. What exactly needs to be changed? Is it the entire inertia reel?

Cheers

GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When you pull the reel apart you will be surprised how simplistic the thing is. They get bunged up with lint and basically you just need to blast it clean with air. If the belt is frayed or something else is stopping smooth operation replace the whole thing. If they don't retract properly or don't lock when pulled sharply (to replicate a prang) its a fail on your rego check in NSW
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have three AU's here and all three have the rear left seatbelt broken. If you go to the wreckers, its the only one you wont be able to pick up. A working one is rarer than rocking horse poopie.
Old 17-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
When you pull the reel apart you will be surprised how simplistic the thing is. They get bunged up with lint and basically you just need to blast it clean with air. If the belt is frayed or something else is stopping smooth operation replace the whole thing. If they don't retract properly or don't lock when pulled sharply (to replicate a prang) its a fail on your rego check in NSW
The actual belt is perfectly fine. When pulled sharply it also locks. I removed the trim, but wasn't sure how to take apart the reel. There wasn't too much room for me to move either. How exactly do I get the reel off to give it a clean?
Old 17-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
brad`
The Monty

i didnt know wreckers were aloud to sell seat belts any more due to safety reasons ?

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Ive taken most parts off so I can get to the bolt holding the reel in. But I cant undo the damn thing because the T50 torx is too long and I cant get it to rotate. I can only get 1/5 of a turn in before I hit the body of the car.

Any ideas?
Old 17-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
brad`
The Monty

i ahd the same problem i couldnt get the t-50's undone so just snapped all the "black plastic around the center off the belt u should see it, and now it works fine, i got photos on my build thread haha

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
i ahd the same problem i couldnt get the t-50's undone so just snapped all the "black plastic around the center off the belt u should see it, and now it works fine, i got photos on my build thread haha
What exactly did you break? Here's a pic of the reel.....

Old 18-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

I think the reel has had it. If I ring up Ford/wreckers, what exactly do I need to replace? Is it the entire reel? Or the plastic bits on either side of the reel?