Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
YoungFordFreak
Yamaha Rider

Default Damn Kangaroos

Just heard from the old man. He was driving up to our family property at Berridale near Jindabyne (forgot how to spell it) and he just arrived and said that he hit a damn roo. Now owning this farm for 10 years every family member has had a few close calls and some of us have hit them because they just jump out of no where. Old man said It bent the bumper and the Bonnet on his XR8 Sprint. ill take some shots of it when he gets back. All good though insurance will cover it. i think dads heart broken though. it truly is his baby. ATLEAST its not as bad as my brothers old TX3. Hit a roo at 100kms. BENT in the whole front end. And drove all the way back to sydney from canberra like that. tons of more close encounter storys but will save them for story time

Take care.
Will Post up Pics on Sunday

YoungFordFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn!!! Not good. Glad to hear nobody got injured.....Except for your dads broken heart.
I've hit a few roos up around Hay in NSW (I almost hit an emu once too). Now I'm looking into buying a decent bullbar for my ED along with some Lightforce driving lights.
Old 31-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I know the feeling... a roo took out my FE LTD whilst in its prime...

I bought a XG ute... bought a $150 bullbar and hit a roo that weekend... paid for itself instantly... :P
Old 31-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same, years ago I lost a ground up rebuilt car (3 years) to a roo at just over 100kmh near Gunning. Bent the chassis rails so was parted out.

When I was still living in the country I had Shu-Roo's on both cars, and now I only go down the farm every now and then I have the little plastic whistles on both the cars (Mini doesn't go bush...).

Seems to have many less close calls now. The whistles are only a few dollars a packet from Repco. People debate the effectiveness, but for me it seems to help a lot. If its only a placebo, then its a bloody effective one!

Gotta watch them buggers - they really do come out of nowhere!

Glad all are ok and Sprint can be fixed!
Old 31-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Same, years ago I lost a ground up rebuilt car (3 years) to a roo at just over 100kmh near Gunning. Bent the chassis rails so was parted out.

When I was still living in the country I had Shu-Roo's on both cars, and now I only go down the farm every now and then I have the little plastic whistles on both the cars (Mini doesn't go bush...).

Seems to have many less close calls now. The whistles are only a few dollars a packet from Repco. People debate the effectiveness, but for me it seems to help a lot. If its only a placebo, then its a bloody effective one!

Gotta watch them buggers - they really do come out of nowhere!

Glad all are ok and Sprint can be fixed!
You are talking about those Sonic Repellers... we had them on our cars... but i had lost the ones on my LTD...

The good bit about them, is they can hide easily... as the colours are usually eithr chrome or satin black :P
Old 31-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore
Damn!!! Not good. Glad to hear nobody got injured.....Except for your dads broken heart.
I've hit a few roos up around Hay in NSW (I almost hit an emu once too). Now I'm looking into buying a decent bullbar for my ED along with some Lightforce driving lights.
Emu hits are EPIC. we had a fleet car (EL) come back on a flatbed once after hitting one near Broken Hill. They make a roo hit look like a shopping trolley dent!

Lightforce's are awesome - especially on weak lighted EF's like I had! Get some lens covers though - the are exy to replace from stone hits!
Old 31-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
You are talking about those Sonic Repellers... we had them on our cars... but i had lost the ones on my LTD...

The good bit about them, is they can hide easily... as the colours are usually eithr chrome or satin black :P
Yeah, only held on by double sided tape and the guys at the Crystal car wash near our place kept ripping them off when washing the car.
Old 31-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
YoungFordFreak
Yamaha Rider

Thanks for the comments guys. Will post pics on Sunday. Yeah my dad has those whistles on his sprint as well lil black things.
Once we were driving there in a brand New Nissan Navara doing the speed limit (110kms) and around a bend 4 roos in a "S" pattern just standing there. Slammed the brakes on and manage to dodge everyone of them. that makes you krap your pants almost.

Another time doing the same speed then from far we could see eyes. So slowed down and obviously it was a roo...stopped behind it flashed the lights...beep the horn and it didnt move....?!?! like...are they just...not normal in the head or something??
Old 31-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
YoungFordFreak
Yamaha Rider

Old man just got back. Its not as bad as i thought. Just bent the bonnet on the right side. cracked the grill. and bumper is abit pushed in. but not major damage thankfully. Trying to convince him to let insurance fix it but he doesnt like other people touching his car and bla bla. hes fussy. Ill update you guys as it goes on. thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

My sister wrote of her XF after hitting a big red jumping into her path. Apparently the front of the car was absolutely demolished. Every car since has been fitted with bull bars.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

been there done that...twice

not fun the first time, wrote of the front end of the pano, but the B-Double that hit him a minute later finished what i had done

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG-PanelvanMan
been there done that...twice

not fun the first time, wrote of the front end of the pano, but the B-Double that hit him a minute later finished what i had done
Gotta love when they do that... you feel a sence of justice has occured... LOL!