Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Toyota Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money.MSN
Toyota recalls 1.3 million cars globally
29/01/2009 11:46:14 AM

Toyota said Wednesday it will recall almost 1.3 million vehicles worldwide due to a defect that could cause a foam pad near the seat belt to ignite during collisions.

The Japanese automaker said the recall includes 134,900 model-year 2006 and 2007 Yaris subcompacts that were sold in the US Toyota Motor Sales USA said it is working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall the vehicles.

Toyota spokesman Brian R. Lyons said in "severe front-end collisions," the mechanism that tightens the vehicle's seat belt expels a gas that could cause a sound-insulating foam pad nearby to ignite. In a worst-case scenario, the problem could cause a fire, he said.

However, Lyons said no cases of either have been reported where this actually happened in the US, and no other vehicles are affected.

The recall affects about 1.28 million vehicles worldwide that are based on Toyota's Yaris platform. Elsewhere, the car is sold as the Vitz and the Ractis. Lyons could not comment on whether problems related to defect have been reported outside the US.

Toyota Motor Sales USA will mail letters to consumers who own the affected cars next week, Lyons said. Toyota will pay the cost of the repair, which should take an hour at a Toyota dealer, he said.
That's a lot of cars to recall.
Yeouch.

Hope 'tis not a repost. Apologies if so, but couldn't find anything.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
ch33z1l
Dawn

My sister's Yaris is among those to be recalled.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Sorry, :

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11248089
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

"oh what a feeling..."

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in "severe front-end collisions," the mechanism that tightens the vehicle's seat belt expels a gas that could cause a sound-insulating foam pad nearby to ignite. In a worst-case scenario

It would be more likely you'll die in that Head on collision than having that piece of foam igniting from expelled high pressure Gas one would think!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
in "severe front-end collisions," the mechanism that tightens the vehicle's seat belt expels a gas that could cause a sound-insulating foam pad nearby to ignite. In a worst-case scenario

It would be more likely you'll die in that Head on collision than having that piece of foam igniting from expelled high pressure Gas one would think!
Exactly what I was thinking.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And yet Toyota still recalled it, meanwhile BA's have split brake hoses and coolant in transmissions and the silence from Ford is deafening.........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
And yet Toyota still recalled it, meanwhile BA's have split brake hoses and coolant in transmissions and the silence from Ford is deafening.........

Obviously Toyota can afford it, and Ford Aus can't. Simple as that.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Or maybe Toymotor care more about their customers and reputation than Ford Australia.Simple as that.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Sounds like the wifes car will be recalled then...Keep an eye out for it.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
If that is Ford's excuse then that is crap, there is more to selling cars than delivery and servicing. There is also the ownership experience.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While some Ford enthusiasts may cut Ford Aus slack for faulty brake hoses the great masses out there are voting with their wallets.
Another example of upper management blundering that WILL cost marketplace share and jobs. I believe the Herald Sun Cars guide is getting a great run with this brake hose episode and so is Holden!
At least Toyota initiates a recall.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
Or maybe Toymotor care more about their customers and reputation than Ford Australia.Simple as that.
Or they're scared after the front suspension incident that killed people in Japan and caused an international recall on a problem that they knew about for 9 years.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you think Toyota has no ghosts in the closet you are misinformed, if you look hard enough you will find things on most maufacturers.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Guessing
Replacing a piece of foam 50 cents a unit, replacing a Radiator on every BA falcon $400 a unit. No doubt the lawyers have had a look at the Foam issue and decided it is cheaper to spend a few Million on replacing foam than dishing out 100,000,000 in a law suite in the off chance it does catch fire.

Bottom line water and oil mixing isn't going to cause injures or loss of life

I thought ford had a recall out on the rear Brake lines on the Falcon, My BF was done last year??
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Guessing
Replacing a piece of foam 50 cents a unit, replacing a Radiator on every BA falcon $400 a unit. No doubt the lawyers have had a look at the Foam issue and decided it is cheaper to spend a few Million on replacing foam than dishing out 100,000,000 in a law suite in the off chance it does catch fire.

Bottom line water and oil mixing isn't going to cause injures or loss of life

I thought ford had a recall out on the rear Brake lines on the Falcon, My BF was done last year??
Recall are only done if its a safety issue, so radiators don't come under that.

The last brake line recall was for hoses rubbing on the rear suspension I believe in BA's. This new issue is brake hoses bursting on Territory's, and a couple of BA's. Different issue.

Carsguide are having a field day about it, there's at least 2 letters every week of people saying it has happened to them, but Ford still deny there is a problem.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a new territory and I think it is the duck's guts, but if you wander over to the Tezza forums, there are that many problems with the territory it almost put me off buying mine. But people informed me that SY resolved a fair few of SX's problems. But Ford still deny that SX had any issues. I have read stories on rust appearing in 12 month old cars, coolant in transmissions, Ball joints failing after 5000kms and now the flavour of the month is split brake hoses. If I was not such an ardent Ford fan, I would not touch the Territory with a 10ft barge pole...............

Last edited by Gobes32; 07-02-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #18
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if you think Toyota has no ghosts in the closet you are misinformed, if you look hard enough you will find things on most maufacturers.
As you state most manufacturers if not all have had some issues with particular vehicles. Its HOW they deal with those issues that makes the difference. When certain sections of the media get onto an issue it can get blown out proportion. I think it is a real pity Ford are going backwards in this area. I would have thought the Federal Govt would have a process in place to mandate recalls in safety related items.
cheers
Bill.