Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Default My Wishlist :D

Hey everyone,
I'm deciding whether to buy an BA XR6 turbo or go all out on my AU....
I need a ballpark price list of upgrades (including labour) so I know whether its worth it because I really want to keep my AU so I dont join the million other people that own a XR6T.

1. Extractors, Exhaust.
2. Lowering, Shocks.
3. HP Engine Swap Over
4. CAI Upgrade
5. Engine Upgrades (cams, crankshaft, pistons etc)
6. Fuel System Upgrades.
7. Supercharger or Turbo (preferences?)
8. Bodykit and Paint.

Any information you can give me guys to help me make a decision

pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

keep the AU mate... to many xr6t on the streets be different and dont follow the rest
supercharge it and make it fly thats what i reckon
lol
good luck
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Well, first up you will need to decide now if you want to add forced induction at all, because you don't want to waste money on N/A mods.

Example - There is no point in getting extractors and cold air intake if you are going to turbo it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

hey mate, your looking at the possibility of doing basically my setup.

Cost wise, I went some more expensive parts so there is some cost saving to be had when modding like this.

Suspension wise it went like this:

BOGE short shocks F&R
Eibach lowered spring F&R
Whiteline Sway bars F&R
SuperPro Caster/Camber kit Front only.
RDA slotted brakes F&R
Bendix HD brake pads F&R
18" Speedy MkIII Envy rims & tires
XR6 LSD with 3.45 ratio

Powerwise on a stock engine:
Pacemaker 4480 headers hiflow cat
2.5" mandrel exhaust with 3 mufflers
Raptor V Supercharger kit (got this second hand and saved big $$$)
CAPA Flasher 3 unit

Tuner:
Expect up to $1000 dependent on individual tuners.

All up, once this is done, I have estimated I would have spend about 10k-12k.

Ask me in a months time what I think of the power.
As for handling, I LOVE it. so much more responsive and agile thru corners. I take corners heaps faster.

I find people dont even expect me to be competitive thru the hills. I give them a real run for their money. Its great.

I have had comments from people saying why didnt I bother buying an XR6T etc. But in the end, I wanted to be different. Also having a stealth/sleeper approach is also good. No one is expecting my taxi AU to have 200rwkw and 500Nm or torque on a stock engine. The only give away to those remotely involved in the modding world will be the whine.

If you want to know more about my set up, click on link in my signature.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Alrighty This is my first run at modding a car so I'm not sure whats what.

Would the same thing apply if I put a supercharger in it, im not sure whether superchargers are forced induction or not :(
So i'm assuming seeing I wouldn't have a CAI system, I would need a intercooler?

Next question can I achieve anywhere near the power with N/A as I would with an turbo/supercharger?
Old 25-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Nope, nowhere near the power. And if you went supercharged, you could buy extractors.

Some reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpdau
Alrighty This is my first run at modding a car so I'm not sure whats what.
Quote:
Would the same thing apply if I put a supercharger in it, im not sure whether superchargers are forced induction or not :(
SUPERCHARGER ARE A FORM OF FORCED INDUCTION. THEY ARE DRIVEN FROM YOUR ENGINE TO WORK WHERE A TURBO IS DRIVEN VIA USE EXHAUST GASES. 2 SEPARATE WAYS OF GETTING POWER ALTHOUGH THEY DRIVE DIFFERENTLY. TURBO'S YOU CAN GENERALLY HAVE A GOOD PLATFORM TO GET MORE BOOST/POWER FROM LATER, WHERE S/C IS A BOLT ON KIT AND IS PRETTY MUCH SETUP FOR 1 BOOST LEVEL
Quote:
So i'm assuming seeing I wouldn't have a CAI system, I would need a intercooler?
WITH A SUPERCHARGER, THERE ARE MANY KITS THAT CAN WORK WITHOUT AN INTERCOOLER ON LOW BOOST. BUT IF YOU CHOSE TO RUN AN INTERCOOLER, IT WILL GIVE YOU THE OPTION OF BOOSTING MORE POWER WITH A CHANGE OF THE PULLEY SIZE.

Quote:
Next question can I achieve anywhere near the power with N/A as I would with an turbo/supercharger?
IN A NUTSHELL, NO. TO ACHEIVE THE SAME SORT OF POWER THAT FORCED INDUCTION CAN BRING WILL REQUIRE A LARGE PROPORTION OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, YOUR CAR WILL BE A PIG TO DRIVE ON THE STREET, YOU WILL NEED HEADWORK, MASSIVE CAM, STRONGER BOTTOM END, STALL CONVERTER IF AUTO, THE LIST GOES ON. I HAVE LOOKED INTO THIS. AND WHILE SOME HAVE GOT GOOD RESULTS FROM DOING AN N/A SETUP, THE BOOST APPLICATION WINS HANDS DOWN FOR OUTRIGHT INITIAL POWER. BANG FOR YOUR BUCK YOU WILL GET MORE BACK FROM FORCED INDUCTION WITH A PLATFORM TO INCREASE POWER AS OPPOSED TO STICKING WITH N/A.

DOWNSIDES OF GOING BOOSTED, BEWARE OF MR PLOD. ITS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT IF YOU DONT WANT YOUR CAR TO BE DEFECTED, TO GET YOUR CAR EMMISIONS TESTED AND ENGINEERED WHICH EQUALS MORE MONEY

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Cheers that pretty much clears everything up....

Just one final thing that is bugging me, at the moment its running on a tickford gas setup. Will i need to consider SVI or LPLI conversion if i take the forced induction route?

The money isn't really a big issue to me, I mean i was intending to spend around 20k in total anyway so if lands around there I will be fine
Old 25-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Cheers that pretty much clears everything up....

Just one final thing that is bugging me, at the moment its running on a tickford gas setup. Will i need to consider SVI or LPLI conversion if i take the forced induction route?

The money isn't really a big issue to me, I mean i was intending to spend around 20k in total anyway so if lands around there I will be fine
I have the same issue. I have dual fuel system.

With the CAPA flash tuner you can run multiple tunes.

I will be looking at keeping my current mixer ring system, tuning it to run economically and efficiently as possible. Thats on 1 tune.

With the petrol, I will be trying to maximise the power from that fuel. Tuning it on 98 RON fuel. Thats on 1 other tune.

The other tuning channels will be for stock tune and valet.

I recommend getting a tuning device which will handle both fuels if your looking to keep the dual fuel setup.

Alternatively you can spend the money on an SVI setup which you will see great gains from if forced induction was the goal.

Its better to run 1 or the other fuel type rather than both. But if your greedy like me and want the best of both worlds, you can opt to see if your tuner can set up your flash box for both.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

I've found a set of Pacemaker 4499's on ebay for $300, as I was reading your thread Shav i noticed you had issues with your gas converter is this a common problem with fitting extractors or are is it just the larger than normal ones that have issues?
Old 25-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
I've found a set of Pacemaker 4499's on ebay for $300, as I was reading your thread Shav i noticed you had issues with your gas converter is this a common problem with fitting extractors or are is it just the larger than normal ones that have issues?
isn't it the 4480's that have issues with gas?? 4499's are meant to not have that issue???

picked up some 4499's myself last night for $250......maybe going the lpg road in the future........
Old 25-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Apparently any aftermarket extractors can have that issue if the converter is big enough, i think ill have to take it down to an exhaust joint and see what they think.

Also is it possible to convert a AU I front end to say a AU II/III front end including grille?
Old 25-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

The Vialle converters are the main issue as the body of them are larger than other converters on the market. Tickford/Parnell systems are usually the ones that can cause issues.

My suggestion is to get the converter moved by the same person who is fitting your extractors. The hardest part with that is finding someone willing and qualified to do that.

The best way to tackle the problem is to remove the converter all together, fit the headers, then refit the converter to its new location. That way u can get the required clearance as necessary. This is what my mechanic is going to do.

Others here have managed to fit headers with the converter in the same spot, others havent. Some have chose to get a BA header tank to allow for extra space for the converter to be relocated. (speak to Mechan1k about this mod)

I recommend doing a search on the subject as there are thread discussing this very topic.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Also is it possible to convert a AU I front end to say a AU II/III front end including grille?
You'll need a new bonnet with the higher clearance to fit the larger series 2/3 grille in there.....but otherwise you should have no problems....
Old 25-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
BOGE short shocks F&R
Eibach lowered spring F&R
Whiteline Sway bars F&R
SuperPro Caster/Camber kit Front only.
How much did this cost in the end for parts and labour?
I want to get exhaust and suspension done at the same time but want to know how much it will set me back all together. I know exhaust including extractors will cost around $1400.

Cheers
Old 25-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
How much did this cost in the end for parts and labour?
I want to get exhaust and suspension done at the same time but want to know how much it will set me back all together. I know exhaust including extractors will cost around $1400.

Cheers
Parts cost:
Superlow Kings @ $125.00 pr. (I didnt get these, I went for Eibach which costed me $250pr)
Frt Boge gas @ $220.00 pr
Rear Boge gas @ $140.00 pr
Whiteline Frt 27mm s/bar @153.00
Whiteline Rear 22mm s/bar @ $173.00
Superpro caster/camber kit @ $188.00 per wheel

To get fitted, I got this done thru a member of the forums here is SA who did it all for mates rates. Paid about $600 cash and he fitted my brakes at the same time.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

So pretty much looking at about 2500-3000 mark, which is pretty decent seeing the handling and power increase I will gain.

Now the question that is going to make me sad, what kind of money am I looking at for a Supercharger and labour :( be gentle.....
Old 25-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
So pretty much looking at about 2500-3000 mark, which is pretty decent seeing the handling and power increase I will gain.

Now the question that is going to make me sad, what kind of money am I looking at for a Supercharger and labour :( be gentle.....
well I was lucky. I bought at the right time from someone with a near new kit and saved myself alotta dosh by paying near on half price.

But if you were to buy say a Raptor kit new, they are over 5k and come with everything including flash tuner box and generic supercharger tune from Raptor to suit your car's ecu.

Fitting - you could do this yourself, it comes with instruction manual, other wise expect to pay $500

Powerwise, estimated very close to 200rwkw or in other words 260kw and 500Nm torque at the engine with auto. Thats BA XR8 sort of power. All running on 8-9lbs of boost and can run without intercooler. Strong power from approx. 2000-5500rpm from what I have been told.

Make sure you fit good extractors too. Supercharging requires a minimum of high flowing extractors, and 2.5" exhaust. Preferably 3" exhaust for maximum gain. Transmission should have a Heavy Duty Oil cooler on it too for added insurance to your gearbox. Make sure good oil is in the trans.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
You'll need a new bonnet with the higher clearance to fit the larger series 2/3 grille in there.....but otherwise you should have no problems....
Don't forget the bonnet catch is different between the two types of bonnets.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Hmmmm now considering selling my AU I for a series 2/3 due to the fact I can sell my car and with the money I would've spent on an engine I can put towards better put together car

For example
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...PriceMax=10000

Last edited by pmpdau; 25-02-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 25-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #21
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be cheaper to buy one with all the mods you have planned, not just a better example. Then refine what has been done.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Hmmmm now considering selling my AU I for a series 2/3 due to the fact I can sell my car and with the money I would've spent on an engine I can put towards better put together car

For example
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...PriceMax=10000
Its basically my car in maroon

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #23
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

you could save yourself alot of effort and just buy this...?
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6708760.aspx

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #24
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
you could save yourself alot of effort and just buy this...?
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6708760.aspx

Damn thats a clean example!

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #25
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

That is a really nice example pity its in NSW lol, but chances are my car wont sell for a little while..... AU I with 420,000 on the clock lol.

The main reason I want a better example is so I can say I did that or at least some of it :P If i wanted to go out and buy a pretty car with plenty of power I would be driving a XR6T right now

Last edited by pmpdau; 26-02-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: missed a post :(