Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Mullett
Badly Focused

Default LS/LT spotlight install

I do a lot of night/country driving, and these were sitting in the shed...the rest is history. I don't like mounting lights on the front bar/protruding, especially on anything that isn't a 4wd, but there's a surprising amount of room behind the front grille...

Remove the top cover. The grille will have to come off eventually, but it's useful to have it in place now to check clearances.

Cut off this bracket

Cut two peices of 50x50x3 angle bar to support the lights, mark, drill and bolt them to existing bolt holes with M6 bolts and stainless nuts.

Cut a peice of 40mm flatbar to support the lights (I used aluminum because it was there)

Notch the support bar

Lights attached!

Use this wire to trigger your relay (NEVER run spotlights off the headlight wires...they'll melt)

Lights attached and wired up with the grille removed

Everything put back into place and ready to go!

This is pretty straight forward, the biggest peice of advice I can give is to check fitment at EVERY stage, you want all the covers to go back on neatly without interfering or rattling. Also, what works on my car might not work on yours...you might have different coloured wires, different stuff under the covers etc. The grille doesn't affect the lights too much, i've tried with it on and off.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
819_FLY

Nice subtle and practical. I was thinking whether the grill would scatter the light a bit but you have answered the question hahaha.

The standard headlights even on high beam don't look enough light for me considering I make a cross country trek once a year on average and involves some night driving, could be an option for me to consider as the fog lights wont cut the mustard due to one being used for air pickup for the pod filter.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Mullett
Badly Focused

Yup, foglights are pretty much only for very close range, they're too small and mounted too low to give any real long-distance illumination. The spotlights fill out the 'void' in the middle of the standard headlight range, giving about 300m of useable vision. They do reflect badly off roadside signs though.

-RM.

Old 15-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

You weren't going for THIS look? Maybe a little more subtle! Should be handy for those country roads.

BTW, there is a fair bit of space behind that upper grille!
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
819_FLY

Yeah thats the spirit!!

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I kinda wondered how or where someone would mount such things. Nice work.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
You weren't going for THIS look? Maybe a little more subtle! Should be handy for those country roads.

BTW, there is a fair bit of space behind that upper grille!

Check out the lift on the front wheels in that pic!

-RM.

Old 16-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "Check out the lift on the front wheels in that pic!"
I believe that's pretty much standard gravel-spec suspension. The guards are far from stock in it's shape and it looks a bit funny but very effective. Did you see the photos of "our" WRC Replica we had at Small Ford Sunday?

BTW I've had past experience with fitting driving lights on my last rides but this time I decided to upgrade the globes and I'm very happy with the results. But that's a nice, subtle job there and it might give some protection from stones etc. Well done.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good job MUllet. Nice to see some custom fabrication work being done
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good job Mullet. Nice to see some custom fabrication work being done
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Good job Mullet. Nice to see some custom fabrication work being done
Hey twice the praise!!!!
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post