Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #31
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

People just love to be offended these days. They make a big song and dance about how they were personally insulted by a joke and expect immediate action for their hurt feelings. Maybe it makes them feel important.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #32
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Really though, it's the chaser.

If you are easily offended...don't watch it.
If they say something you don't like...change the channel.

I'm not saying it's right what they did infact it was appauling. But, just let it be...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #33
SVTVNM
Guzzler

As the sketch started and I could see were it was going I thought to myself "you can't do that", but having said that I have seen other Australian scetch comedy shows take the mickey out of the terminally ill, which is still wrong, but the Chaser boys have a reputation so obviously there is a greater reaction to their scetch. Still not good!!!! Now that that little Johnny Howard is gone I say bring back "The Glass House".
Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #34
Scott

As has been mentioned already, the thing that makes me angry is the innocence of the people they took a cheap shot at. Give me a racist/sexist/discriminatory or sick joke about whatever you want and I'll laugh my pert freckle off but making fun about innocent, terminally ill kids is about as weak as it gets.

I might be heard to say something is "funny as a fire in an orphanage" from time to time but in my head space it is a proposterous, fictional situation. Kids dying infront of their parents from an incurable disease is not.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #35
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks to the guys that sent me pms about this topic it makes me feel better about starting this thread

for those interested this story is why this sort of thing hits me hard
http://www.sakks.org/stories/bryce/bryce1.html

that is the story about my nephew i havnt read the whole thing as knowing the story in real life hurts to much

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #36
luke1984

I found this skit went a bit too far. It has been played once on the ABC and is has now been taken off. I find it ironic that now the media is replaying the skit over and over, offending more people
Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #37
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess

I was sent a youtube link to the said "Chasers war against everything" whilst I was posted overseas

Some ridiculous stint where couples are "trying out" a new bed in the store

That was enough for me, predictable humour which is really isnt funny just plain silly

Wont tune in and never will
Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #38
ckugler

Why a small majority of people find this sort of humour funny is beyond me, I suppose the same reason the naughtiest kids at school were usually the most popular. Lets face it there are some people who would find beating a dog to death funny, doesnt mean it should be broadcast to entertain this small majority of people. There are boundaries that just should not be crossed, in my opinion these guys should have been shot in the apec skit.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #39
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckugler
in my opinion these guys should have been shot in the apec skit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
only have been funnier if one of them actually got shot.
I find it a little more sick that you guys would find pleasure in them being shot, if you guys dont like there comedy, simply dont watch.

Last edited by bloggs24; 04-06-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Reworded
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #40
ckugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
I find it a little more sick that you guys would find pleasure in them being shot, if you guys dont like there comedy, simply dont watch.
I dont think anyone is implying we get pleasure from seeing them shot, only that it would teach a lesson if it had happened. I personally dont watch the show, I have only seen 2 episodes which was enough for me to form my opinion.
You say, pushing the boundaries, I say corrupting sound humanitarian values.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #41
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I refuse to watch that show as they are just extremely obtuse misanthropes who use the "media" to disguise their actions.

What will be next? Shoot some aborigines? Crash a plane full of passengers?

The show should be stopped and each of the writers and the producer banned for ever woring in the public media ever again.
Thanks for that Chairman Flappist but preventing someone from making a living purely because of one skit is just stuiped and your made up examples of "what will be next?" is far beyond even the Chaser would do. If people want to watch it, let them watch it, otherwise we are no better than China or Saudi Arabia.

To the people who have been making posts along the lines of Maude Flanders in the Simpsons,"think of the children!", face reality, your aggression towards the Chaser isn't to help sick kids but rather to make yourself feel better. Instead of getting on your high horse send a DESERVING charity some cash otherwise just don't watch it.

For all of those who have gone through the ordeal of having a sick child I really feel for you, but removing a program isn't the answer.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #42
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

"There are boundaries that just should not be crossed, in my opinion these guys should have been shot in the apec skit."

"I dont think anyone is implying we get pleasure from seeing them shot, only that it would teach a lesson if it had happened. "

Some sound humanitarian values you have there bro.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #43
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being the OP of this thread can a mod close it please

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #44
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckugler
I dont think anyone is implying we get pleasure from seeing them shot, only that it would teach a lesson if it had happened. I personally dont watch the show, I have only seen 2 episodes which was enough for me to form my opinion.
You say, pushing the boundaries, I say corrupting sound humanitarian values.
That was more pointed towards Myts for thinking that it would be funny if someone shot them.

My point is they shouldnt have there show taken off the air or lose there jobs over this 60 second skit. As wrong as the skit was, this is a "free" country, if its offended you, dont watch another episode as theres a chance they might do something else which may offend you.

However its not there fault the security at APEC was so easy to get past, im sure they were expecting to be refused entry. And being hit with a potentially fatal bullet is no way to teach someone a lesson.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #45
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there will be a thread on a slightly differant nature but still on the same topic soon

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #46
ckugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
"There are boundaries that just should not be crossed, in my opinion these guys should have been shot in the apec skit."

"I dont think anyone is implying we get pleasure from seeing them shot, only that it would teach a lesson if it had happened. "

Some sound humanitarian values you have there bro.
No need for sarcasm, bro,if you cannot see the damage this one particular skit has done then you obviously dont have the same values as me. And furthermore dont have the same sense of humour. Each to their own I guess.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #47
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

How can a thread be on a "slightly differant nature but still on the same topic"?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #48
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Being the OP of this thread can a mod close it please

Jason
Since you asked so nicely.

We are all forgetting here, any shooting to be done refer to one Sourbastard Esquire please.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #49
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Have Howitzer, will travel.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread