Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Threadmining

Admin team,

As the site continues to grow and age, a lot of topics are re-discussed. This has in turn prompted people to use the search function, and in turn reply to a many-year-old thread.

I believe this is bothersome and i'm sure you feel the same.

Is there something you can do to stop people mining threads older than a certain date?

Regards
Mr Hardware.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is something I don't see the issue with, if someone starts a new thread people have a go at them for not searching first, yet if they do search, don't find an answer but a relative topic, if they post in it people have a go at them about thread mining.
So can someone please clarify what would make all the whining pricks shutup?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm with Mr Hardware on this. A good example can be found todayhttp://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=23401 this one goes back to 2005 !!

If it was a problem someone had and an answer to the problem has finally been found, great. Dig it up and tell everyone, but threads like the one above are just a waste of space.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

What is useless can be very subjective GasOLane. Dont get me wrong i agree with you on regarding that threadmine you linked in

Personally, thread mines pop up every now and again and I dont see it as a major problem or nuisance. If anything they make me laugh as its usually a newby doing the mining
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Threadmining is annoying, but as a information resource sometimes its useful to dredge an archive.

If i searched and found information on a topic I needed, but i had a point to clarify that might aid others, or something that was plainly wrong in the content, I'd happily quote a 2yr old thread so its all in one place for future searchers.

Maybe just a note in the sign on t&c's about threadmining?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

As has been noted it's subjective, the mine being on topic and helpful vs a bump of a thread that was debatable in the first place will decide it's lifespan.

We must remember Mods have differing opinions the same as others, what i close others may leave and so on.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Perhaps an option is for threads to become "read-only" after a set period of time since the last post (3 months for example)

This would have to exclude threads such as project/build threads, but on the whole it would stop people adding to thread-mining, yet still allow users to dig up old information that may be valuble to them. This would still allow users to start a new thread with their questions/findings, and they or other users could then link the "mined" thread as a source of info without cluttering up or rehashing a long winded thread.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Just leave it be and lets the mods do their jobs. Thats what they are here for.
I do agree with StealthAu about the whingers, post a new thread "oi use the flaming search button" , Dig up an old thread with something important to add "Stop thread mining. Some people can't be pleased.

On a not completely unrelated note can we get the search function to allow 3 letter words. I tried to search 'oil' for aussie 6s and it won't let me. Only 4 letter words or more. I tried oil and BF and it said try again not vaild.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Type in *oil that will bring it up.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
Just leave it be and lets the mods do their jobs. Thats what they are here for.
I do agree with StealthAu about the whingers, post a new thread "oi use the flaming search button" , Dig up an old thread with something important to add "Stop thread mining. Some people can't be pleased.
i cant agree more. I myself have copped flack for either not using search or ,then using search and digging up an old thread.... sometimes think people take things waaay to serious and its a forum after all, a source of information.... who cares how old it is, we all here to learn about something new regardless of age, maybe the whingers are also know it all's?

its a forum FFS stop taking it so serious all the time

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Hate old threads being mined that have been started with "Thinking of buying a new BA .... what should I do!" type ones only to relise after 10 minutes if reading, its so old the OP probably did buy it 3 years ago and since sold it and bought an FG! Old technical threads or the like are usually fine by me.

Some argumentitive ones ..... "Should I drive with my fog lights on or off .... " should just die rather than being rehashed .... probably even be killed at conception come to think of it.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I don't see any problem with 'thread mining"; nobody is making anyone read any thread new or old.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Thread mining pushes newer threads off the page.
And Mods have to read regardless to make sure everyone is playing nice.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post