Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
dogfish

Default Adult Diesel Apprenticeship Wanted

Hi all I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a lead in Brisbane for an adult apprenticeship as a diesel fitter.
I am a qualified Fitter/Machinist by trade and am currently working in the hydraulic industry as a fitter/machinist I also weld and oxy cut silver solder and braze etc.
I just want to get my Diesel ticket and do earth moving repairs as well as heavy transport.
My current company won't put me on as an apprentice as there are no diesel fitters that work with us even though we work on all types of pumps engines and gearbox's etc.
Any information is most appreciated.

dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Earthmoving and the mining sector is in major slowdown mode at the moment.
With very little signs at the moment of any momentum.
Work is there, just bugger all and no-ones spending big.

You will find it very hard at the moment, to get a job with a major company to employ you as an Apprentice.
Heavy Vehicles (Road Transport) would seem to be a slightly better way to go.

Where I work, about 5-7 jobs have come up in the last 6-8 months (company size of about 700ish).

It's really slow.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
dogfish

Default Yeah its slow alright

Yeah we are owned by a drill company who blast the shelfs in the pits we only do open cut stuff but it has slowed drastically.
I was talking to a guy at hastings his name is Rob Hall and he said there are a couple of positions coming up in july/august for apps.
I know there are alot of hire companies even slowing down around brissie with all the work they are doing on the road. But in saying that I did my first trade in early 90's in Darwin in the marine,mining and oil industries and it was sluggish then to so I will just have to hit the pavement I just wish my partner would move to Darwin there's heaps going on up there.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
thirsty
Whhhaaaaaa

I Did an adult apprenticeship with the brisban city council working on thier bus fleet.
from memory the hourly rate was betwee 3rd and 4th year then when you are 4th year you get the normal rate. it was a great place to learn as they do all of their own work in house ie engine gearbox and injector pump overhaulls. they normally advertise around august to october. check out the careers section on the website.
thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I actually wonder if we'll put on any apprentice's this year (as in, apprentice intake for Jan 2010 start). I was in amongst 20 odd apprentice's employed, but that was the last intake we had for about 3 odd years, because of the '91-'92 recession.
I feel like it will be on hold for a few months. Maybe a July 2010 intake rather than a Jan start.
The problem you might face, if it spills into next year, is "school leavers" will put in for jobs that usually released around the august timeline.
It's frustrating, I know.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post