Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
rhysieboyy

Default audio system controls

hey guys on my mates vx comodore he has to get a little box or something for his sound system so he can still use the steering wheel controls is that the same with the au sounds systems when i upgrade it?can peoples upload pics of there sound system set ups please?cheers rhys

rhysieboyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep you can get a little box, its called a CAT09 or 10, it splices in to your audio controls from the steering wheel. For most head units it will have a little IR sender that you will need to mount so it points in the direction of your head unit. With Alpine units it will plug straight into the back of the head unit.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Hey mate I've got a similar system on mine, the easiest way to make this work is buy a headunit that has steering wheel compatibility, my pioneer 7750-MP has the wires to connect it up already included.

Dont get me wrong im sure that jaycar or someone has made a converter to suit, but it is much easier and most likely more reliable if it is inbuilt into the HU
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
rhysieboyy

hey pmpdau where bouts in melton r u from?wat is head unit worth can u post a pic?thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Just in the central area, its about 2 years old so they dont make it anymore.....ill see if i can drag up a pic when I get home
Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
rhysieboyy

central area is that like near james cook drive??
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

near barries road, sorry mate I dont give out my street address online lol
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
rhysieboyy

hahah nahh fair enough just asking coz im goin to melton for the weekend so i thought i might try and spot u out some where lol
Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

haha no problems mate, theres not many AU's in melton like mine so if im out it should be pretty easy to spot.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
rhysieboyy

hahah truee that its wonder urs hasnt been stolen yett,,every weekend something happens to me uncles house in melton 3 weekend after they moved in some kid stole a flare gun of his dad and shot it at my uncles el sedan and laser found the dimwit 40mins later with burns to his hands at the bacchusmarsh hospital
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.thecat.net.au/cat10.htm

the one NC1183 was talking about
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
gregsAUII
Me AU's cheap and clean.

Ok so if i'm going to rip out my stock unit out whats the best set up with a after market head deck the NC1183 or an IR set up , whats some setups that you guys are using.

Is there any head decks out there that you can hook you controls directly up to??

Daily - 2013 SR5 Hilux
Toy - 2000 AUII Falcon
Toy - 2010 Kawasaki ZX10-R
Her's - 2017 Camry SX
gregsAUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
veqlargh

Hmm i have a JVC head unit how hard are these things to install. Actually does anyone know how much they go for.

Last edited by veqlargh; 06-08-2009 at 08:21 PM.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veqlargh
Hmm i have a JVC head unit how hard are these things to install. Actually does anyone know how much they go for.
Yeah, I also have a JVC and a Cat10.

No probs at all to install and works perfectly. Cost around $200.

Have a read of the installation instructions (pdf) at the bottom of the page.
http://www.thecat.net.au/cat10.htm
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
the easiest way to make this work is buy a headunit that has steering wheel compatibility, my pioneer 7750-MP has the wires to connect it up already included.
Nice. Only took 'em a decade.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is another page with cat set up for variouse cars. http://www.thecat.net.au/Images/CAT1...structions.PDF
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
veqlargh

Thanks for the links guys. Looks easy enough to install but its bloody expensive for what it does imo. Think i can live without steering wheel controls.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veqlargh
Thanks for the links guys. Looks easy enough to install but its bloody expensive for what it does imo. Think i can live without steering wheel controls.
i just bought a nice sony single din 52 w x 4 set with usb and ipod thingy, it is much better than the old one.......... but boyoboy i miss the steering wheel controls.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #19
dannowon3
>>DǻЙ<<

I know right, Ive just gone and paid the 200 for a CAT10 for my AU Fairmont finally after 3 months of going without because it was bugging me without my Steering Wheel Controls, I went and paid 450 for a good Kenwood head unit and still had to fork out another 200 for the CAT.. It is worth it if you thing about it, I can honestly say I really didnt like driving without the buttons but I refuse to pay another 150 to 200 to get it installed. Im going to try it myself first and then we'll see.. The wiring isnt complicated considering I got the Kenwood in easy.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let us know how you go, on another note dam i love these usb sticks , the one gig stick supplied with the unit can apparently hold about 500 songs give or take, no more flipping cd`s damaged cd`s, only thing that is a consideration is front or rear usb port, my young brother pointed out had i got a unit with a rear usb port i could have run a usb cable to the console some where in a nice pozzy, A. no wear and tear on the port B. no chance of damaging the stick or the set, as there is that danger on front of the unit.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #21
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
my young brother pointed out had i got a unit with a rear usb port i could have run a usb cable to the console some where in a nice pozzy, A. no wear and tear on the port B. no chance of damaging the stick or the set, as there is that danger on front of the unit.
I was after a front usb port when I bought my JVC.

At the time I had to choose between a Kenwood with front usb port and JVC with lead to the rear.
The JVC had more of the features that I wanted so I bought that in the belief that a front usb would have been better.

Well, I've got the usb lead in the glovebox and I have 3 x 4GB usb sticks which is overkill as 4GB of mp3's gets me to Cooktown and back, but it's good to have variety, lol.

All in all I'm very pleased with the way it turned out
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah same here RONWEST .