Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Having you test driven cars?
Yes, always before making my decision 58 80.56%
Never, my mind and heart are already made up. 11 15.28%
Whats a car? 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A thought occures (re test driving)

Im having a discussion with a friend (see the cruze thread to see how thats going) Anyway, she mentioned taking cars for test drives. And it made me wonder, what percentage of people have/do test drive cars before buying??

I've bought 4 cars in my reasonably short existence (age 25) including 2 brand new fords. I've never test driven a car, at all.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always test driven cars even for other people, not just cars I'm going to purchase. You want to know the basics of how the car handles, how it sounds, if it blows smoke, etc. etc. etc.

I think anyone that doesn't test drive is a fool
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Scott

I test drive the model but not always the exact car. I'm happy to buy online and have done so for my last few.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 of the cars I've bought weren't road worthy (XB coupe and 4 door cortina) the 2 door cortina i bought when i was 15 (so couldn't drive it) I was sold on the XP ute and the first time i drove it was on the way home. The BA i bought and the first time i drove a new car at all was when i was taking it home. The FG XR was the same, The first time i'd ever been in or driven a turbo falcon was taking it home from the dealership.

Obviously i buy with my heart, not my head.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I've test driven every car I've bought. I'm with Melz, anyone who doesn't test drive is asking for trouble IMO. Unless of course it is a brand new car that has to be pre-ordered, obviously you cant test drive in that case.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

To give a good idea, when shopping for my BA I tested over 25 cars, as I was aware of BA issues and knew that just because paint can look nice, doesn't mean the engine, trans and diff will be the same. Understandably a brand new car is different but 2nd hand?? You're mad not to test. It's a given!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Im also 25 and have bought 2 new fords. Test drove the ranger, but heart was set on a new XR6, didnt test drive it and ended up driving away a turbo.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've test driven everything and i think i've had them all (5 or 6 cars, i'm 27) checked by mechanics before buying, even when buying from family/friends.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
torbirdie

You do have the right to take a new car that you have ordered for a test drive before accepting final delivery.

Personally I recommend anyone go and at least sit in a new car they want to purchase, get in and out of the car etc. Especially if you are 6ft+ or less than 5ft4 etc.

Cant remember, think it was the XF, couldnt get the seat back far enough , I felt I was too close to the windscreen, or other cars where the door openings are low and the seats are high and one has to duck head too much to get in and out.
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't test drive my car before I bought. I went for a ride in the passenger seat and that was good enough for me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Test drove all but the GT i got new, but i had driven many other B series XR8 / GT's and knew thats what i wanted
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it looks like the large majority of people test drive before making up their minds.

Maybe its just me, buying classic's I've always had the thought process of 'I no its gunna be alittle iffy, but im prepared to spend time working on it'. And with new cars, Im a Ford Falcon man, I no their gunna be good (certainly a step up from an XP to a BA thats for sure) and when it came time to buy the XR T, well I was sold on the T before even getting a price, I just wanted one.

Infact, To be honest, with new cars I've never even been offered a test drive, perhaps because i walk into dealers and say, Falcon 'whatever' price, colour and trans options please, sign and done. Call me when its ready to be picked up.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69

Infact, To be honest, with new cars I've never even been offered a test drive, perhaps because i walk into dealers and say, Falcon 'whatever' price, colour and trans options please, sign and done. Call me when its ready to be picked up.
You my friend, are the perfect customer...... The dealers must fight amongst themselves to get your business.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tried to test drive a new BA XR6 at a few dealers when I was out looking at the time (and did buy).

Most Ford sales people were too busy reading the papers it seems. Made sure I went on a weekday mid morning between work appointments (I know weekends at dealers are very busy) I was well dressed, polite, indictated I was ready to buy and there were demo's there - but the best I got was being referred to the Ford website.

Yeah, already been there and printed most of the stuff off mate...

Just had to wing it and go off driving an XT fleet hack at work and my mates AU XR to get the idea - even though BA changed much of the suspension.

Other than that, yes - always test drive.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I test drive all the cars I'll buy.

They don't have to offer buy I will ask.

I only test drive if I'm going to buy the car to make sure my decision on the car is correct.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #16
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Bought cars of ebay without driving them. The BA, I just told the dealer what I wanted and he got it and I drove it for the first time home. When I was looking at G6E's I took a turbo for a drive because I could but still got the non turbo and didnt drive it until I picked it up. The AU ute I bought second hand and did the negotiations over the phone. I did drive a Ranger before I ordered one though as I hadn't been in one before ..... and thats the only reason I drove it around the block. Wheels turned and the indicator worked so I bought it.

When I bought the Landau, it wouldn't start, got a battery when I went to pick it up, got it going and (just) drove it home ..... that was an interesting drive!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I always test drive 3 - 4... Last time i test drove FG GT, FG F6, G6E T, HSV R8 and ended up with the GT... Alot of it comes down to personal preference therefore test driving i think is an important factor...

The only car i never test drove was a BFII Super Pursuit before i bought mine, and that was a mistake as i didnt like the seats!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'm not handing over $50k+ until I'm able to take a spin behind the wheel and make a comparison with other cars I'm considering as a new car purchase.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Oh yeah ill test drive them. Some cars no matter how much you research, how good they look on paper, sometimes just dont suit. I tested brand a Fiesta and Mazda 2 immediately changed my mind and learned to love the 2.

With used cars despite there apparent condition and klms, some just dont feel like they should. Some cars Ive driven with 100,000 on them, feel better than cars with 40,000 on them. And others just feel like theyve been in an almighty crash.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I have found that when it comes to test driving new cars it is a little pointless as it maybe not the car you purchase as there are options that you might want to add & are not available until upon delivery. one case was test driving daughters mazda 2 (which was not even built at the time of test) so it was a demo that I tested and it had a bung clutch,(travel was to high and at point of slipping ). I made a point about it to the salesperson and they promised that it would be tested on arrival and the clutch tested. So it arrives & was pointed out that at delivery that it tested and it was fine, no problems. But I think used cars are a must.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always test them. I was going to get the gte, but the seats sucked - i could not get comfy in them, so i passed on it. I also take them home and do what i would normally do with a car to find the niggles. The gtp did not impress me on a short drive, but after having one for the weekend I knew i had to have one.
The xr6t took 2 minutes to know i liked it, but an ss i brought home told me no way with the ergonomic things that annoyed me (like the huge a pillars).

The only one i did not test drive was my drag coupe!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post