Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #31
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
The tog police in Vic do courses on picking the basics of a roadwortheness.

They are not experts in every detail of modifacations. So if by chance you do get checked & defected its your responsability to prove its not.

The motto is keep a low profile. But if you want to gather in groups to hoon or attract the attention of the police you face the consiquenses.

buickman
Thats sounds fair, The Vic police up here are reasonably good, its the Albury cops.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #32
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Hmm, if that law is referring to the tow BALL, then that's no real trouble (but stupid), however if it's referring to the entire towbar, then it's absolutely ridiculous! Are we supposed to completely remove the entire towbar, and just bolt it back on when we're going to use it?

Idiots!
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #33
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorosfalcon
well i hate to burst all of your bubbles but yes it is illegal to have your towbar TOUNGUES on unless you are towing something.
So what about towbars where the toungue can't be removed from the rest of the tow bar? Does that mean that these ones are illegal?
Old 21-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #34
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
In theory changing a BOV especially to a atmosphere venting one will change the signal recieved by your MAF which could potentially cause the car to run rich and have more emissions.
just to be picky, the singnal will not change if your car has a MAF sensor, as this sensor is after the BOV, so the signal will not change as it has not calcualted the air yet. while a car with a AFM such as on the ford V8s and most jap cars are before the BOV and this will cause the car to run rich, which is why you see alot of cars with BOVs backfire a little when changing gears.

A car with a plumed back BOV keeps the air circulated within the air intake and will not effect the running of the car. All turbo cars must have a BOV to stop the pressurised air rushing back to the turbo after the throttle has snaped shut, this will cause premature wear on the turbo.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #35
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You have to remove the hitch/tounge if it's feasable to do so.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #36
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f100_mad
The problem is that people mod cars, without looking into the work being done to that car. Everybody should research their ideas, to gain information to make the right changes in the right way, engineers are always happy to help in anyway possible, you just have to ask them, they will tell you what you can and cannot do to a car. In south australia, Smart people who know cars also can mod a car (illegaly) and then sell it to less car minded people who then get sprung. just do your home work first.
that happen to somebody i new, it had so much illegal stuff in it but they didnt no the rules and at rego time it got defected (yes the guy who did it was a bastard).
after watching that experence it makes you just wanna spend a little bit more money and buy a stock car and make the mods yourself. at least you no you are doing the wrong thing or right thing .At least this way you wont be like wtf i bought this car for x amount of dolllars and i need to spend x amount of dollars just to make it legal, i might as well just have bought a car and done it properly.

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #37
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I read somewhere that a guy got pulled up by the police and he was asked to pop his bonnet which he did. The policeman says "What V8 is that" Not sure what happened next, but it was a 6. The policeman was convinced it was a V8.
i would slowly and surely count the amount of exsaust outlets are on it 1...2....3......4...........5..................... ..6

Old 21-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #38
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
You have to remove the hitch/tounge if it's feasable to do so.
Ahh, ok, so how about this tow bar I've got that I was considering putting on the XF?

I'm guessing I could fit it, but I'd have to remove the tow ball if I'm not towing?
Old 21-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #39
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

dw man some cops that just got devorced might book you for it

Old 21-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #40
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

Been there and done that, Got busted and now got smarter and wiser!

The story is; on forced induction cars you can have only one change to the air induction system, either a intercooler or Air pod -> catch is the air pod has to be enclosed so it does not realease to the atmosphere and gets cold air not hot and cold. The BOV can only be plumb back -> Best ones are the factory R33 GTR BOV's.
As for a Nataurally Aspirated vehicle -> air mods are endless and the cops can't say .

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #41
Matto_84
97 EL Futura 5 speed

To what I have eard about towbars you only have to remove a towbar and ball when your not towing if you have a hayman reese fitting.

This one is from my XF, put the Towbar in the end of that and I was told that I can be booked for it.

But if it is bolted in you dont have to remove it at all.

I got a towbar on the EL too, and I wouldn';t want to try and remove it, it is bolted under the bumpers and if any copper thinks im gonner take off my bumper to take of a towbar they have got another thing coming!!
Matto_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #42
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm .. I specifically leave the tow hitch on both my cars to stop people "touch" parking ...... I think I'll just me waiting until I get pulled over about it.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

This is sad and depressing.

It does not matter what we say, the police have close to no idea and can hand out infringement notices based on knowing nothing. It doesn't matter how polite you are and how much you cooperate, you can still get done.

Unfortunally it is accepted to defect a modified car but not a dangerous one. It is comical that we see so many illegally driven vehicles on the road yet those of us with safe cars get pulled over.

What can we do?
Nothing! Not a thing. Sit back and take it? That's pretty much it.

The MaDDeSTMaN - You can unbolt your tounge, that is the legal requirement when not towing.

[sarcasm]But on a stock car it is legal to have bald tyres, soft brakes, miss aligned wheels, odd sided wheels, non working lights, missing mirrors, etc[end-sarcasm]

Moral of the story.
Do not spend money on your car, not even on maintainence, then you will not get defected or have issues with the police!!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #44
Matto_84
97 EL Futura 5 speed

If I got caught for something stupid on my car and I had an engineers certificate for it and I recently did a roadworthy I would take the buggers in front of a magistrate and see what they have to say then!!. I will stand for my rights anytime!
Matto_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #45
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Doesn't matter ... my "future" brother-in-law in a police officer at Blacktown (western Sydney) ... and if he pulls someone over ... and they wave an "engineer's certificate" in his face ... and using attitude ... he gets the defect book out ... and still defects them.

And Engineer's Certificate does not mean you will NOT get a defect ever ... it just makes it a lot easier to clear them afterwards.

No matter what ... you will get a defect ... but it comes down to a few things.

1) The way to drive on the road (drive like an idiot ... they will target you)
2) Attitude (act all blaise and be a know-it-all ... they are just itching to put you in your spot).

Now if you are apologetic and friendly (not too friendly though ... it can act against you) ... you have more chance of them not worrying about it.

Unless you car is VERY noticable (ie: noticably illegal).

Just some words of wisdom from a Blacktown copper (he also had a modified car himself ... and knows some things on his car could be defectable too).

Moral of the story ... be nice to the copper ... and act dumb sometimes too ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 02:17 AM   #46
luke

when's the last time you saw an old volvo with a defect sticker? the old 244's have a nasty habit of letting the rear muffler half hang off... i see them all the time... in a way i can't wait till i'm an old fart.... then at least i wont get targeted lol
as someone has already said in this thread... it's so depressing that we can't do anything about it...

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 03:00 AM   #47
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
[sarcasm]But on a stock car it is legal to have bald tyres, soft brakes, miss aligned wheels, odd sided wheels, non working lights, missing mirrors, etc[end-sarcasm]

Moral of the story.
Do not spend money on your car, not even on maintainence, then you will not get defected or have issues with the police!!!
I AGREE! I saw this report earlier and thought "Damn here we go, ill get pulled over more out: " I cant count HOW MANY box, beat up EB/VN/ Corolla's etc that have been waved thru at a police Roadworthy thing they have setup on the side of the road, yet they see me and think "CHA CHING!"
I go to ALOT of effort to make sure everything is rwc on my car. Yet last week im told "Im one of those erratic driving P platers" by a cop who pulled me over in the maccas carpark cause they needed to fill there quota or something.

Anyone who has a slightly done up car seems to get hassled, where 'old man Barry' up the road in his crappy HIGHLY Unroadworthy corolla doesnt get looked at twice. But we will tailgate any P plater or done up car in the area. The cops around here seem to love pulling me over but whats this? pull over the DRUNK OLDFARTS in there Patrols/landcruisers/Hilux's driving on the wrong site of my street, attempting burnouts and driving all over the place? No thats too hard, lets hassle the few kids in the area who LOOK AFTER THERE CARS!

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #48
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

totally agree with this thread, 2 weeks ago i was driving down geelong road footscray, a tog was driving beside me, infront of me was a seriously riced up CRX, now if i woas a cop i would oif defected to too. it wass so low a cruched coke can wouldnt fit, but what was funni was that next to the crx, was a 82 carolla, with its exhaust scraping on the road, creating sparks, and the sparks were bouncing off the fuel tank, now which car do u rekon the pulled over???
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post